Fuel miles remaining is consistently wrong

GWJ

Reaction score
This is an old man rant, not to be taken too seriously. It's a first-world probem...

Until two days ago I thought the countdown of miles remaining before the fuel 'reserve' was exhausted to be the best thing since sliced bread.

However I'm now convinced there's 2.5 litres of fuel and say 25 miles range left when the bike shows zero miles range.

I say this because BMW claim my (19 RT) tank has a usable capacity of 25l but I can only fit in 22.5l when the computer is indicating next to zero miles range.

I've experienced this twice, and also (whilst not statistically robust) kind of 'proved' my maths by dividing the bike's range by its average consumption after a lengthy but steady run.

Why don't BMW tell the truth about the remaining range or are they trying to protect me from over zealously running down the tank...?

This irritates me because I'm stopping to refuel before necessary and two days ago I found myself hunting around for a petrol station whilst the check-in time for my ferry was running out. Stressful doesn't cover it.

Yes, I know I shouldn't run the fuel so low, I should buy a GS Adventure etc etc but that's missing the point which is why BMW is misleading me (and you?) about how much fuel range is left. That or the tank simply can't take 25l and the handbook etc should be corrected.

My dealer had a lame argument which I won't edify by airing it here, so my next port of call is BMW GB for an explanation.

Unless you know otherwise.

I started my ride at 5 am as it was so no I'm not leaving earlier. I'd have stopped sooner at a petrol station if I could find one but my Nav V had gone bananas after a dodgy map update from Garmin. Don't start me on Garmin. And having spent 20 grand on the bike I can't afford French motorway petrol prices. Or a better satnav.

I started my ride at 5 am as it was so no I'm not leaving earlier. I'd have stopped sooner if my Nav V hadn't hadnt gone bananas after a dodgy map update from Garmin. And having spent 20 grand on the bike I can't afford French motorway petrol prices

Full on rant is this...........:D

And I can't sleep because it's still 90 F at half ten at night, AND there's a police helicopter doing acrobatics over our house. I kid you not. All for the sake of 2.5l.

And I can't sleep because it's still 90 F at half ten at night, AND there's a police helicopter doing acrobatics over our house. I kid you not. All for the sake of 2.5l.

Why is the helicopter looking for petrol also............:D

Very poor rant. No bad language no words in capitals no exclamation marks and weak subject. Simple way to find out exactly how far you can go before running out. Fill up tank. Fill 5liter can. Reset mileage. Ride till empty. Take note of mileage. Use the 5liters of petrol to get you to petrol ⛽️. Now you know. Let us know how it pans out. Hint. The tank definitely holds 25 liters and will do 280+ Miles. JJH ps if you forget the spare can you can have a proper rant.

Prett simple, get a petrol can (with say 5l of go juice in it) and run it till dry,use the can to go to petrol station and fill up.

Easy to work out full capacity then you can figure how many miles you’ve got when range hits zero.
It’s just a bit of a (albeit annoying) safety factor

Can you imagine the vitriol I’d it ran dry whilst showing some range left?....

Beggar JJH beat me to it

This is an old man rant, not to be taken too seriously. It's a first-world probem...

Until two days ago I thought the countdown of miles remaining before the fuel 'reserve' was exhausted to be the best thing since sliced bread.

However I'm now convinced there's 2.5 litres of fuel and say 25 miles range left when the bike shows zero miles range.

I say this because BMW claim my (19 RT) tank has a usable capacity of 25l but I can only fit in 22.5l when the computer is indicating next to zero miles range.

I've experienced this twice, and also (whilst not statistically robust) kind of 'proved' my maths by dividing the bike's range by its average consumption after a lengthy but steady run.

Why don't BMW tell the truth about the remaining range or are they trying to protect me from over zealously running down the tank...?

This irritates me because I'm stopping to refuel before necessary and two days ago I found myself hunting around for a petrol station whilst the check-in time for my ferry was running out. Stressful doesn't cover it.

Yes, I know I shouldn't run the fuel so low, I should buy a GS Adventure etc etc but that's missing the point which is why BMW is misleading me (and you?) about how much fuel range is left. That or the tank simply can't take 25l and the handbook etc should be corrected.

My dealer had a lame argument which I won't edify by airing it here, so my next port of call is BMW GB for an explanation.

Unless you know otherwise.
I take the point that you made yourself about it being a first world problem, but I'm struggling to see what worries you.
You can do two things. Fill up when the gauge suggests, & hopefully never have a problem, or ignore it, & work on what you believe to be the "extra miles' left in the tank.........& hope not to be proved wrong.

COuld be worse, it could be telling you have mileage left in the tank when you are empty, that would be cause for a proper rant!:blast

I take the point that you made yourself about it being a first world problem, but I'm struggling to see what worries you.
You can do two things. Fill up when the gauge suggests, & hopefully never have a problem, or ignore it, & work on what you believe to be the "extra miles' left in the tank.........& hope not to be proved wrong.

What bothers me is not knowing if I have another 25 miles range than the bike indicates. I'll try running it dry as suggested and see how much it'll take to refil. I assume there are no issues in doing this as there would be with a diesel?

Perhaps the pump is in the bottom of the tank and requires a certain amount of fuel slopping around to keep it cool. If you use the extra 2½ litres anf bimble along you'll get another 30 miles unless the fuel pump chucks it at which point filling up with 25 miles range in hand will be the least of your problems. HTH :)

Perhaps the pump is in the bottom of the tank and requires a certain amount of fuel slopping around to keep it cool. If you use the extra 2½ litres anf bimble along you'll get another 30 miles unless the fuel pump chucks it at which point filling up with 25 miles range in hand will be the least of your problems. HTH :)

That's logical although my beef would be BMW say it's "usable" volume is 25 l

My RT would do 25 miles after the range had gone down to zero and showed 3 dashes on the screen.
Same with the gs-- although I've only pushed it to 15 miles beyond zero.

I never trust the remaining range readout on my GSA as it seems ludicrously optimistic - after doing 300 miles I've had it saying there is still another 150-160 miles worth of petrol left. I think the fuel strip technology was a failure and was not properly developed before BMW as usual expected its customers to be the test mules.

Back
Top Bottom