not so Good Vibrations

I tried it with my 911, but didnt change a thing... I had the same. my last bike was manual shocks so I had them up on max pre-load for 2 up touring. Took all the boxes off and the pillion and went out by myself for the day.. it was horrid. Turned the pre-load down to one rider and it almost went.. so pre-load does play a big part in transfering the feeling to the pegs.. it also may change the angle of the shaft a bit if only one up?
My rear tyre was about due for a change .. Pilot 3, but I can't see why that would cause it?
did you do the shaft.. was it okay?

I havent done the shaft yet, waiting on delivery of some parts. Then will do the FD oil change and the shaft re-grease. Maybe tomorrow if it arrives.

Yeh that sounds about right for mine also. Interesting point about the angle of the shaft, never thought about that!

I'm 110kg in gear so I tend to run one setting up on the config, ie. 'Rider + Luggage' for myself and 'Rider + Pillion' for me and luggage or two-up.

I havent done the shaft yet, waiting on delivery of some parts. Then will do the FD oil change and the shaft re-grease. Maybe tomorrow if it arrives.

Yeh that sounds about right for mine also. Interesting point about the angle of the shaft, never thought about that!

I'm 110kg in gear so I tend to run one setting up on the config, ie. 'Rider + Luggage' for myself and 'Rider + Pillion' for me and luggage or two-up.

it is annoying.. i found myself trying to make it do it instead of just riding the thing.. but it annoyed me that much that I had to get rid. I talked to the guy's at the dealers but they claimed no one had ever seen it before?... I've no idea how... reading this post why its not noticed?... and as I say, the 4 LC's i've been on from 1K to 18k all did it to some extent. it must be known about...

see that the shaft is like.. i could only think it might have a tight spot on it, but there again its engine RPM related on mine and not final drive related??.. I think pre-load just makes it all stiffer so it transfers the vibes more... but LC's have been around for quite a while now. Someone must know what it is... does the 1250 have the same box??..

Also.. are we all on cast wheels.. may transfer more than spokes?

BTW.. what oil you using.. mine got bad within 2K of using Motul.. ?

it is annoying.. i found myself trying to make it do it instead of just riding the thing.. but it annoyed me that much that I had to get rid. I talked to the guy's at the dealers but they claimed no one had ever seen it before?... I've no idea how... reading this post why its not noticed?... and as I say, the 4 LC's i've been on from 1K to 18k all did it to some extent. it must be known about...

see that the shaft is like.. i could only think it might have a tight spot on it, but there again its engine RPM related on mine and not final drive related??.. I think pre-load just makes it all stiffer so it transfers the vibes more... but LC's have been around for quite a while now. Someone must know what it is... does the 1250 have the same box??..

Also.. are we all on cast wheels.. may transfer more than spokes?

BTW.. what oil you using.. mine got bad within 2K of using Motul.. ?

I'd say the dealers are well aware of it, but its too expensive for them to go digging into the gearbox to sort and it would probably not lead to a catastrophic failure for a very long time.

Yeh its the same with mine, varies with gear and rpm just as you described. Not sure about the 1250, I'm guessing it was updated, because again, I'd say they know about it.

I'm on spoked wheels. Never thought of that though.

The oil in it was from the dealer so I'm guessing it was the BMW Advantec stuff, and there was only about 3500 miles on it, I replaced it with Castrol Power 1 4t 5W-40.
Seems nice for now, but they all do initially. Castrol always did well for me before on my other bikes though.

I'm not sure?.. mine went down hill fast... just before it went, I could feel it in all gears except 1st... dealer didn't have an issue taking it even though I had mentioned it to them before?... so maybe its easy to fix?

I did wonder if it was front end and the clutch / transfer gears bouncing about.. does it feel like the engine internals are loose and bouncing about at times? think at low RPM, if I pulled the clutch in and reved it slightly, i could feel a slight knocking / rumble sometimes?... although with the clutch in, you'd think it would hold it tight as its in compression??...

Very poor though.. I think they are designed to last 20K now and then you throw them away and buy a new one??.. :)

I'm not sure?.. mine went down hill fast... just before it went, I could feel it in all gears except 1st... dealer didn't have an issue taking it even though I had mentioned it to them before?... so maybe its easy to fix?

I did wonder if it was front end and the clutch / transfer gears bouncing about.. does it feel like the engine internals are loose and bouncing about at times? think at low RPM, if I pulled the clutch in and reved it slightly, i could feel a slight knocking / rumble sometimes?... although with the clutch in, you'd think it would hold it tight as its in compression??...

Very poor though.. I think they are designed to last 20K now and then you throw them away and buy a new one??.. :)

Certainly will not if that happens to mine.............

Hi CPJS.
Can you just clarify one thing. Was it the visit to hilltop that made your bike so smooth or has your bike always been smooth?
Thanks

Hi CPJS.
Can you just clarify one thing. Was it the visit to hilltop that made your bike so smooth or has your bike always been smooth?
Thanks

Is it national HT troll day ?

Stop..... no HT discussion allowed on this post.. we need to find answer to this problem!!

mind you, I did think mine was the dogs after HT, but this new one is just as good, if not better... Mmmmm

None of this makes any difference as if it was the tyres or shaft it would vibrate relative to road speed not engine speed, you may change the feeling of it when fully load as the bike requires more throttle to maintain a given road speed, the vibration will lessen if you are travelling uphill for the same reason.

Stop..... no HT discussion allowed on this post.. we need to find answer to this problem!!

That should be a site policy. Maybe it would show the same integrity that the s1000r forum did.

On topic, I still have a hunch tyres play a part, I’m itching to see if it changes when I change mine since changing them started it. Could be coincidence though.

I'm not sure how... as CPJS says, its engine RPM related.. so clutch maybe, transfer shaft, gearbox input shaft related... gears themselves?

Does it feel like something heavy is bouncing about in there also... I think i noticed this at the same time?

I'm not sure how... as CPJS says, its engine RPM related.. so clutch maybe, transfer shaft, gearbox input shaft related... gears themselves?

Does it feel like something heavy is bouncing about in there also... I think i noticed this at the same time?

I m fairly confident it’s not the clutch as I’ve had mine apart for the clutch rod update. The plates, basket, pressure plate and at least the last part of the rod ( it’s 3 parts) were pristine with no signs of wear.

Gearbox or shaft maybe but were it a bearing I suspect it would deteriorate yet mine has been the same for nearly 5k now.

mind you, I did think mine was the dogs after HT, but this new one is just as good, if not better... Mmmmm

Totally agree, the new signed up trolls can feck off, now back to logic, lets remember the new Euro 4 bikes had some subtle but positive changes, read below.

2018 BMW R1200GS Adventure Highlights

Updates to the engine and exhaust to meet Euro4
Drive-train updates carried over from 2017 R1200GS
Styling & option updates
Five-model line-up: Adventure £13,400 / Rallye £13,860 / TE £17,120 / Triple Black £17,535 / Rallye TE 17,670

Already treated to a half-upgrade for 2017, when it adopted the current GS drivetrain modifications for smoother final drive and gearbox operation, the 2018 model also gets a revised exhaust system and engine mapping to make it Euro4 compliant – while maintaining identical performance figures. Visually there were a host of nips and tucks to the instantly recognisable style, too. The colours for 2018 are all new, but very little else has changed for the standard version of the Adventure from the 2017 model.

This subtle evolution ought not be overly obvious in motion, but there is a notable improvement in the smoothness of the drive over pre-17 models, especially low in the rev range. The pick-up and surge of vibe-free acceleration from as low as 2500rpm is impressively creamy, and the gearbox feels crisp and precise – especially though the optional bi-directional quickshifter.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/first-rides-tests/bmw-r1200gs-adventure-2018-first-ride-test/

if its not in the clutch then it suggests gearbox.. but if its not getting worst?.. So it appeared quite quick, but has not deteriorated since?

It did feel very mechanical to me.. but could a re-flash cure the problem?

if its not in the clutch then it suggests gearbox.. but if its not getting worst?.. So it appeared quite quick, but has not deteriorated since?

It did feel very mechanical to me.. but could a re-flash cure the problem?

From Bennetts gives an insight into a few interesting dates and changes.

There have been a few updates to the R1200GS (a steering damper arrived in 2014) and also a partial update, which is a bit odd. In 2016 a stop-gap model (often called the 2016.5) was released that used an updated 2017-spec engine in the 2016 bike’s frame, however the major update was to the 2017 model. The 2017 R1200GS features a Euro4-compliant boxer motor with altered cats and a new judder damper on the output shaft with the selector drum actuator and transmission shafts also revised for smoother gear changes.

Brilliant, thanks for all the help. :thumby:

Just a heads up on the Motoscan app, I went into the garage to see how the part in the app ESA works at what it offers, and surprise it does not connect to the ESA, I am going to email the software company, and see if the have an update, or is it just a future feature.

I read a lot about it on the net last night. It’s common to all the boxer models and some k1600 owners too. For some it goes away with mileage and some it develops. Some of those with it have “tuned” engines. Many say it’s load dependant which rules out fueling and may point to shaft angle or something similar.

The common denominator given the k1600 has a different engine config would seem to be the shaft drive unless they share some internal gearbox parts. A few say metzeler tyres exacerbate it which is what I have. There are literally hundreds of posts going back well before the lc models and no one has found a cure so I suspect the holy grail fix doesn’t exist.

It could be a 'perfect storm' scenario not necessarily equal to other bikes, but has the same end result.

Basically everyone chasing their own unique version of vibrations....

What cures one bike, has no effect on another... in the old days they called it 'character'

I read a lot about it on the net last night. It’s common to all the boxer models and some k1600 owners too. For some it goes away with mileage and some it develops. Some of those with it have “tuned” engines. Many say it’s load dependant which rules out fueling and may point to shaft angle or something similar.

The common denominator given the k1600 has a different engine config would seem to be the shaft drive unless they share some internal gearbox parts. A few say metzeler tyres exacerbate it which is what I have. There are literally hundreds of posts going back well before the lc models and no one has found a cure so I suspect the holy grail fix doesn’t exist.

Maybe we should all buy an Electric motorbike, problem solved..................:D

Back
Top Bottom