Talk me out of a K1600 ...

k1600

got one,
brand new just coming up to 1000 miles,last bike was the excellent r1200r sport,got it for its 2 up ness,its the bollox,forget the size etc,that engine is the best there is,good handling etc,50mpg ,the only thing i would need on it is a 7th gear.
best bike so far,i was buying a new fjr 1300,glad i got the 1600 .
recommended.

got one,
brand new just coming up to 1000 miles,last bike was the excellent r1200r sport,got it for its 2 up ness,its the bollox,forget the size etc,that engine is the best there is,good handling etc,50mpg ,the only thing i would need on it is a 7th gear.
best bike so far,i was buying a new fjr 1300,glad i got the 1600 .
recommended.

ps,i wanted to buy the bagger.but you cannot take the panniers off,i need them off to get into the back yard.

An excellent motorcycle.

Comfortable, no need to add any bling (other than a plate to extend the area of the side stand’s foot) and it’s got more power than most people will ever need. Good in traffic (I live in central London) and first class on the open road, including the twisties, where its weight just vanishes. That being said, you do not want to get it pointing the wrong way, going fast around a bumpy Ardennes’ hairpin.... it will just take you with it.

Excellent luggage. The central locking works well. The reverse gear is handy sometimes. The quick shifter is nice. Electric screen is top notch. The heated seats and grips, excellent.

It eats tyres. I change front and back together, as the weight / power of the bike wears both out pretty evenly. I take a careful note of the mileage when I fit new tyres, knowing that the Metzler tyres will not do 4,500 miles. You get some warning that the tyres are on their way out, as the bike will start to track the paint down the middle of the road on overtakes. You’ll also get really strong squirming on hard acceleration, along with the usual ‘falling’ into corners. Don’t ignore the signs. The wear on the Metzler tyres is deceiving; slow wear at first until say 3,500 but the last 1,000 miles wears really fast.

I am on my third, owning the bikes since the model was first announced. The pull to the left of the early variants has been fixed as has (just about) the egg beater noise from the transmission. I traded my second one in early, not because of problems, but because I got a really good deal on a cancelled order.

I haven’t got the SOS button thing.

The iwheel works well.

I have never used the radio or the other home entertainment bollox.

You DO have to keep the radiator clean or the bike WILL overheat,

Exactly the same as my experience; I'm also on my 3rd. It's the only one of my motorcycles that me wife will ride pillion on as the ride is so stable and smooth. Eats miles with ease...but also tyres. Having said that my last set gave more than 6,800 miles and still have 3.5mm of tread; thery did go very square though!

It's my weapon of choice for long distance trips.

Hi all

You may have seen my “talk me out of a r1200rt” thread which led me to conclude it’s just too small a bike for me (6’3” 34” inside leg)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hi Nin,
As I wrote on your other thread, I had both bikes and I am also 6’4. For some design reason I find the RT a more spacious bike in the foot/knee/back/arm quadrangle than the K16 was. I can live (I do actually) with an RT, but could not live with the K for long periods. Saying that, they are both more cramped than any GS.

Other memorable feedback from my life with the k16: it was super heavy with a very different cg feeling than the boxers, and felt quite “topply” often, to the point that I would not risk tight u-turns, whereas they are a doddle on the boxers.
It also used to feel quite warm around the legs, and traffic filtering in southern european cities in summer used to make me heave from the heat boiling up to me.
On the positive note, I never had any issues with it in warranty terms or other claims, and I did overall enjoy the two large european tours I did in my two years with it. Mainly because of that engine, whose noise, feel and traction are epic - don’t listen to the k13 brigade as the 13s might be marginally faster allegedly, but they really don’t compare.

And then I got an RT after all. Which for me does more things more of the time and costs significantly less to insure than a regular GS, which has been and remains my favourite bike.

But yes, if I could have and keep more bikes, I would reconsider a K16 for long tours, and a gs for everything else. The RT is a (very) good single bike compromise instead of two.

Cheers Theo,

I’m going to have another longer ride on a 1200rt later in the summer, with a high seat and lowered pegs.

Nin

Hi all

You may have seen my “talk me out of a r1200rt” thread which led me to conclude it’s just too small a bike for me (6’3” 34” inside leg).

Now I had a K1600 for 6 weeks but had a chance to swap for a KTM 1290 SA-T which I couldn’t resist.

I loved it, but worried about reliability, servicing costs (I do 10k plus miles a year), overheating, having to clean out the radiator etc. Actually I’m not sure now what I was worried about.

So talk me out of a K1600 ...

Met 2 Swiss gentlemen yesterday trying to enjoy a ride up the mountains here on the baggers , now these bikes are a thing of beauty totally awesome looking bikes, however the poor guys rode up about 15 miles and signalled quick coffee stop, I said wow you guys drink a lot of coffee, answer was nope, we need to stop this is so hard throwing these bikes into your tiny Black forest corners, in Switzerland the passes are wider, yep know that been there, after coffee they decided to head back down, and get on the B3 and head towards the B500, so seems it will be a fairly heavy bike to lug around unless you are a riding god like Wapping.

Cheers Theo,

I’m going to have another longer ride on a 1200rt later in the summer, with a high seat and lowered pegs.

Nin

Like Theo I've had both K16 and RT, and concur with his views.

Take a K16 around a mountain hairpin and I'd wish to be riding an RT every time, it is so much easier to ride.

That said I'm only 6'1 /34" and am in the process of reworking my latest RT to improve the knee bend. That means lower pegs 1" and having BOTH front and rear seat rebuilt to move me up 1" and back 2". As a consequence bar backs/risers will complete the fix. The bike then really becomes ask day comfy for me

k1600

just came back from the iom,could not fault it,smooth,fast,good luggage etc,done approx 500 miles on the trip from bham/Liverpool,getting in /out the ferry was a bit slippery though,good on fuel,the only problem i have had is a warning light came on about 5 times in total and stalled a few times,low gear,but its in for a look in a few weeks/cheltnam.two up its gotta be one of the best.
apart from that love it.:thumb2

Unless you can afford a late model, I suggest you look elsewhere. Doubtless you have checked out the K1600 forum.

My 2012 K16GTSE proved to be just about the most unreliable bike I have owned, since riding around on cheap wrecks way back when. Maybe I was just unlucky, but mine had already had the switch gear replaced prior to purchase. The the front damper failed & cupped the tyre just a few days before a 3000 mile tour. After waiting weeks for parts, the gearbox then failed on the way to getting the damper fixed. I was well pissed off & once everything was sorted under warranty thankfully, I part-exed it in 2014 for an FJR1300 AE, which I still run today. Doubtless it ran like a clock for the subsequent owners - it's still out there, now over 40k & counting.

For me the attraction was that super smooth 6, but I can't say I miss either the size or the weight - these are big old beasts. Nor was I ever too keen on the FBW throttle or the way it chewed through tyres. Nonetheless, it was an engineering statement from BMW, along with it's subsequent derivatives, the bagger & GA. Probably something that won't get repeated, rather like V8/12 engines in cars.

If it were my money looking new/youngish used, I think I would be considering an R1250RT or RS.

k1600

purchased it new,
3 years etc etc,
intend to keep it a couple of years,i know its going to drop in value,they all do,i did not buy it for that.
i had a r1200r sport before the 1600,but 2 up not that good,that is why the 1600 was purchased.
having a triumph xc1200 and a rocket 111 before that i would never buy triumph again.
the 1600 hopefully will be better than them,and the engine mmmmm nice.
touch wood that is.:thumb2

Cheers all, you talked me out of it, thanks! Maybe one day though ...

Back
Top Bottom