suspension

justdave

Reaction score
hi how long do you think they last , i have a std gs TE 2018 with 7500 miles on it two up with luggage for about 6000 of that ,
it now feels like the damping is not as sharp as it used to be .anyone had the same?.

I've just posted something similar.
I'm sure the damping on my 2018 Rallye has change in the 6 weeks I've owned it.

They generally last 5-30,000mls I have had 3 fail on 2 bikes all replaced under warranty, if they go early it is around the 6,000ml mark.
They can fail in all sorts of ways damping, preload or electronics.

Think if you guys are not seeing the tell tale oil leak coming from the shocks, and bikes are under warranty, take them to BMW and explain shocks are bouncy, they might just need to be calibrated again, or changing out.

Mine were shot at 14000 miles.

Switched over to Ohlins now. In my opinion ESA is brilliant when it works and is healthy. Unfortunately it doesn't last long.

Mine were shot at 14000 miles.

Switched over to Ohlins now. In my opinion ESA is brilliant when it works and is healthy. Unfortunately it doesn't last long.

Indeed, that's why I have the TT D-ESA shock on it's way to me as I write.

Firefox Racing as recommended on here when my one failed, two week turn around,£249. The rebound damping had gone, much cheaper than any after market shocks or a BMW one. Comes with a 1 year guarantee.

This past week I noticed a bit more bounce in the suspension and upped the damping to Hard (ESA 2016 16,000 miles) which was better but I though maybe my shocks were on their way out... then I thought maybe it’s the hot weather.

6 months ago the Hard setting was too much on bumpy back roads and in town, but this past week or so I’ve found it just about right.

Could that be it? I’m new to this set up and not even sure what they use for damping.

Or like someone said they just need recalibrate and a service... or they’re just knackered ;-))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This past week I noticed a bit more bounce in the suspension and upped the damping to Hard (ESA 2016 16,000 miles) which was better but I though maybe my shocks were on their way out... then I thought maybe it’s the hot weather.

6 months ago the Hard setting was too much on bumpy back roads and in town, but this past week or so I’ve found it just about right.

Could that be it? I’m new to this set up and not even sure what they use for damping.

Or like someone said they just need recalibrate and a service... or they’re just knackered ;-))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every now and again it is good to change the settings on the shocks just to keep away any corrosion, every few months I just run mine through the settings once or twice, Auto, Max Min with the engine running in the garage, it is an easy check that they are going through the motions, and probably helps to spot oil leaks early on them.

Every now and again it is good to change the settings on the shocks just to keep away any corrosion, every few months I just run mine through the settings once or twice, Auto, Max Min with the engine running in the garage, it is an easy check that they are going through the motions, and probably helps to spot oil leaks early on them.

Manual says do it every third fuelstop!

Back
Top Bottom