Talk me out of a 1200 RT

I had a loan 1200RT from Bahnstormer while my GSA was being serviced. Nutty and I rode to Henley together, he did not say much at the time, but I’m sure he though that I am to young for one. Now, as far as comfort goes, it is comfy but darn cramped for long legged fella like me. You know what I look like, we have met. I would seriously take a long test ride on one before committing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Knee cramp is a problem although it can be addressed with a footpeg lowering kit (most of us are unlikely to have a lean angle issue) and a seat rebuild.

I'm my opinion the RT handles better than the GS which I put down to it having a 17" front wheel compared with the 19" of the Adventure bikes

I am going back to a GS, the RT is a superb motorcycle but I can't get comfortable on it. I find my legs are a little cramped and I seem to be leaning forward, I am 6'2" tall, I would suggest a long test ride to see what you think? I took a 1250 GS out for a test ride and the riding position was far better for me, I will be fitting a Puig Touring screen for better wind protection, just waiting for my GS to arrive!!

I also have an RT and long legs, it is more cramped than the GSA even with lowered pegs, bar risers and a sargent seat (in the high position). It is however still comfy for the long trip I do fairly regularly.

For me there was little benefit - the luggage capacity was no more than my LC with Trekker 58l top box. I always ride with full protective gear so the extra plastic of the RT makes no difference to me being cold - the GS is pretty good. I replaced the screen of my LC for a taller one, which sorted out the noise.

I covered 50k miles on my RT and was generally happy.

What are the big benefits of an RT over the GS?

Many, but this is a waste of time, if you like the GS then its better, if you like the RT like me and I have done many 1000s of miles on one with my wife, then I much prefer it over the GS. I find the GS uncomfortable. I like the weather protection and ride all year around and many nights. I use mine for blood biking. I am 5ft 8, so the RT fits me fine, hence earlier me saying if your tall, test one.

Well that was interesting ...

Just back in from my test ride of the 1250 RT - I didn't bother with the 1200.

I really like that 1250 engine, its got a great punch and pretty smooth with it.
I really liked the way the RT handles - very confidence inspiring, loads of good feedback, dead easy to ride fast or slow.
The gear shift assist was poor I have to say, when compared to my KTM one, I really wouldn't bother speccing one if I was buying.
The usual Auto ESA foibles but I think with a bit of help from Denz0 that's all fixable now (but they really should do much better on an £18k bike).

But I'm not buying. The bike is tiny! I couldn't get my knees in the tank compressions (just wearing my BMW jeans, not even my full Aerostich)
After 10 minutes my knees were killing me, I had more room on my old VFR750. It's a real shame because the bike ticks all the other boxes.

I'll just have to get the screen setup right on my KTM I guess. Or go back to the K1600.

Anyway, thanks fellas for your insight, it's a superb bike for a 6 footer or less, but not for me I'm afraid.

Interestingly one fo the fellas at NOG is about 6'5", he rides a K1600, has been through the same thought process as me ...

Just back in from my test ride of the 1250 RT - I didn't bother with the 1200.

I really like that 1250 engine, its got a great punch and pretty smooth with it.
I really liked the way the RT handles - very confidence inspiring, loads of good feedback, dead easy to ride fast or slow.
The gear shift assist was poor I have to say, when compared to my KTM one, I really wouldn't bother speccing one if I was buying.
The usual Auto ESA foibles but I think with a bit of help from Denz0 that's all fixable now (but they really should do much better on an £18k bike).

But I'm not buying. The bike is tiny! I couldn't get my knees in the tank compressions (just wearing my BMW jeans, not even my full Aerostich)
After 10 minutes my knees were killing me, I had more room on my old VFR750. It's a real shame because the bike ticks all the other boxes.

I'll just have to get the screen setup right on my KTM I guess. Or go back to the K1600.

Anyway, thanks fellas for your insight, it's a superb bike for a 6 footer or less, but not for me I'm afraid.

Interestingly one fo the fellas at NOG is about 6'5", he rides a K1600, has been through the same thought process as me ...

Good that you rode one, but I suspected the RT might not be ideal for a taller rider, although one of my colleagues has just bought a 1250 and he is a bit of a giant :)

Denz0 on here can re spring and modify damping on ESA shocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Got to try the both. Knee bend and comfort on the RT is not an issue for my 6’4 frame, but was an issue on a K16 I previously ran.
GS is best on that, but you lose on wind comfort and marginally on high road speed dynamics. The latter never bothered me on my GSA LC that I sold for my current RT.
The reason I really made the move and something nobody here has yet mentioned was insurance costs. GS is much more desirable from the wrong sort, and much more nickable. My back to back quotes on GSA vs RT was 2.5 times more. So for life in urban UK or sth East, that may well play a role. In my case, a 4 year running cost difference between the two boxer models on the insurance alone would buy a mid sized commuting bike. Or a lovely holiday for the family. Have a think on this and some insurance pre shopping before you decide.

Great bikes i love it, i too had a couple of GS’s and the thing that had me looking at the RT was the price. They seem to be a lot cheaper in price.

I’m 6”2 and i find it very very comfy, i have a 2009 RT and has all the toys and love it. Today for example covered 120miles before work and then did a 12hr shift and feel great. Only changes i have made is fitting a heated Sargent seat the standard is uncomfortable after 50miles, the Sargent no issues after 150miles. I have also fitted a Calsci screen due to my height and this works a treat, lower it down when warm and raise it up and keep all the beasties off your lid.

No regrets coming from a GS love the bike. Dont test ride as like the GS they take a good few miles to adjust and unless you can get a long shot over a weekend i would just go for it.

Interesting responses from the tall fellas. How do your knees fit in the tank compressions? That was my problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Interesting responses from the tall fellas. How do your knees fit in the tank compressions? That was my problem.

Don't know - I am 6ft 3in and have no problems ... or if I have , have not noticed in 26,000 miles (seat in low position - which sounds illogical !)

Ah ok maybe that helps - I had it on high. Worth another look I think.

I had the LC 1200 RT for about 12 months lovely looking bike, i had the 1150 and 1200 GSA hex head at the same time, I have 34" inside leg even with the high seat and lowered foot pegs i was cramped after 100 miles, it always felt a bit of a maul to push about and a lot of plastic to worry about, the GSA was always the better choice for me, I sold mine before it lost too much of its value. It was the LE so had all the bits, happier with my GSA, it was one of those bikes i had to get out of my system, but just not for me.

Don't know - I am 6ft 3in and have no problems ... or if I have , have not noticed in 26,000 miles (seat in low position - which sounds illogical !)

What he said; I'm 6'-2" but one of my regular riding mates is a good 6'-4", & no problems.

Back
Top Bottom