Front wheel bearings R80 G/S

Tbolt

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Help please in ordering the correct front wheel bearings for R80 G/S manufactured March 1981.

Are these tapered roller?

Help please in ordering the correct front wheel bearings for R80 G/S manufactured March 1981.

Are these tapered roller?
They are tapered roller. There is an inner spacer sleeve and then a smaller sleeve, often referred to as a ‘wedding band’. This smaller sleeve comes in differing lengths. To select the right ‘band’ to give the correct play or lack of it is in my experience trial and error. Unless someone knows how to measure the size needed?

They are tapered roller. There is an inner spacer sleeve and then a smaller sleeve, often referred to as a ‘wedding band’. This smaller sleeve comes in differing lengths. To select the right ‘band’ to give the correct play or lack of it is in my experience trial and error. Unless someone knows how to measure the size needed?

Thanks Paul
Gerry

You don't always need new bearings, it is sometimes possible to fit a shorter wedding band, in the same way as you adjust to preload an any other taper roller.
Some claim to have shortened their existing band by careful honing on an oil stone or similar but I have never tried.
Hub should be heated to remove bearings.
One simple of way of checking the preload on the bearings , with the wheel clear of the pavement, is slacken both axle clamps and then carefully torque up the nut on the end of the axle.
You should just start to feel the tension on the bearing at 20 ft/lbs if you attempt to move the rim.
Then you tighten the axle clamps, nut side first, pump the forks then tighten the other side before finally checking the tension on the axle nut.
There is a factory tool and other methods a thou or two difference in preload wont make a huge difference to anything.

Back
Top Bottom