Oslo to Nordkapp route

Richparker

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi Has anyone got a route recommendations for getting from Oslo to Nordkapp. We would like to do this part of our trip in 4 days and had planned to use the E6 all the way up. However it has been suggested that this might not be the best choice and I'm open to other suggestions. We arrive in Oslo next Wednesday so haven't got an awful lot of time to re plan. cheers Richard

Hi Has anyone got a route recommendations for getting from Oslo to Nordkapp. We would like to do this part of our trip in 4 days and had planned to use the E6 all the way up. However it has been suggested that this might not be the best choice and I'm open to other suggestions. We arrive in Oslo next Wednesday so haven't got an awful lot of time to re plan. cheers Richard

Going north through Norway, the E6 should be avoided until passing north of Trondheim. North of Trondheim, there will be less traffic and there are fewer routes to choose from.

Here is a suggested alternative, going north.
https://www.google.no/maps/dir/59.9100659,10.7197024/Nordkapp,+9764+Nordkapp/@61.8512688,9.3543651,7.15z/data=!4m34!4m33!1m25!3m4!1m2!1d11.2141777!2d61.3590225!3s0x466a475ff1c76be5:0xab561cf8142eedac!3m4!1m2!1d10.6409687!2d62.2342649!3s0x466b6557b13301b3:0xfdfd7eeae435c020!3m4!1m2!1d11.1874815!2d63.185683!3s0x466d02ffa81d1daf:0xf6187bcf4e306d41!3m4!1m2!1d11.4327044!2d63.7651721!3s0x466d7b3f6bc41c4d:0x2120dbe52b772e6e!3m4!1m2!1d15.6172444!2d67.5270695!3s0x45ded3b08307a45d:0x71c0f2c371e1d4a2!1m5!1m1!1s0x45c84d095f47a5f3:0xf9f9b4271afddf7e!2m2!1d25.7836599!2d71.1709533!3e0

To get out of Oslo, all choices are not very interesting MC roads, so you may as well start out on E6, then head over to E3, and passing Røros, rather than going through Trondheim, take the eastern route that will take you to Stjørdal area and continue on E6 from there.

Heading back south there are different options, depending on the time available. There are several places up North worth a visit, but the distances in between are long, so it's all about time.

It may be a better idea and cut the distance ambitions and rather take the time to enjoy where you actually go rather than racing between gas stations...

Tollroads and speed cameras:

99% of all tollroads offer free passage for MC. If they want money from MC as well, you will know for sure, so don't worry about Tollroads.

Speed cameras do not catch MC. Norwegian legislation demands the drivers face to be positively identified, which is not possible with a helmet on.
Radar/Laser control is most of the time in areas for 60/50 km/h, so pay attention in those areas. Control is less frequent in 80km/h areas. In these areas, 10 - 15 (on your clock) above speed limit is usually ok. (But don't come to me if you get a ticket :beerjug:)

Really useful information - thanks. Are fuel stations and campsites plentiful the further north you go? Cheers

I can imagine planning fuel stops being the main issue for the 650, I'd plan on carrying extra fuel or a means of syphoning some out of one of the bigger bikes an a back up.
Enjoy the trip

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

I can imagine planning fuel stops being the main issue for the 650, I'd plan on carrying extra fuel or a means of syphoning some out of one of the bigger bikes an a back up.
Enjoy the trip

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Thanks. We've got a Rotopax can that we could take out but I don't think they will allow it on the plane. Might just have to get a container out there.

Really useful information - thanks. Are fuel stations and campsites plentiful the further north you go? Cheers

Fuel stations is not a problem. I don't know the range of the X-country, but there is no area where there is more than 150km between gas stations, even in the most remote areas. North/east of Tromsø¸ a short range may require some planning when you stray off the E6. If you plan to use tents, Norway is a free-camp country, i.e you may camp where ever you like as long as it is not cultivated land and 150 from nearest house.

This site shows campsites:
https://en.camping.info/norway/north-norway/campsites
Booking.com is also fairly well covered.

Making phone calls is not a problem, as they all speak English and phone coverage is good. Some gas stations offer free WiFi.

A footnote:
Some assholes have decided to charge money in order to enter the North Cape plateau. Even if it is centroversial and much debated, the decision still stands.
However, If you decide to pay, take a look inside the building. In the basement there is a section covering the sinking of the German battleship Scharnhorst and almost 1900 young men lost their life. If you are into history, this was a great feat made by the British navy, (if we may say killing 1900 men is great. However, war is war) and well worth spending the time.

Right now the E6 is just a mess of roadworks until north of the Arctic Circle and I’d say you’ve got absolutely no chance of getting from Oslo to the Nordkapp in 4 days. That’s not a random guess, we got back from riding to the Arctic Circle centre 4 days ago and in places it was painful.

