Jaunt to the South coast.

Posh Pete

Still got a pulse.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Earlier this year, I read about the http://www.mobi.bmct.org on these hallowed pages. Membership gives free entry to a bunch of transport related museums so a plan began to form. Pal Andy didn't fancy a Euro trip this year and his time was limited by various factors, so we'd head for the South coast of England and do Beaulieu, the Sammy Miller museum and the Tank Museum with maybe a visit to nearby Clouds Hill chucked in. Things didn't quite go to plan ...

Not wanting to do the southward leg in a oner, we decided to take the A7 south, then head for Alston and Hartside and maybe make a stop in the lakes. The weather was fine and the A7 as glorious a bike road as ever. I defy anyone to find a better bit of biking road than the A7 between Hawick and Langholm!
d549e7814160c26c4acede1557a3c13f.jpg

We stopped at Pelosi’s in Langholm for coffee and bumped into the town cornet whose house was next door. It was common riding week. More of that later!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A local chap and his dug were enjoying the sunshine and we chatted, as you do. One of the topics being the moon landing anniversary. He reminded us that Neil Armstrong had visited the toon to be awarded the singular honour of freeman of the Burgh. Very singular for Armstrong. His reticence and modesty are the stuff of legend. Anyway, yer man was there on the day, along with high heid yins from across the wide borders and managed to sink 19 gin and tonics and all on the rate payer! They’ve put up a memorial to the visit in the toon but no mention of the g&t record!
76f1315f9acc48757dd77cf81a126391.jpg

Enjoy the sunshine !

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

It's been foggy here in Broadchurch for the past 16 hours. I can't see as far as the harbour 200 yards away. When it's clear we can sometimes see as far as Brixham, 60 miles away

It's been foggy here in Broadchurch for the past 16 hours. I can't see as far as the harbour 200 yards away. When it's clear we can sometimes see as far as Brixham, 60 miles away
Wall to wall sunshine and low 20°c thought I was dreaming, but no really is like this.

How long before you arrive in the new forest

Been there, done that. Got back on Saturday.

After Langholm, we headed for Alston through the Northumbria national park, an area of outstanding natural beauty. With a giant open cast coal mine slap bang by the side of the road. However, they are also developing a visitor centre at the Roman camp at Epiacum. Should be interesting when finished. Www.epiacumheritage.org. At Alston, we hung a right and headed up the hill to Hartside. Irony alert: now that the cafe is burnt out, they’ve resurfaced the road!
584d36bb5b9d4bb6fa8403832ccf356d.jpg

Wall to wall sunshine and low 20°c thought I was dreaming, but no really is like this.

Fog finally burnt off this morning at about 6am and the view across the bay is back again. 25c expected today but probably thunderstorms for Poole bike night this evening.

I defy anyone to find a better bit of biking road than the A7 between Hawick and Langholm!

Well, consider me a jaded ex-resident of the Muckle Toon but as much as that bit of the A7 is fun and usually encourages me into some serious high speeds cruising, it is just that 'cruising'.

Much more challenging, tight, twisty, bumpy high and low speed fun is to be had on both the B7068 Langholm to Lockerbie (for added interest, hang a right over the bridge at Paddock Hole and head for Moffat on minor roads...) and the B709 Langholm to Eskdalemuir and onwards to the A7 via Innerleithen.

Well, consider me a jaded ex-resident of the Muckle Toon but as much as that bit of the A7 is fun and usually encourages me into some serious high speeds cruising, it is just that 'cruising'.

Much more challenging, tight, twisty, bumpy high and low speed fun is to be had on both the B7068 Langholm to Lockerbie (for added interest, hang a right over the bridge at Paddock Hole and head for Moffat on minor roads...) and the B709 Langholm to Eskdalemuir and onwards to the A7 via Innerleithen.

Horses for courses Mike. I know those roads and don't disagree about their quality. I suppose it's the contrast between the northern section of the A7 which is demanding but generally overpopulated and the open views and roller coaster nature of the southern part. On return journeys, it's the northern section i enjoy more, despite being more tired at the end of a long trip.

So, after Hartside, decision time. Plan A: continue to the lakes and do the Lakeland passes next day? Plan B: make further progress southward. Plan B won out. Here’s some clues as to where we ended up that night ...
2491657fc1f0460e27a2da1ea9c1ee16.jpg

96645466484f37d70bef7bec2630960e.jpg

Give up?

More pics plus a group of classic Indians and Harley’s also at the camp site ...
b0e1e143083530ca63bba65931757e43.jpg

c54362674d06813e78d5b1869d2155ad.jpg

139ba6f7c473b8c3505be2a2401863b3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom