F850GSA. Any owners on here?

JJH

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone actually bought one yet? How are you getting on with it? Thinking of buying one. JJH

Yep, just done the deal on an ex dem and collect on Friday. Just took it out as the deal was good and I was interested in how it rode. What I didn't expect was the brilliance of the thing. I have ridden both the F750GS and regular F850GS and the GSA is more roomy and comfy for my 6'2. What surprised me is the screen that really works; much better than the set up on the R1200GSA (that I had previously). The bouncy suspension seems to be better controlled on the GSA and the cockpit is better put together and gives excellent protection. It looks much better in the flesh (agreed the pix of the bike are not flattering) and mine is the standard Ice grey with Black Wheels that is understated and much better than the overly blingy Gold wheels that I just can't get on with. The overall ride is very much on a par with my old R1200GSA 2016 Euro4 vintage and you really can't feel the 244Kgs. I would recommend a test ride at least.

Yep, just done the deal on an ex dem and collect on Friday. Just took it out as the deal was good and I was interested in how it rode. What I didn't expect was the brilliance of the thing. I have ridden both the F750GS and regular F850GS and the GSA is more roomy and comfy for my 6'2. What surprised me is the screen that really works; much better than the set up on the R1200GSA (that I had previously). The bouncy suspension seems to be better controlled on the GSA and the cockpit is better put together and gives excellent protection. It looks much better in the flesh (agreed the pix of the bike are not flattering) and mine is the standard Ice grey with Black Wheels that is understated and much better than the overly blingy Gold wheels that I just can't get on with. The overall ride is very much on a par with my old R1200GSA 2016 Euro4 vintage and you really can't feel the 244Kgs. I would recommend a test ride at least.

This colour ?

362acc48dd44134905831ced27a47dd0.jpg
93f745c7f67d5ea73852c4669fc0064e.jpg
5fad060650b1f2e0826627f944e42126.jpg

That tank looks very top heavy ? Is it noticeable with a full tank ?

Yup, that colour; much better with Black forks and wheels imo. Mine has no nav prep which is a good thing as I can't stand the location of the Nav on the bars and the screen mechanism probably excludes a Horning type attachment. Will have to rely on the TFT for Navigation ;)

I have one exactly the same as that in the pictures. I traded a 18 plate 1200GSA for it ( lost considerable amount of money) as it was just a bit too big and heavy. I now have 3000 + miles on the 850 and my thoughts are that .

It has everything that the 1200GS has toy and accessory wise except Hill start and shaft drive.

Its incredibly frugal 68 av mpg at the moment but I don't thrash it.

I don't miss the extra power of the 1200 as its pretty quick, although I'm thinking the 1200 would be better if you were 2 up most of the time.

Handling is excellent and its very agile, very happy after recent trip to Scotland, great fun on the bends and you get use to the fork dive from the soft suspension and then don't really even notice.

Brakes not as sharp as the 1200 but are fine, just need more pressure.

It's ( for me at very fat and 6ft 2 ) comfortable and it appears to be more roomy than the 1200 and I had the same BMW lowered foot rests on both.

I should have bought the lowered chassis version as my previous 1200GSA. I didn't as I wanted a centre stand and its not fitted to the lowered Chassis. I'm fine once aboard but requires flying ninja leap to get on. I know I could get a lowered seat but my knees need max room. Some can simply stand on the peg and hop on , I can't , tried but can't . With the same panniers as the GS 1200 carrying capacity is identical but getting leg over panniers is comedic !

Screen a bit low , I cured it with an Xscreen add on . Its directing the air over my helmet now, sorted.

Ah yes can only connect my Interphone to the bike or the sat nav , connecting everything causes all sorts of headaches.

I've had no issues in 3000 miles, very impressed. Just make sure the height is ok before you buy.

Hope this helps

I am really liking the 850GSA. It's very comfy with more leg room than my old R1200GSA (go figure...) and incredible tank range (340 miles from 23 Litres). I fitted my MRA screen as the only one that went on and that works well; but the standard screen is good as well. The GSA adjustable screen mount works very well. The fuelling is spot on with no flat spots (my last 1200 had one that even HillTop couldn't iron out) and the GAP, the best I have used, buttery smooth changes. Even the brakes seem ok (not great on my 750). A pleasant surprise is the TFT that works well and connects to both my Samsung GS7 and Scala Cardo QZ faultlessly. I have ditched the Nav 5 and moved to Smart Phone mapping.

The GSA Sport even gets Adv Footpegs, LED Spots and adjustable gear lever etc, so pretty well loaded for much less money than the 1250 GSA.

I really want one. Unfortunately the dealers don’t want my bike. Well they want it for nothing. JJH

tubed or tubeless tyres on a 850GSA sport.

Just wondering.

Ta

Paddy

Thinking of the 850 GSA at the moment but the height concerns me and the low seat is less comfortable.

I had a lowered GSA before - would a lowered 850 GSA be a similar height - preferably with the standard seat ?

Try it I think the standard seat is lower on the 850 than the 800. I managed the seat on the 800 although I’m not quite 6 foot and certainly arnt a riding god. JJH

Finding a dealer who has one here seems to be the problem

The standard 850 is a tippy toes job for me - sadly

Hi all, first post, just bought myself a F850GSA and all the above are right.
It's a big beasty, having come from a Tiger Sport 1050. I got the Rallye so have the blingy gold wheels and daft flat seat which I'm on my toes for when riding alone and struggling to reach the floor with 'er indoors onboard and the suspension jacked up! Interesting moment at a roundabout when bringing it home!

I've become a happy owner of the 850GSA as well.

I got the HP version:
49889665711_09c1bb8b01_b.jpg

With the Rally seat (in the picture) I find the bike a bit tall to my liking, so I have replaced the Rally seat with a standard seat. This makes the difference to my 180cm.

The wind screen will be replaced as well with a taller one, and I will rise the handlebars for better ergonomics when riding standing on the pegs.

There has been said a lot about top heavy and balance, so before getting the bike I took a testride.

Compared to the 1250GSA I found it actually slightly easier to handle at slow speeds, and it turns easier.

Having a longstroke engine it is not as spirited as you will find on bikes with shorter stroke (read KTM), but this gives the engine a better pull at low revs, and for all practical purpose I find the power sufficient. The 1250 has more power top and bottom for sure, but when I ride the 1250 I very seldom feels the need for full power anyway.
The quick shifter works better than on the 1250. For some reason, when I change ride mode from Road to Dynamic, the bike becomes a bit taller at the rear.

All in all, not a perfect bike, but I got what I wanted.

Back
Top Bottom