Talk me out of a K1600 ...

Nin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all

You may have seen my “talk me out of a r1200rt” thread which led me to conclude it’s just too small a bike for me (6’3” 34” inside leg).

Now I had a K1600 for 6 weeks but had a chance to swap for a KTM 1290 SA-T which I couldn’t resist.

I loved it, but worried about reliability, servicing costs (I do 10k plus miles a year), overheating, having to clean out the radiator etc. Actually I’m not sure now what I was worried about.

So talk me out of a K1600 ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hi all

You may have seen my “talk me out of a r1200rt” thread which led me to conclude it’s just too small a bike for me (6’3” 34” inside leg).

Now I had a K1600 for 6 weeks but had a chance to swap for a KTM 1290 SA-T which I couldn’t resist.

I loved it, but worried about reliability, servicing costs (I do 10k plus miles a year), overheating, having to clean out the radiator etc. Actually I’m not sure now what I was worried about.

So talk me out of a K1600 ...

Wapping has one.

Buy one, cost is around £7,000 used or £20,000 new maybe the fastest depreciating BMW bike at the moment

1. £££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££ (if without BMW Warranty)

2. Your Driving licence will go on the endangered list....

3. If you like GS riding down little lanes and twisties and the like, you may not find this the most easy bike for that sort of riding.....and obviously, no off-roading either

1. £££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££ (if without BMW Warranty)

2. Your Driving licence will go on the endangered list....

3. If you like GS riding down little lanes and twisties and the like, you may not find this the most easy bike for that sort of riding.....and obviously, no off-roading either

Yeah that.

Seriously I’m not riding off road any more, unless it on a 100 kg bike.

An excellent motorcycle.

Comfortable, no need to add any bling (other than a plate to extend the area of the side stand’s foot) and it’s got more power than most people will ever need. Good in traffic (I live in central London) and first class on the open road, including the twisties, where its weight just vanishes. That being said, you do not want to get it pointing the wrong way, going fast around a bumpy Ardennes’ hairpin.... it will just take you with it.

Excellent luggage. The central locking works well. The reverse gear is handy sometimes. The quick shifter is nice. Electric screen is top notch. The heated seats and grips, excellent.

It eats tyres. I change front and back together, as the weight / power of the bike wears both out pretty evenly. I take a careful note of the mileage when I fit new tyres, knowing that the Metzler tyres will not do 4,500 miles. You get some warning that the tyres are on their way out, as the bike will start to track the paint down the middle of the road on overtakes. You’ll also get really strong squirming on hard acceleration, along with the usual ‘falling’ into corners. Don’t ignore the signs. The wear on the Metzler tyres is deceiving; slow wear at first until say 3,500 but the last 1,000 miles wears really fast.

I am on my third, owning the bikes since the model was first announced. The pull to the left of the early variants has been fixed as has (just about) the egg beater noise from the transmission. I traded my second one in early, not because of problems, but because I got a really good deal on a cancelled order.

I haven’t got the SOS button thing.

The iwheel works well.

I have never used the radio or the other home entertainment bollox.

You DO have to keep the radiator clean or the bike WILL overheat,

I think their a good bike. The magic 6. BUT I dint think they do anything any better than say a fjr. Except for a bit more power and a good bit more weight. To be honest id buy one in the morning if I could afford a new one and also could afford to own another bike as well like a gs. JJH

k1600 B would be my choice if I had to have a 1600

Thanks fellas.

At that rate I’d be into new tyres every 6 weeks, service every 3 months. Maybe I’ll buy a car.

I think their a good bike. The magic 6. BUT I dint think they do anything any better than say a fjr. Except for a bit more power and a good bit more weight. To be honest id buy one in the morning if I could afford a new one and also could afford to own another bike as well like a gs. JJH

The FJR is not for tall riders, the OP has a 34” inside leg

You should buy my Triumph Trophy SE at half the price, half the cylinders.....and almost half the weight.

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom