Talk me out of a 1200 RT

Nin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Fellas

I’m being irresistible drawn to an RT, and can’t work out why.

It’s been GS all down the line for me, apart from a short dalliance with a K1600GT (super comfy but v short service intervals and a bit scared of it going bang). Now onto KTM adventure which is lovely but I just cannot get a quiet screen.

So flirting with the RT now. I mostly do a v long commute of mixed Motorway and A roads, and 10 days a year blasting around Asturias & Galicia.

6’3” means I need a big bike.

Why shouldn’t it be an RT?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I've had a RT, a K1300 and a K1600. Now on my second GSA but I have fond memories of the RT and wouldn't rule out another in the future. Excellent bikes and for a long commute as you've described I think it has to be a very serious contender, especially as the weather protection is undoubtedly better than on a GS or GSA. Another thing, the RT is easier to keep clean.

I wouldn't dream of talking you out of it

Back to back 1250 and 1200 happening tomorrow ...

Well, I love my 1250. The pull from the engine is more than enough for any road situation I have found myself in, the handling is agile and stable, the front end feels planted, the brakes are excellent (see below), the seat is comfortable (after a little bedding in) and the fuel consumption is mid-to-high fifties (but, to be fair, I hardly ever check it). Weather protection is as brilliant as RT weather protection has always been.

For the first few hundred miles, I believed the brakes were a bit on-off - i.e. plenty of power, but not very progressive. After a period of time, I realised what it was I had been feeling: my predecessor bike was a Harley Street Glide with excellent Brembo brakes - and fork dive when applied. So, the difference in feel was due to the no-dive telelever and the Harley's conventional forks.

As a final comment, I had cause to battle-test the brakes just the other evening: on one of the fairly narrow country lanes round here, I was entering a downhill left hander, moderately leant over. Suddenly, at a furious rate of knots, a huge 4x4 with trailer appeared in the middle of the road coming in the opposite direction. I freely admit to panic-grabbing the brake. ABS kicked in, the RT tracked without fuss onto the tighter line and death was avoided.

RT

Great bikes...go buy it.

Done 21,000 flawless miles on mine and it’s equally good in twisty back lanes

Rode from So'ton to Embra in a oner last week. Couple.of stops for coffee etc. Petrol consumption 57.9 at steady 70mph on motorway. Still fresh enough to enjoy a few overtakes and corners on the A7 North of Galashie!s. Bit tired at the end but many a bike would have left me crippled.

Enjoy, I had a 2014 and did 18k on it in two years. Made the mistake of testing a 1250 and now have a 1250 which I have covered 2k. Great long distance bike and still fun on the shorter sprints. I don't go off road at all (intentionally) probably like a lot of GS owners as well :)

They feel much heavier than the GS for little benefit - and the seat to peg distance is less than the GS.

I find mine a little cramped. Thinking of a F850GSA. Dealer wants my bike for a song. JJH

They feel much heavier than the GS for little benefit - and the seat to peg distance is less than the GS.
It's funny how we experience things so differently. I've owned a GS, ridden other GS's and GSA's and I never felt that either of my RT's felt heavier. It just goes to show we all have to try these things for ourselves - tyres are another classic example :D

I find mine a little cramped. Thinking of a F850GSA. Dealer wants my bike for a song. JJH
It's eyewateringly bad the offers you get sometimes. :( Waiting until the end of a sales target quarter seems to yield benefits, depending on the dealer.

Little benefit :)

For me there was little benefit - the luggage capacity was no more than my LC with Trekker 58l top box. I always ride with full protective gear so the extra plastic of the RT makes no difference to me being cold - the GS is pretty good. I replaced the screen of my LC for a taller one, which sorted out the noise.

I covered 50k miles on my RT and was generally happy.

What are the big benefits of an RT over the GS?

You will find it cramped and uncomfortable - you’ve met me / I can’t even fit on one....

Rode from So'ton to Embra in a oner last week. Couple.of stops for coffee etc. Petrol consumption 57.9 at steady 70mph on motorway. Still fresh enough to enjoy a few overtakes and corners on the A7 North of Galashie!s. Bit tired at the end but many a bike would have left me crippled.

If I’d have known you were down here - I’d have bought you a pint...

You will find it cramped and uncomfortable - you’ve met me / I can’t even fit on one....

Hi Twizzle, hope all is well? You have nailed it I suspect. But let’s see tomoz.

All well thanks!!

Hope you get on ok!! But.... well we shall see - I did test ride a 1600 GT a few years back and that was super comfy...
Hi Twizzle, hope all is well? You have nailed it I suspect. But let’s see tomoz.

Yeah the 1600 was lovely but 6k service intervals and £900 for a valve clearance check, and cleaning out the radiator every service kinda put me off.

Back
Top Bottom