Do exhaust butterfly valves still jam on later model 1200\1250's ? or is it solved?.

Just my tuppence worth for the OP, yes they still do. My '13 and my '18 both seized within 6 months/6k miles from new. Can't say I noticed. New headers under warranty at the 6k service each time.

Well I can only go buy what many seem to think it is cat or no cat, it happens to many bikes, so I was thinking, and do this at your own risk, if it is carbon build up, maybe a good spray around the top and bottom of the axe, as if carbon is in there, it has to get in somehow, so why not try something like Ovenpride, or ovenbrite in the spray can, and let it sit for a while, maybe this will help to free up the flapper after a while, it certainly works in oven and on BBQ grills......:rob

hmm - this is an interesting thought...

we could do with someone who has replaced their headers to try it on a set that they have replaced which are seized.. could work?

Well, mine’s in tomorrow. And I’ll say it again, I cannot believe the whole manifold replaced for this flap. Funny really, I’d rather keep everything intact. She’s been down to Morocco, explored Spain and France and quite frankly looked after us. An amazing bike!

I will be asking the obvious questions in the dealership.

hmm - this is an interesting thought...

we could do with someone who has replaced their headers to try it on a set that they have replaced which are seized.. could work?

Yes would be interesting, if it works, just rebadge the spray can touratech...........and sell 10 times more

Consensus of opinion seems to be that they do still seize, which is a shame BM haven't stopped it happening. Bet there's also a lot of bikes out there where the flap has seized and the owners don't even know. Bike runs ok since it usually seizes open; only sign is that you don't hear it cycling when ignition is switched on\off. Dealers will pick it up on diags during a service and if it's under warranty I presume money for them from BMW for the labour.
Just don't understand why BM can't come up with a permanent fix for the design??. Or at least revert to having the flap in a separate piece of pipe like I think older models were. Then they don't need to replace the complete pipes\cat, just the flap.
Anyway, BMW's problem for 3 years not mine :) .

Ok, so new manifold on. No squeak. Talking to after sales it was suggested this will ‘probably’ happen again. As mentioned here earlier in the thread BMW purchase third party manifolds for production and any more they need for warranty claims are FOC to them. So no cost to BMW. The dealership will be reimbursed for fitting but as it is not a labour intensive job - not a big cost.

Outside of the warranty period and if no BMW goodwill forthcoming it was suggested to disconnect the pulley and leave the flap in the open position. Not really what you want to hear given the marketing, effort and my money that has gone into the brand.

So that just leaves me to comment on a couple of things. What an utter waste of energy, earth’s resources and time for BMW to not do something about this for all these years - even if it is from a sustainability view point. Secondly, whilst I love my bike, and I really do, I can accept things don’t always go to plan, but for me it is about trust with that brand and the dealership with whom I have personal contact. Loyalty is hard earned but is so easily lost and given the emotive nature of bikes and biking, simple stuff like this should be nipped in the bud.

So for now I’m going to continue to enjoy my fabulous machine and focus on its good things rather than its shortcomings.

Attachments

• 1B697EB0-9AC0-44B9-87CB-35E9FCA83A02.jpg
    1B697EB0-9AC0-44B9-87CB-35E9FCA83A02.jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 468
So for now I’m going to continue to enjoy my fabulous machine and focus on its good things rather than its shortcomings.

A couple of years ago, when I did a diagnostic reading on my -15 GSA, I noticed that there was a fault code on the valve, and it had been stuck for almost 6 months (code was timestamped).
Frankly, I never noticed that where a problem, and after the valve was fixed and once again working, I could not tell the difference.

So.. I think you will do just fine :beerjug:

A couple of years ago, when I did a diagnostic reading on my -15 GSA, I noticed that there was a fault code on the valve, and it had been stuck for almost 6 months (code was timestamped).
Frankly, I never noticed that where a problem, and after the valve was fixed and once again working, I could not tell the difference.

So.. I think you will do just fine :beerjug:

The flap is all about suppressing noise nothing else. The best thing to do is junk them. But thats not possible with the 1250 without changing the headers.:blast

My 1200 rallye has just had the latest TFT update to stop the SOS fault warning coming up on to regular a basis.
Then when I got home I noticed the flappy exhaust valve no longer does its span check on power up, it's been back to the dealer and I've been told it's working fine and that the start up cycle has probably been removed in the latest update of software.
I've had the black plastic cover off and it is working as expected.

Had my TFT updated on my 1250 a few months back but it didn't stop the random SOS MSG's. Took it back last week and there was a software update to the SOS unit that seems to have fixed it.
On the flap valve , mine still does the power cycle on ignition on\off, so don't know if TFT update has anything to do with it ?? .

I have no idea, my valve is Defo doing its thing as expected, just no cycle on power up.
I'm running version 001-018-040, just don't see how a tft update can interfere with the bike, the mind boggles.
Absolutely loving the bike though :beerjug:

Latest TFT software is 001-019-180 , as far as I'm aware. Don't think TFT version will affect exhaust valve operation though.

Ok I'm an idiot, I was looking at a photo I took pre-update, mine is 001-019-180
But the valve still doesn't cycle :rob

Back
Top Bottom