Gs1250 service

Doc

Let's Av It
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi,Bike is due for its 6000 mile service tomorrow and dealer is saying the brake fluid wants changing for which I will be charged.Dont mind paying if its right but I thought it was a bit soon ?
Cheers

Think it's been part of the 6k/1st yr service since the LC's were released - thereafter 12k/2yrs

Ok,Thanks pal

Oil every year or 10,000 kms and Brake fluids every 2 years, if you keep riding them distances, however I like to do all fluids every year in March as it does not cost a fortune, and nice not to get a floppy rear brake........;)

I read somewhere that the frequent changes is to prevent corrosion in the abs system not because the fluid technically is past it. Just that it’s May have absorbed enough moisture to cause an issue by then.

Just remembered it was Shaun Smoak. He is a you tuber and bmw tech in usa in case anyone wondered.

why would you want to keep your brake fluid for 10 years though?

it would feel awful - its not like a car where you are relatively insulated from the spongy-ness. the lever would feel awful.

I change my brake fluid fairly regularly on both bikes and it always makes the lever feel great again - nice and firm.

I know, I know this effect is due to the brakes being bled and not just due to fresh fluid - but with a vacuum bleeder its as easy to drag new fluid through the systems. I do both bikes in about half an hour with less than one bottle of £5 brake fluid - and I always think "I should do that more often" cos it makes the brakes feel great.

I bought my 2011 1200gs from a main dealer in 2016. They gave me a fantastic deal, including all 3 oils changed and brake and clutch fluid and 2 new tyres, oh and a new top box because they couldn't find the one it was advertised with.
The only brake work it's had since then is new rear pads. It had 16000 miles on it when I got it, it's now showing just short of 41000, and it would have been more if I hadn't had an affair with a Triumph Scrambler last summer, it's taken me all over Europe in all weathers and the brakes are as sharp now as when I rode it home the first day I owned it. In fact the brakes are sharper than the Rallye I got just over a month ago.

Having said that, there must be a reason BMW service schedule states new fluid at 2nd service.

All good with the service although they said watch the front tyre wear.Never had a front tyre wear down before the rear and dont think i am doing anything different to all my other bikes i have owned over the years.Anyone else had this ?

All good with the service although they said watch the front tyre wear.Never had a front tyre wear down before the rear and dont think i am doing anything different to all my other bikes i have owned over the years.Anyone else had this ?

Do you have A41's? My A41's wear quicker on the front:blast

Doc, what price is the 6000 service please with the break fluid ?

Back
Top Bottom