Rattling engine and seizing exhaust flap.

3 years warranty is down to consumers losing confidence. Might not have dented sales but BMW know that alot of sales are repeat sales..

Wonder when they will give a 5 year warranty?

It's a shame there is not a JD power survey for bikes

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

They care not. We pay the price we do to fund the rectification of their cheap bits. These things are designed as disposables now, not to last....
If I were you with a new engine and that miles, I'd reject the thing and get your money back... there will be bits everywhere, goodness knows what issues are in store longer term....

That is a worry - I’m sure it’s been said before however I think cost cutting has resulted in less well engineered parts! That three year warranty will come in handy......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s not good , Mark.
Why do BMW do this with almost every new bike ? The GS850 was withdrawn from sale early on due engine issues . New S1000RRs are severely delayed due to engine issues . And now it seems the 1250s have issues .
It’s great they have a 3 year warranty but should you need to call on it so soon ?

I'd rather have zero warranty, but bikes that last... at least they would have a value longer term

That’s not good , Mark.
Why do BMW do this with almost every new bike ? The GS850 was withdrawn from sale early on due engine issues . New S1000RRs are severely delayed due to engine issues . And now it seems the 1250s have issues .
It’s great they have a 3 year warranty but should you need to call on it so soon ?

Yes, I’m not sure if bring stuff to market so soon is a good idea - I get it about commercial pressures and all of that and I just hope that BMW have a moment of reflection over this as for the long term it’s not supposed he best of things!

Yes, I’m not sure if bring stuff to market so soon is a good idea - I get it about commercial pressures and all of that and I just hope that BMW have a moment of reflection over this as for the long term it’s not supposed he best of things!

In the good old days - BMW kept bikes pretty similar for the life cycle of the model - take the 1100 GS, it ran from 1994-99 and was pretty much unchanged
Then the 1150 was a similar bike with engine changes and fork/drive shaft etc - however some bits are still interchangeable between 1100 and 1150
1150 didn't get many changes except to abs (flawed) and twin spark

First 1200's was when things really changed and the wc ranges get changed frequently due to commercial pressure

BMW are on the technology race and it shows

Excuse earlier typo’s JB - walking dog and stupid fingers :)

Admittedly not knowing too much about the earlier models I suspect that you are very much right. ABS still seemed flawed In as late as my 2006 model. Without a doubt (and I’m not BMW bashing) the later models actually do appear to be made with cost cutting rather than inherent strength and durability the prime directive. In my very humble opinion and having worked albeit briefly on an airhead the earlier models seem over-engineered compared to the later ones. A tech race is good, we get to experience the goodies they make.

Back to my RH cylinder whatever the problem is I suspect that it’s down to either unproven tech and/or cost cutting.

And as for the exhaust flap - I heard on the grapevine that someone’s had failed at 2k! That’s just such a sad thing!

Told the other day that a local r1250gs owner is not amused with a second breakdown so far (due to what is believed to be fuel pump issues ) on his low mileage bike bought new in May.

Excuse earlier typo’s JB - walking dog and stupid fingers :)

Admittedly not knowing too much about the earlier models I suspect that you are very much right. ABS still seemed flawed In as late as my 2006 model. Without a doubt (and I’m not BMW bashing) the later models actually do appear to be made with cost cutting rather than inherent strength and durability the prime directive. In my very humble opinion and having worked albeit briefly on an airhead the earlier models seem over-engineered compared to the later ones. A tech race is good, we get to experience the goodies they make.

Back to my RH cylinder whatever the problem is I suspect that it’s down to either unproven tech and/or cost cutting.

