Waterproof trousers recommendation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i got a pair from Mountain warehouse at the weekend they have a 70pc sale on at present, i just use them to put over my summer pants if it starts raining

i got a pair from Mountain warehouse at the weekend they have a 70pc sale on at present, i just use them to put over my summer pants if it starts raining

And they have full length zips which makes putting them on over boots a cinch

I have been doing some research myself on overtrousers. I have looked at loads and tried a few on and decided they are nearly all crap.

My eldest son has a pair of Lindstrand WP trousers that remained waterproof on his daily commute for about the last 4 years. Design of the current ones has changed though and when I tried some on it was such a fight to get them over my boots I gave up. No way would I be doing the hopping waterproofs dance at the side of the road.

Youngest son has a pair of Scott Ergo WP trousers. He got them as part of his postie uniform in New Zealand and he kept them when he finished. They are also waterproof even in the unbelievably heavy storms on the west coast of NZ. But, also hard to get on especially with already damp boots and jeans. The really good bit though is the high waist and the rubbery stretchy textile allows for a tighter fitting garment. I nearly bought a pair.

I am on my 3rd pair of BMW Rainlock overtrousers. These are great except each pair leaked at the crotch within a year or so of buying (perhaps I should try new rather than secondhand). This time rather than binning them i decided to try and seam seal the myriad of seams in the crotch - just painting on loads of McNett seam sealer. It seems to have worked - based on shoving them into a bowl of water. I will add a second coat just to be sure.

Put a carrier bag over your boot before trying to put the over trousers on.
Simple and effective.....although not as cost effective as it used to be when plastic bags were free.

Berghaus Goretex overtrousers.
100% dry with a forever Goretex warranty should they leak.

These are on offer at the moment and I’ve just got a pair, not tried them yet but they get good reviews. Reduced from £55 to £33

Attachments

• 364EE2CF-F15B-427B-9E3D-8D127D2E8904.jpeg
    364EE2CF-F15B-427B-9E3D-8D127D2E8904.jpeg
    29.1 KB · Views: 321
military gortex over trousers, it dont really matter what country they are all pretty good, and for goretex all fecking cheap

I've been surprised by the Buffalo overtrousers from Ghostbikes - only cost a tenner, years ago. Use them over day clothes for commuting if damp or cool. Also have some lined Held ones which were £30 for colder days in winter. Both are easy enough to get on over my Daytona boots as they have zipped gussets.

For longer journeys I'm wearing full Goretex textiles.

I got a pair of these https://www.gillmarine.com/gb/wproof-sailing-trs.html after finding my cheap spada over trousers leaked like a sieve.

These are more for summer over kevlar jeans if the weather turns unpleasant.

I have used these in torrential rain without any leaks they are slightly more expensive but in one payment you get what you pay for waterproof trousers.

Leaky seams.

Best repair i've found is simply duct tape or *good* quality Gaffer tape. Needs to be reasonably flexible. Just turn the trousers inside out and cover the leaking bit with tape.
The silver Aldi / Lidl is surprisingly good.
HTH

Scott Ergo here.

Put the jacket and trousers through some thorough testing the week before last in Ireland. God I couldn't have picked a worse week to go. Never seen so much rain. Biblical!

Anyway, where was I? Oh yeah, Scott Ergo. Never let a drop of damp in after 5 days of riding in torrential.

Highly recommended.

Scott Ergo here.

Put the jacket and trousers through some thorough testing the week before last in Ireland. God I couldn't have picked a worse week to go. Never seen so much rain. Biblical!

Anyway, where was I? Oh yeah, Scott Ergo. Never let a drop of damp in after 5 days of riding in torrential.

Highly recommended.

doesnt look like they have zips for getting on easily at roadside while it lashes down. Am I mistaken?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom