Scotland September - Light Sleeping Bag + Liner vs Heavy Sleeping Bag?

PhaedrusMC

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
NC500 this September, mostly camping...

Option 1
Domex down sleeping bag - warm (3-season), reasonably compact.

Option 2
Snugpak Travelpak 4 synthetic sleeping bag - warm (4-season), quite bulky.

Option 3
Snugpak Jungle Bag synthetic sleeping bag (2-season) + Sea To Summit Reactor synthetic liner (or its ilk)- possibly warm enough, very compact.

Either option will be atop an Exped SynMat 9LW, and thermal base layers will also be in the pannier if needed.

Tent is a Vango Mistral 200, with a Vango footprint.

Leaning toward option 3 - the bulk of the Travelpak 4 really eats up a lot of space.

What say ye?

I've heard rumours of a magick potion that seems to repel even Scottish midges? Anyone else know of such?

When in September ? early you'll be fine whatever, late, you may freeze your bollocks off, as for midge repellent, there isn't one, you'll get eaten alive between certain times.

I've heard rumours of a magick potion that seems to repel even Scottish midges? Anyone else know of such?

Rub Marmite on all exposed skin. It's better to be too warm than cold.

As said, September shouldn't be too bad but get some Smidge, works for me

I would take the option 3 for sleeping bag, a 4 season bag would be way too much

We might well make it work that we hit that Ardnamurchan gig - that'd be cool. :thumb2

I love compact. I'm hoping my (really compact) Jungle Bag + good (compact) thermal liner + (compact) Exped mat + base layers will be warm enough. The pack size of the 4-season bag is just stupid big, even with its compression bag squashed down.

are you taking something to boil water?
i take a padded hot water bottle!
laughed at yes,give a damn no

are you taking something to boil water?
i take a padded hot water bottle!
laughed at yes,give a damn no

Smooth stones out of the river... scrub with nailbrush, or pot scrubber. Put cleaned stones in boiling pot when making coffee before bed. Put dry, hot stones in sleeping bag, drink coffee/cocoa, retire into toasty prewarmed sleeping bag, remove stones when they cool and put where you won't stand on them in the night!

Back
Top Bottom