Only the Servo ABS was flawed on Twinspark 1150's (2003-2005/6) and early 1200's (2004-2006/7) - but you weren't forced to have it (like now) as it was optional then.
Earlier ABS2 and even previous to that........... the ABS was fine, albeit slightly crude

I still do think that earlier GS, prior to any 1200's are still fine bikes to ride and it depends how/what you ride

I have no desire for over 100 bhp, it's not really necessary on today's congested and speed camera policed roads

My next bike may well be a 74 bhp Tenere 700, which baring compulsory ABS (which can be turned off) has zero electronic gadgets - not even fly by wire throttle............but it rides beautifully for its size and weight

My next bike may well be a 74 bhp Tenere 700, which baring compulsory ABS (which can be turned off) has zero electronic gadgets - not even fly by wire throttle............but it rides beautifully for its size and weight

And which, despite very considerable customer demand, has taken an eternity to reach the showrooms. Maybe Yamaha prefer to do the beta testing themselves??

Only the Servo ABS was flawed on Twinspark 1150's (2003-2005/6) and early 1200's (2004-2006/7) - but you weren't forced to have it (like now) as it was optional then.

I had a 1150RT twin spark and two 1200RT with servo. Still alive. There was no option to delete, only on the GS.

Back to the flappy thing, can you cut out the offending section and weld a connecting tube? Probably I am talking bollocks and was already done?

I have no desire for over 100 bhp, it's not really necessary on today's congested and speed camera policed roads

Plus one - seriously thinking about the t700 in about 18 months...

Plus one - seriously thinking about the t700 in about 18 months...

I quite like that. Less complicated, but tank range only 140 miles...? Maybe that is standard for a midrange, but I look forward to seeing it in the flesh.

I recently sold my 2013 GS LC and bought the bike in my avatar, a 2002 Yamaha Fazer FZS600 for £200. It had been garaged for 9 years, no battery, flat tyre and throttle jammed closed with the butterflies encrusted with dried out old petrol.

New battery, a set of new tyres and a second hand set of carbs (remember them) and it stands me at £600. Bike had done 16000 miles.

What a great bike !

94 horsepower, a 22 litre tank with a range of about 230+ miles and in pretty good condition. It is great fun to ride and did a 1200 mile trip to Scotland and back without missing a beat.

Fueling is perfect with no snatchiness, handles well and has a nice riding position. Of course it has no electronics, no ABS or traction control.

I look at some of the modern stuff now and see lots of cheaply produced parts and wonder why new bikes cost as much as they do.

I've come to the conclusion that newer is not necessarily better.

New bikes cost as much as they do because of

1) Born again bikers with retirement pots

2) PCP contract finance at very low interest rates

Recipe for large volume high value sales.

I recently sold my 2013 GS LC and bought the bike in my avatar, a 2002 Yamaha Fazer FZS600 for £200. It had been garaged for 9 years, no battery, flat tyre and throttle jammed closed with the butterflies encrusted with dried out old petrol.

New battery, a set of new tyres and a second hand set of carbs (remember them) and it stands me at £600. Bike had done 16000 miles.

What a great bike !

94 horsepower, a 22 litre tank with a range of about 230+ miles and in pretty good condition. It is great fun to ride and did a 1200 mile trip to Scotland and back without missing a beat.

Fueling is perfect with no snatchiness, handles well and has a nice riding position. Of course it has no electronics, no ABS or traction control.

I look at some of the modern stuff now and see lots of cheaply produced parts and wonder why new bikes cost as much as they do.

I've come to the conclusion that newer is not necessarily better.

I never see bargains like that. Well done.

Has a 600 2005 fazer and loved it. Seriously considering selling the GS LC in 18 months, and purchasing a year old t700 and fazer 1000 for the odd time when you want a real blast.

I quite like that. Less complicated, but tank range only 140 miles...? Maybe that is standard for a midrange, but I look forward to seeing it in the flesh.

Give it 6 months after the release of the T700 to the public and Acerbis/Clarke/IMS/Safari etc will all have large tanks for sale , probably pannier tanks , uprated suspension and other farkles for them will be everywhere.

Been thinking if I sell the Versys, CCM 404 and XR250 it will go a good way towards one next year

Back
Top Bottom