To indicate or not to, that is true question

My niece 17 is having driving lessons and has be told that it is now not required to indicate when pulling out to overtake stationary vehicles. True or false?
I`ve been trying to get her to do the Danish method(sounds like a new position) where by she uses her left hand to open the door hence automatically looking behind but the instructor has never heard of it. I did read this was to be part of learning process. True or False?

Can somebody please list all the advantages in NOT indicating?

Thanks
Reflex use of the indicators is a often signifier that the driver/rider is not paying attention and trusting that an indication of intent will keep them out of trouble.

I never bother indicating .... keep the feckers guessing :D

I know what I'm doing, and I know what they are doing before they do ...

... a flashing indicator means only one thing in my book ... the bulb is working :rob

:beerjug:

Do you change gear when reducing speed, or do you use the brakes to tell the person behind.

Smooth deceleration just gently slowing down gives no indication as you slow for what you probably know (local knowledge) is a slower bend. But do you need to tell the person behind you with brake indication where you don’t need to use your brakes?

:nenau

I never bother indicating .... keep the feckers guessing :D

I know what I'm doing, and I know what they are doing before they do ...

... a flashing indicator means only one thing in my book ... the bulb is working :rob

Works
Doesn't
Works
Doesn't.

Stops the bulb wearing out too

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Do you change gear when reducing speed, or do you use the brakes to tell the person behind.

Smooth deceleration just gently slowing down gives no indication as you slow for what you probably know (local knowledge) is a slower bend. But do you need to tell the person behind you with brake indication where you don’t need to use your brakes?

:nenau

I don't need to tell the person behind me anything ... if I'm slowing down its for a reason, the person behind should see that same reason. If I'm slowing down its because I've got everything in front of me covered ... the danger now is from behind. I'm watching, I've got that covered too ...

The gap in front of me will have been extended, I can move in to that if the prat behind is reading the newspaper ;)

Reflex use of the indicators is a often signifier that the driver/rider is not paying attention and trusting that an indication of intent will keep them out of trouble.

You didn't read the question. If you did, you didn't answer it.....

(And what you did write is utter tosh.)

To the OPs question i answer , it depends !
As mentioned a few times it depends who or what hazards are around. It depends on the overtake, is it a two stage ? three stage ? momentum ? personally I indicate nearly all the time,it gets you used to feeling the switch so you candy it on auto without trying to look for it, it shows your indicators are working, as you never know when you DO need them they might not be.

When overtaking on a motorway I indicate and when moving from lane 2 to lane three ,I do not indicate to come back in, unless there is a vehicle in lane one.

Well being a super duper of the range rider and I never indicate as a rule, mainly because I am too busy and I usually make sure my overtakes are over before the driver in front has time to react so I never bother.

I might throw one in on a busy roundabout every so often just to make sure they are still working usually just prior to the annual MOT

I just sit in lane 3 or 4 at 70mph with the cruise control engaged.

It’s the legal limit so no one should want to pass anyway.

Negates need to indicate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just indicate

It builds the habit and becomes second nature

I have just completed training and licensing to drive a bus

I can't see everyone on the road but they can usually see me

I indicate every manoeuvre or change of direction !!!!

You can never be sure some fool is approaching at high speed on a bike with the headlamp off intending to slipstream you (Yeah I know I know)

and then pull out at the last second for a dramatic overtake!!

Has happened twice to me on the A2 Coast road from Larne to Ballycastle

They were both fucking idiots but If I hadn't had that glance before moving out after indicating for an overtake the selfish ***** would have hit me and caused mayhem on the roads and maybe a couple of fatalities!! Total Wankers! Sorry Didn;t mean to develop to a rant

"but" Cover your back Indicate Even if only the flowers can see and it becomes natural!!

Oh as a by the by Next time you see an Asda or Tesco delivery van??

Have you ANY idea how far back that you will need to be before the driver sees you in their mirrors?

I drove one for 4 odd years there so I do know the answer its part of the training ! :aidan

Do you ??

Did this just for fun ??

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/512116-A-wee-question-for-you-folks

I just love it, when you indicate and pull away, and several cars still overtake you, then they realise there’s a bollard, and your in the way in your big bus.

Back
Top Bottom