You’ve got about 30 miles of roadworks from just south of Hamar but you can avoid some of it by using the E3 but even that has long sections of roadworks.

From just north of Steinkjer to Mosjøen has long sections where it’s one way traffic but you can bypass a lot of that by doing a loop through Sweden and picking up the E6 again at Mo i Rana but then you’ve got long sections of roadworks closer to the Arctic Circle centre. We gave up at that point rather than persevere to Tromso as was planned at one point.

You’ve also got the issue of 50mph speed limits and speeding penalties that will make your eyes water so if it’s Nordkapp or bust go through Sweden.

Thanks again for all the info Knutk. It sounds a bit of a nightmare up there - maybe we should have a rethink although all our maps are on the bike which doesn't help :blast

Thanks Mr knutk for posting that up ... It is a trip I am planning for next year hopefully, when others have retired and we all have more time to go at a leisurely pace .. really useful and the map is spot on :thumb2

Unfortunately we can't take a Rotopax fuel container onto the plane. Is there anyone in Norway that knows of a Rotopax dealer over there or a similar design fuel can that we could buy when we arrive? Cheers

I don't know the range of the X-country

9.5 litres is the quoted tank size.

If we assume a modest 10 miles per litre, that is a range of 95 miles or 150 km.

Is there anyone in Norway that knows of a Rotopax dealer over there or a similar design fuel can that we could buy when we arrive?

Why not buy a new one, here in the UK and chuck it (unused) into a case and into the hold? Use it if you have to in Norway and bin it on your return. You’ll be binning the Norwegian bought one (if you can find one) anyway. It will be cheaper here, if nothing else.

Failing that, there’s a good chance you could bring a new (unused) one on as hand luggage. It’s not a fuel container until it has fuel in it; before then it’s a plastic box. Take the cap off.

9.5 litres is the quoted tank size.

If we assume a modest 10 miles per litre, that is a range of 95 miles or 150 km.

Why not buy a new one, here in the UK and chuck it (unused) into a case and into the hold? Use it if you have to in Norway and bin it on your return. You’ll be binning the Norwegian bought one (if you can find one) anyway. It will be cheaper here, if nothing else.

Failing that, there’s a good chance you could bring a new (unused) one on as hand luggage. It’s not a fuel container until it has fuel in it; before then it’s a plastic box. Take the cap off.

Hi We're riding home from Norway so we will be keeping it. We've only got hand luggage on the flight and after speaking to a friend that works on airport security I don't think we'll be able to get a used fuel container through. We're flying early Wednesday morning so getting a new one delivered will be a push. I have got a new water Rotopax container which could be an option.

You go to Norway on Wednesday (effectively Tuesday) and you are only now wondering about routes, fuel and the like?

Have you been busy? :D

We had chosen the route up but an inmate from Norway advised a different route and advised putting something on this forum. In regards to fuel, one of the guys going was taking his 2017 GS up until the engine let go at 10pm the night before we were due to drop the bikes off to be shipped. He's now on a bike with a 9.5 litre tank rather than a 20 odd litre tank - best laid plans and all that!

FWIW,

Going back south again, you have to proceed on the E6 for a while, but as you proceed further westbound there are optional roads. The roads will bring you to some scenic areas, but also boring sections. However, if time is available, at least, touring the island Senja is worth while.
Whatever your choice, you will have to go by ferries, and some of he ferries does not go that often.

This website offers all the timetables for the northern ferries: https://nordnorge.com/EN-svalbard/?News=157

Also, if time permits, road 17 from Bodø going south is worthwhile. These ferries go more frequently. This site list the timetables.
https://www.visitnorway.com/places-to-go/trondelag/kystriksveien/getting-here/ferries-express-boats-along-the-coastal-route-kystriksveien/?lang=uk

Been to the top a few times ,from Scotland , pack the camp gear and ride .
When there is no more road north ,, that's the top :thumb2
Seems to me Tooooo much overthinking !
Decent map ( Michelin ) and off you go :thumb2:thumb2
The good roads are marked in green :thumb2
Enjoy

FWIW,

Going back south again, you have to proceed on the E6 for a while, but as you proceed further westbound there are optional roads. The roads will bring you to some scenic areas, but also boring sections. However, if time is available, at least, touring the island Senja is worth while.
Whatever your choice, you will have to go by ferries, and some of he ferries does not go that often.

This website offers all the timetables for the northern ferries: https://nordnorge.com/EN-svalbard/?News=157

Also, if time permits, road 17 from Bodø going south is worthwhile. These ferries go more frequently. This site list the timetables.
https://www.visitnorway.com/places-to-go/trondelag/kystriksveien/getting-here/ferries-express-boats-along-the-coastal-route-kystriksveien/?lang=uk

We had already earmarked the 17 but thanks for the other tips :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom