New quieter helmet!

pitrat101

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm looking to replace my 1yr old Shark evo-one 2 as the noise is horrendous from it. Even fitting foam in vents has not made much difference. Anyone had dealing with a shark squall 2? Or shoei gt air 1 or 2. Any other suggestions on a quiet helmet. Only stipulation is it must have in built sun visor. I run with my screen at lowest setting so the lid works as it should! I find it's less buffering then.

Thanks in advance.

Going to be like a tyre thread this one, go try a Neotec 2 if it works should last you a long time, but we all have different shapes of heads, some have a Schuberth head, C3 pro felt tight on top of forehead for me, and the C4 was perfect, so go figure.....:D

Some Helmets are noisy some aren’t. Some helmets are noisy on some bikes and not on others. Also depends on clothing, mirrors, pillion, handguards, crap mounted on handlebars or dashboard, and so on. Only reliable things I have ever found to cut down noise are one or more of: going slowly, wearing earplugs or removing the screen.

I think shops should be able to lend you a helmet to try out our on your bike in your gear. Only way to find the quietest helmet for your bike/gear combo.

Anything Schuberth is the obvious choice but the Neotec 2 is meant to be quiet.

Neotec 2 is the quietest helmet I've owned. Quality finish as well, way better than the original Neotec

Shoei GT Air 1 is uber quiet and the plushest lining avaialble, its such a nice fit you can hardly hear the salesman trying to sell you it, but the sun visor does not come down far enough, this was sorted with the GT Air 2 with a newer larger sun visor.

Shark Spartans are very nicely put together with a proper full internal sun visor, they get a very good Sharp safety rating as well.

I've had a Nolan N104 Evo for a few years now and it's been excellent. Removable lining, pinlock fitted as standard and internal sun visor. The catch that opens the flip front broke off a few weeks ago and I fancied a new lid so now have the successor to that one the Nolan N100-5.

As good as the first one plus the sun visor comes down in 4 stages, so you can have it quite high which acts like a peak plus you can still see through the clear visor, useful when it's cloudy but the sun peeps through.

Vents are better too. I find it quiet enough but always wear ear plugs and generally have music on, so noise is relative.

ho long is a piece of string?

bit of a pointless question, if you had asked for quiet helmet i would have said shark evo one, as for my head shape its great one of the quietest i have had in years.
Its such a personal thing that any advice is virtually worthless

My last helmet was a shark skwal, had it for 5\6 yrs, good quality and for the £200 Mark a great helmet, I wear ear plugs and had no noise issues.
Went to buy a replacement visor on satrday, shocked by the price, ended up buying a new helmet.
Bought a Skwal 2, slightly different design, super comfy for my head, went out today and again more than happy.
My head shuits Sharks, Shoei but not Arai, so, as has been said depends on loads of factors, but thumbs up from me for the Skwal.:thumb

I've just got a Neotec 2, and to say i'm disappointed is an understatement!
Got a small the same as my GT-AIR and pressure point on forehead, ordered thinner liner but still shite atm.
I'll give it a week or 2 more and see if it breaks in.

Wind noise is a bit noisy at the top air scoop but no biggie.

I'm happy with the Neotec 2. Bought at a show price at the Excel, but picked up at the retailer who also ordered in thicker check-pads & headlining me to try. The cheek-pads were necessary but not the head-lining. The optional linings cost nothing I had not taken the helmet home and they are part of the standard Shoei helmet fitting service.

I've just got a Neotec 2, and to say i'm disappointed is an understatement!
Got a small the same as my GT-AIR and pressure point on forehead, ordered thinner liner but still shite atm.

+1 on this. I went into Helmet City West Bay with a general idea of getting a Neotec 2 and walked out with a C4 Pro as the Neotec just didn't feel right. Glad to say the C4 Pro has been great so far but like others I always wear earplugs so can't really say if it's quiet or not. Does seem a tad quieter than the BMW System 6 that it replaced.

If it's any use to anyone, I was in leeds today and the sportsbikeshop do a try before you buy service. So I will go try the helmets you guys suggested next weekend.

Shoei GT Air 1 is uber quiet and the plushest lining avaialble, its such a nice fit you can hardly hear the salesman trying to sell you it, but the sun visor does not come down far enough, this was sorted with the GT Air 2 with a newer larger sun visor.

Shark Spartans are very nicely put together with a proper full internal sun visor, they get a very good Sharp safety rating as well.

Fit a GT Air 2 sun visor to a GT Air 1, and you have the best of both worlds. ;)

The GTA2 isn’t as quiet, or plush as the 1.

Shoei arent that daft, they are not compatible or else the sales of the GT Air 2 would have been next to none

Wrong. Helmet noise makes my tinnitus worse.

FFS, noise rating is provided for car tyres so why not for new m/c helmets esp in this apparently litigious age. Some professions, eg police riders, have to wear helmets day in day out so employer has duty of care ~ so how does that work for noise? Given sound transfer is by both air and bone / helmet material conduction, ear plugs alone can only achieve so much. As to the ‘well it’s all down to the rider / screen / bike / speed / windy day stuff’ (all true) why not measure the acoustics for ea new helmet fitted to a std manikin on a standardised bike in a wind tunnel as a reference point. Tinnitus is horrendous and it’s hard to believe that we all have to go thru a trial by substitution (£££) to get to a workable solution. Apols, perhaps I should have put this in the rant section, but FFS!

Having owned a BMW System 2 (worn on a base K75 with a handle bar screen), two System 4 Evos, and a Schuberth C2 (on three bikes, R1100RT, FJR1300 and CCM GP450) and now a Shoei Neotec 2 (GP450).
The Schuberth was the poorest quality, the foam backing in the lining disintegrated to a black powder and the lining at my forehead creased giving me a headache on long runs. The Shoei is the most comfortable seeming to accommodate my glasses better than any helmet I’ve owned.
Overall I can honestly say I have not noticed much difference in noise between any of them (wearing earplugs).
I think there are just too many variables for any standard to be set.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom