Nippy Normans supply Touratech, Wunderlich and many other makes of accessories. Fantastic service and unbelievable performance.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: not so Good Vibrations

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Stop..... no HT discussion allowed on this post.. we need to find answer to this problem!!

mind you, I did think mine was the dogs after HT, but this new one is just as good, if not better... Mmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by NomadLad View Post
    I havent done the shaft yet, waiting on delivery of some parts. Then will do the FD oil change and the shaft re-grease. Maybe tomorrow if it arrives.

Yeh that sounds about right for mine also. Interesting point about the angle of the shaft, never thought about that!

I'm 110kg in gear so I tend to run one setting up on the config, ie. 'Rider + Luggage' for myself and 'Rider + Pillion' for me and luggage or two-up.
    None of this makes any difference as if it was the tyres or shaft it would vibrate relative to road speed not engine speed, you may change the feeling of it when fully load as the bike requires more throttle to maintain a given road speed, the vibration will lessen if you are travelling uphill for the same reason.

Quote Originally Posted by beaver View Post
    Stop..... no HT discussion allowed on this post.. we need to find answer to this problem!!
    That should be a site policy. Maybe it would show the same integrity that the s1000r forum did.

On topic, I still have a hunch tyres play a part, I’m itching to see if it changes when I change mine since changing them started it. Could be coincidence though.

I'm not sure how... as CPJS says, its engine RPM related.. so clutch maybe, transfer shaft, gearbox input shaft related... gears themselves?

Does it feel like something heavy is bouncing about in there also... I think i noticed this at the same time?

I'm not sure how... as CPJS says, its engine RPM related.. so clutch maybe, transfer shaft, gearbox input shaft related... gears themselves?

Does it feel like something heavy is bouncing about in there also... I think i noticed this at the same time?
    I m fairly confident it’s not the clutch as I’ve had mine apart for the clutch rod update. The plates, basket, pressure plate and at least the last part of the rod ( it’s 3 parts) were pristine with no signs of wear.

Gearbox or shaft maybe but were it a bearing I suspect it would deteriorate yet mine has been the same for nearly 5k now.

mind you, I did think mine was the dogs after HT, but this new one is just as good, if not better... Mmmmm
    Totally agree, the new signed up trolls can feck off, now back to logic, lets remember the new Euro 4 bikes had some subtle but positive changes, read below.

2018 BMW R1200GS Adventure Highlights

Updates to the engine and exhaust to meet Euro4
    Drive-train updates carried over from 2017 R1200GS
    Styling & option updates
    Five-model line-up: Adventure £13,400 / Rallye £13,860 / TE £17,120 / Triple Black £17,535 / Rallye TE 17,670

Already treated to a half-upgrade for 2017, when it adopted the current GS drivetrain modifications for smoother final drive and gearbox operation, the 2018 model also gets a revised exhaust system and engine mapping to make it Euro4 compliant – while maintaining identical performance figures. Visually there were a host of nips and tucks to the instantly recognisable style, too. The colours for 2018 are all new, but very little else has changed for the standard version of the Adventure from the 2017 model.

This subtle evolution ought not be overly obvious in motion, but there is a notable improvement in the smoothness of the drive over pre-17 models, especially low in the rev range. The pick-up and surge of vibe-free acceleration from as low as 2500rpm is impressively creamy, and the gearbox feels crisp and precise – especially though the optional bi-directional quickshifter.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/...rst-ride-test/

if its not in the clutch then it suggests gearbox.. but if its not getting worst?.. So it appeared quite quick, but has not deteriorated since?

It did feel very mechanical to me.. but could a re-flash cure the problem?

if its not in the clutch then it suggests gearbox.. but if its not getting worst?.. So it appeared quite quick, but has not deteriorated since?

It did feel very mechanical to me.. but could a re-flash cure the problem?
    From Bennetts gives an insight into a few interesting dates and changes.

There have been a few updates to the R1200GS (a steering damper arrived in 2014) and also a partial update, which is a bit odd. In 2016 a stop-gap model (often called the 2016.5) was released that used an updated 2017-spec engine in the 2016 bike’s frame, however the major update was to the 2017 model. The 2017 R1200GS features a Euro4-compliant boxer motor with altered cats and a new judder damper on the output shaft with the selector drum actuator and transmission shafts also revised for smoother gear changes.

Quote Originally Posted by NomadLad View Post
    Brilliant, thanks for all the help.
    Just a heads up on the Motoscan app, I went into the garage to see how the part in the app ESA works at what it offers, and surprise it does not connect to the ESA, I am going to email the software company, and see if the have an update, or is it just a future feature.

I read a lot about it on the net last night. It’s common to all the boxer models and some k1600 owners too. For some it goes away with mileage and some it develops. Some of those with it have “tuned” engines. Many say it’s load dependant which rules out fueling and may point to shaft angle or something similar.

The common denominator given the k1600 has a different engine config would seem to be the shaft drive unless they share some internal gearbox parts. A few say metzeler tyres exacerbate it which is what I have. There are literally hundreds of posts going back well before the lc models and no one has found a cure so I suspect the holy grail fix doesn’t exist.

2017 R1200GSA & Africa Twin Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    It could be a 'perfect storm' scenario not necessarily equal to other bikes, but has the same end result.

Basically everyone chasing their own unique version of vibrations....

What cures one bike, has no effect on another... in the old days they called it 'character'

Quote Originally Posted by spoonz View Post
    I read a lot about it on the net last night. It’s common to all the boxer models and some k1600 owners too. For some it goes away with mileage and some it develops. Some of those with it have “tuned” engines. Many say it’s load dependant which rules out fueling and may point to shaft angle or something similar.

The common denominator given the k1600 has a different engine config would seem to be the shaft drive unless they share some internal gearbox parts. A few say metzeler tyres exacerbate it which is what I have. There are literally hundreds of posts going back well before the lc models and no one has found a cure so I suspect the holy grail fix doesn’t exist.
    Maybe we should all buy an Electric motorbike, problem solved..................

2017 R1200GSA & Africa Twin Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Smogbob View Post
    Then you'll get electrostatic interference with your mobile electrical devices and people will be moaning about that.... and the tyre noise is too loud.... and the airflow is too noisy above 300 mph

Oh my god, can you see any corrosion yet?

Maybe but we would then probably get assholes peddling electric motor tunes instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    Then you'll get electrostatic interference with your mobile electrical devices and people will be moaning about that.... and the tyre noise is too loud.... and the airflow is too noisy above 300 mph
    And helmet noise, lets get back to the thread.............

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

Just a heads up on the Motoscan app, I went into the garage to see how the part in the app ESA works at what it offers, and surprise it does not connect to the ESA, I am going to email the software company, and see if the have an update, or is it just a future feature.
    Answer to this is ESA calibration not available for LC,s so only GS-911 can do this at the moment, answer below from software maker who is German before the spellcheckers jump in.

The ESA is on this bike in the SAF module integrated. ESA calibration is at the time only on not LC models possible.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast