Seriously considering swapping from a 1200GS to a new R1250RS any advise?

Roadrash Rider

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi well love the boxer engine can’t see me moving away from it, started BMW life with an RT 10 years ago, then several GS variants right up to the best one yet the Rallye TE. But my knees are knackered I,m a short arse 30”inside leg and the bikes killing me.

The RS looks an under rated bike to me or at least doesn’t seem to get that much attention, going to test ride one end of next week.

Anyone made the switch from GS to RS and what’s your thoughts?

Pro’s / Con’s?

Thanks
Griff

If it’s only the seat height that’s causing you problems why not try a lower seat? JJH

If it’s only the seat height that’s causing you problems why not try a lower seat? JJH

Not just the seat, tried all of that, the whole getting on and off and the weight of it, even getting it on the stand now causes a lot of pain, the RS might still be too much weight, I don’t know yet, will see how the test ride goes.

I switched from a hexhead GSA to the 1200 RS and have no regrets.

It’s still got the boxer characteristics I love and is a purely road focused bike.

The Sport/ Touring riding position suits me well and I find it more comfortable over a long day than the bum numbing riding position of the GSA.

The only downside imho is the smaller range of the fuel tank, other than that slight inconvenience, I’m a happy bunny.

Oh, the side stand is too long.

The bike hasn’t toppled over yet but unless it’s parked on a decent camber it looks too vertical.

This answer may only be half useful because my experience is going from an oilhead GS to an oilhead RS, but it may help.

I have dodgy hips and the RS seating position is really comfortable for me - better than an adv bike. I never really struggled with the weight/size of a GS but the RS is definitely easier to manhandle and flatfooting it is very easy (5'11").

I recently did 2 x 200 mile rides within 24 hours and hopped off the bike fresh and without any joint discomfort.

I guess you'll only know by trying one.

Hi well love the boxer engine can’t see me moving away from it, started BMW life with an RT 10 years ago, then several GS variants right up to the best one yet the Rallye TE. But my knees are knackered I,m a short arse 30”inside leg and the bikes killing me.

The RS looks an under rated bike to me or at least doesn’t seem to get that much attention, going to test ride one end of next week.

Anyone made the switch from GS to RS and what’s your thoughts?

Pro’s / Con’s?

Thanks
Griff
I had one at the same time as a gsa. Loved the feeling of being more connected with the front on cornering, no problem with knees and hips. However, probably aggravated by an old neck injury, the lean forward riding position defeated me. Perhaps I should ha e tried bar risers. MRA screen did wonders for protection/ noise. Thinking of giving the 1250 a try though. I’m 6’1” on a good day.

The first full days ride caused me aching wrists but I changed the angle of the clutch and front brake levers and have had no problem since.

I've has a R1150GS, Super Tenere 1200 and a Triumph Explorer. I've had a R1200RS since Sept 2016 and it was co-owned with the Triumph. I rarely used the Triumph as the RS is so user friendly from wheeling it out of the garage. The real forks work well in ESA spec. You know how the boxer engine performs. I have changed the ergonomics, fitting lowered pegs and bar risers which makes the bike more comfortable. Tank range is 180-200 miles depending on how you ride. Personally, that is longer than I ride before needing a break so not something I worry about.

I have ridden a 1200GS and a 1250GS when my bike was having a service and never think I bought the wrong boxer.

Let me help you out here

New boots - check

New suit - check ( on its way at any rate _

fucked knees -Check

getting older - Check

Had that bike 2 years now - check

Just go and buy the bloody thing :D:D:D:D

Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated, spent my younger years on Honda NS400R ( arse cheeks and gut wouldn’t stand a chance now) and my last non Boxer was 4 years on a triumph Sprint ST so was quite happy with the sportier position and like most have said there are pro’s and cons to each, booked in for a ride on Saturday on the new RS so will report back.

Oh and Rick piss off back to the toy bike section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, I had an R1200r for a while, I have had a partial knee replacement and the other knee is dodgy, I found the seat to foot peg distance too short so had the sports seat ad a the adjustable HP pegs, This made things way better.
I did half a day on the new 1250RS whilst my S1000xr was being worked on and initially thought I would have the same problem but actually wasn't too bad at all.
Go to your dealer and borrow the demo for a test ride, give it an hour so you settle in, might help make your mind up.

Last year when I had my 2014 GSA in for a recall I noticed a 2016 R1200RS which was 2 years old but new with warranty. Long story short I traded for it. While I put 30K on the GSA I haven't ridden the RS much yet. I bent a wheel late last Summer and didn't get around to sending it off until this Spring. I do like the RS1200 riding position, overall ergonomics, and windshield. Only thing I changed were to wider pegs that are maybe 5/8" lower as well.

Took the 1250RS out for a couple of hours this morning, admittedly not the best of weather for a demo ride.

Comparing the 1250RS to the 1200GS Lc would be like comparing a scalpel to a spoon.

It’s a fab road focused machine and that engine is so smooth and even more grunt. I could flat foot it and it feels much lighter pushing it around. But it’s not for me, I though a return to a sport tourer position would be manageable but even if I kept it for a week the knee position and weight forward are too much for me.

Yep you could drop this raise the other change that but fact is the bloody GS riding position suits this fat old tossed way more than I though.

I must say I bet it’s a weapon in the right hands.

Back
Top Bottom