To indicate or not to, that is true question

jj65

Reaction score
I know that we (IAM training) are taught that indication (using indicators) is to inform other road users of our intentions, “if there’s no one there to see them, then dont use them”, but if your overtaking someone, should you use them If no one is behind you?

I think you should, as the you are indicating for the person your overtaking, to inform them of your intention to pass them (in the hope that they observe your signal and dont deviate or speed up as you pass). So to all you ladies and gents who have passed your IAM test, observers, examiners, your advice would be very much appreciated on what’s right and what’s wrong please, as i’ve had conflicting advice.

As an ex ADI I say yes, the reasoning being is that, they may have soon you behind them and are actually using their mirrors correctly, there may be other road users not yest in your vision who may be aware of you and that signal will help and inform them.
As a bike rider of many years............ sod 'em do what you want as they will do too.

If there's no one behind I don't bother.

Same with pulling in after an over take.

In theory, yes.

In reality, probably not. It depends how aware the other driver is.

If they've noticed you then I'd indicate and after safely passing, give a thank you wave.

If they haven't a clue that a big motorbike with it's headlight on is behind them, then unlikely the indicator will add anything.

The above assumes your immediately behind them.

If you have some distance, to be able to pass (long straight) then I'd indicate but only because stupid people do stupid things.

Obviously none of us would overtake when it is unsafe !

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Indicate when there's someone to benefit from that signal regardless of their state of awareness; in town/urban conditions there may well be someone you haven't seen. Indicating by rote leads inexorably to complacency and failure to complete a risk assessment for that manoeuvre.

if there’s no one there to see them, then dont use them

Is this advice from the same people that never break the speed limits while overtaking? :D

No IAM or other stuff here, but... common sense...
Always indicate because:

1) it helps building a good (necessary) habit
2) you might have not seen vehicles in your surroundings
3) it takes 0.005 of a second to indicate, I really don't see the problem/fatigue in doing so

So...I always indicate even on an empty road.

Seen too many bikers knocked off "sorry mate I didn't see you".

Drivers (1) changing lane on a roundabout as you're taking the inside line, or (2) pulling across the road (right turn) without indicating and wiping a biker out they haven't seen...

Better to be safe...

“if there’s no one there to see them, then dont use them”

This really frustrates me.

I'm a regular runner, often in the dark, and one of my routes takes me along a small A road / big B road that's unlit (near Camberley).

On a number of occasions, I have been running along the pavement, facing the traffic, approaching a small side road. A car coming towards me at speed has not been signalling, The car then suddenly decelerates and pulls into the side road across my path, just after I've stepped off the kerb.

I have had a couple of quite close misses. And yes, I do wear bright / reflective clothing and yes I am very aware, which is why I haven't been hit yet.

The point is, I would think that all of those drivers would say that they had not signalled because they didn't think anyone would see it. But they were wrong.

I do think things like IAM are good and valuable, but they also have the potential to persuade people that as uber-road users they can make their own clever decisions, based on what they see as a situation rather than what a book of rules, or even common sense, would dictate.

Why not signal every time? :nenau You may not even see the person it's benefiting, and after all, it's not that hard, is it?

Just indicate

It builds the habit and becomes second nature

I have just completed training and licensing to drive a bus

I can't see everyone on the road but they can usually see me

I indicate every manoeuvre or change of direction !!!!

You can never be sure some fool is approaching at high speed on a bike with the headlamp off intending to slipstream you (Yeah I know I know)

and then pull out at the last second for a dramatic overtake!!

Has happened twice to me on the A2 Coast road from Larne to Ballycastle

They were both fucking idiots but If I hadn't had that glance before moving out after indicating for an overtake the selfish ***** would have hit me and caused mayhem on the roads and maybe a couple of fatalities!! Total Wankers! Sorry Didn;t mean to develop to a rant

"but" Cover your back Indicate Even if only the flowers can see and it becomes natural!!

Oh as a by the by Next time you see an Asda or Tesco delivery van??

Have you ANY idea how far back that you will need to be before the driver sees you in their mirrors?

I drove one for 4 odd years there so I do know the answer its part of the training ! :aidan

Do you ??

Did this just for fun ??

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/512116-A-wee-question-for-you-folks

The number of times I see indicators on because the rider has forgotten to turn them off is staggering.

I have just completed training and licensing to drive a bus

I can't see everyone on the road but they can usually see me

I indicate every manoeuvre or change of direction !!!!

Your obviously not a proper bus driver, as they never indicate except when pulling out from a bus stop on a busy road when they flick it on as they move out regardless of what the traffic is doing :D

they never indicate

They do gesticulate when you beep at them for running red lights (at least in London as it is a common occurrence) :D

Irish traffic law says that you MUST indicate whether there is anyone there or not. I don’t have the exact wording to hand. JJH

Seen too many bikers knocked off "sorry mate I didn't see you".
I've been motorcycling for a few years and I've never seen a single SMIDSY personally.
Drivers (1) changing lane on a roundabout as you're taking the inside line,
How would indicating help in this situation?
or (2) pulling across the road (right turn) without indicating and wiping a biker out they haven't seen...
Likewise, how would you signalling help here?
Better to be safe...
Really?:rolleyes:

As an advanced instructor I teach as follows,
1. If I can see a clear overtake I will have gear ready, signal and shoulder check to move out then nail it.
2. If I am just going out for a look I won’t signal. Having gone out, if the overtake presents itself I will just go. In this scenario I don’t signal as I may well be coming back in if the overtake is not on.

Your obviously not a proper bus driver, as they never indicate except when pulling out from a bus stop on a busy road when they flick it on as they move out regardless of what the traffic is doing :D

I flick my middle finger at you Sir :aidan

Is that better now? :D

Irish traffic law says that you MUST indicate whether there is anyone there or not. I don’t have the exact wording to hand. JJH

And some folks say we are thick JJ

Its no biggie and as long as you Indicate in good time and a quick advisory to those behind that you are moving back into your lane after an overtake

The only one that is "tasked" by this voluntary movement is the rider?

Should you penalised for indicating excessively on an IAM ride

No! They can fuck right off ! Just as "They" will not have the same perception of the road from "their" position as you do from "yours"

"Appropriate Use!" is what I "try " to do!

However leaving the fucking thing on all the times also needs a boot in the hole!

Back
Top Bottom