Rattling engine and seizing exhaust flap.

But i cant see that it makes them cheaper, indeed id say it was the opposite, what with the amount of claims for new engines the total must be staggering. Better to spend a few quid more at the outset rather than having to replace the hundreds of engines that are going wrong worldwide. Just as well for the 3 year warranty i say. You would be really pissed off if it blew up a few weeks after it expired.
I was going to buy a 1250 in the spring next year, but having followed this tread will be staying with my 2012 twin cam for at least another year, perhaps permanently? These failures must be putting lots of potential buyers off.
Glad your sorted Mark.

Ah, that’s interesting! And yeah the EuroShite has made sure that tuning is properly banned now :(

But to be fair the 1250 engine is pretty good as standard (when it’s not eating itself)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will get beaver started again. ;) but tend to agree tuning days on the 1250 are over at the moment, but lets not get the fighting going again.

I was going to buy a 1250 in the spring next year, but having followed this tread will be staying with my 2012 twin cam for at least another year, perhaps permanently? These failures must be putting lots of potential buyers off.
Glad your sorted Mark.

Another lost sale for the Mothership

Glad your sorted Mark.

Last year I test rode the 1250 but didnt fancy being a Beta tester for the new engine so I bought one of the last 1200GSA Rallye bikes. 2000 miles in and its been in the dealers for 6 weeks waiting on a decision from BMW on whether to replace the engine. Started with a rattle on the left cylinder head which resulted in the bike being stripped to investigate. Technicians found witness marks (from something) on the cam sprockets, excessive endplay on the starter gears and scoring on the big end shells. Its not just the 1250s that have their issues!

Another lost sale for the Mothership

Yet they're still the best seller by a long chalk:nenau

I've given up worrying about it nowadays I had the same experience with my last one (TC) when they were apparently failing like soft mick and it went like a dream for years before I decided to start the 'anxiety cycle' (brmm brum) again by buying a new one:blast

Here's hoping as it's a bloody good bike it really is:thumb2

To all with probs good luck too I hope you all get sorted reasonably pronto.

You will get beaver started again. ;) but tend to agree tuning days on the 1250 are over at the moment, but lets not get the fighting going again.

Just getting up to speed with this thread and wondering how I'm going to fare in the GS lottery?! Brings to mind an ol buddy of mine who's VTEC vuffer decided to lose its camshaft case hardening when it was just a couple years out of warranty. Wrecked engine, Honda denied all responsibility, he had to decide between a huge bill for a new / recon engine or cutting his losses, selling it for a pittance and moving on. He did the latter. This was about 10-12 years ago.

Really hoping that my GS is more er, lucky than his VFR and beaver's GS. My bike's warranty ran out today :blast :aidan

I'm also wondering if my bike is the one that beaver mentioned viewing in his 'new bike' thread...the one with only 4k on the clock that already have a load of corrosion?! The timing would have been about right and there surely can't have been that many low mileage bikes around at the time with so much corrosion that anyone in their right mind would run a country mile??!

Just goes to show - there's always a simpleton chump somewhere that doesn't run :augie

Just getting up to speed with this thread and wondering how I'm going to fare in the GS lottery?! Brings to mind an ol buddy of mine who's VTEC vuffer decided to lose its camshaft case hardening when it was just a couple years out of warranty. Wrecked engine, Honda denied all responsibility, he had to decide between a huge bill for a new / recon engine or cutting his losses, selling it for a pittance and moving on. He did the latter. This was about 10-12 years ago.

Really hoping that my GS is more er, lucky than his VFR and beaver's GS. My bike's warranty ran out today :blast :aidan

I'm also wondering if my bike is the one that beaver mentioned viewing in his 'new bike' thread...the one with only 4k on the clock that already have a load of corrosion?! The timing would have been about right and there surely can't have been that many low mileage bikes around at the time with so much corrosion that anyone in their right mind would run a country mile??!

Just goes to show - there's always a simpleton chump somewhere that doesn't run :augie

Extended warranty is well worth it imho, believe it is 38 quid a month in the UK, breakdown cover alone is worth it. :beerjug:

Would the Af-Xieds not affect the warranty though Smogbob? Just wondering (and just popped the same query on a warranty thread :blast)

Edit: if not then absolutely, got to be worth it for the peace of mind alone!

Would the Af-Xieds not affect the warranty though Smogbob? Just wondering (and just popped the same query on a warranty thread :blast)

If, your engine went bang and it was identified that after market accessory was responsible for the failure, then you would make a claim against the accessories manufacturer for causing the fault as it was not fit for purpose and of merchantable quality.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

No, I wish BMW would get its QC up to scratch, for starters
BMW are far from being alone when it comes to problems of this nature, as I'm sure we're all aware. Perhaps the problem as such is one of expectation; the marque has always been marketed as a premium product and priced according. Consumers therefore expect, but often do not get, less product defects than other less expensive brands. This has only been exacerbated by the Internet, where issues such as flaky, flaking camshafts may once have been brushed under the carpet by a manufacturer.

They can hardly do that these days, what with to us meddlesome forum users actually discussing these disappointments in real time :beerjug:

Will answer this question in the AF-xied thread as to not pollute Mark,s engine thread. :beerjug:

Fella, anywhere near me? If so I`ve got a professional level GS 911 and I might be able to help (or at least diagnose what it is)?

And fanks, lads, for all the support.

Hi Thanks for offer I have the GS911 but bike under warranty so BMW's problem for rest of the warranty period.

Hi Thanks for offer I have the GS911 but bike under warranty so BMW's problem for rest of the warranty period.

I would still want to know the cause before taking it in, but maybe thats just me

Well at least there are plenty of Beta Testers now doing BMW's R&D for them, so by 2022 it'll be a decent and semi-reliable bike.

I'd better start saving.....

Will answer this question in the AF-xied thread as to not pollute Mark,s engine thread. :beerjug:

Fanks pal :beerjug:

As it `appens (now then now then) I do have an opinion on AF-xied and similar stuff but I`ll keep that for another thread too!

Back
Top Bottom