Rattling engine and seizing exhaust flap.

It doesn’t matter that you don’t buy the best selling adventure bike on the market. Thousands do and have zero issues with them. The three year warranty’s should be peace of mind against any problems costing you anything to repair. Bet the orange squad don’t do that !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get that, but BMW should address the quality control issue, so people don’t have to rely on the warranty. But, as long as sales figures are high, that won’t ever happen.

We’ve got two BMW cars on the drive, and haven’t had a single issue with either. I’ve owned over 12 BMW cars over the years, and haven’t had any issues with any of those, so why can’t BMW apply the same quality control to their bikes?

I get that, but BMW should address the quality control issue, so people don’t have to rely on the warranty. But, as long as sales figures are high, that won’t ever happen.

We’ve got two BMW cars on the drive, and haven’t had a single issue with either. I’ve owned over 12 BMW cars over the years, and haven’t had any issues with any of those, so why can’t BMW apply the same quality control to their bikes?

Build em cheap and sell em expensive.

Maybe as simple as a car weight wise, is not really a problem, you bump up the power, however on the bikes, they are trying to bump up power in tiny spaces, making things smaller and lighter has a cost, not easy to resolve all the puzzles, hence they went from 13-17.5 to get things right, then after 17.6 put a TFT screen on to tryout for the new 1250,s and now back to square one with a new shiftcam engine, its all very puzzling, but seems to work for them.

Maybe as simple as a car weight wise, is not really a problem, you bump up the power, however on the bikes, they are trying to bump up power in tiny spaces, making things smaller and lighter has a cost, not easy to resolve all the puzzles, hence they went from 13-17.5 to get things right, then after 17.6 put a TFT screen on to tryout for the new 1250,s and now back to square one with a new shiftcam engine, its all very puzzling, but seems to work for them.

Good points , well made.But does trying to squeeze a quart into a pint pot have anything to do with why BMW can’t paint a bike properly anymore ?

Could not agree more. Not just BMW, but all mechanical products nowadays. Always buy the mk2 model or final run model even better. You give up “novelty” and pub bragging rights for a better product. Always. Especially as most things today with part of their lifing and development factor done by the first customers.

But pub bragging rights only work if the product works.....

If you're stranded on the hard shoulder of the motorway with a brand new reg plate....

Or sat in the dealers for another 4 hours on a sunny morning, getting a failure inspected.....

Warranty or not, latest bike or not.... it's shit.

Let’s be honest these new bikes are not built to last 50-100 thousand miles. (Yes with a lot of care they will)

They are treated as practically disposable. They just need to last as long as the warranty lasts and that means a percentage will fail early.
After three years their price is in the toilet and it’s not just because of the finance deals. Unless they are really looked after they get seriously ratty at 5 or 6 years old.
Back with the 1100 & 1150s nobody would be swapping bikes every two years so they were built to last longer.
Now BMW has a great system turning owners onto a new bike every 2-3 years.

Even the cars, the tolerances are so fine in the engine and gearbox that there is no way they will do a 100,000 miles without some major work.

But that’s everything now, it’s not repaired it’s replaced. Your tv breaks, there aren’t many tv repair guys anymore - remember them?, you replace it.

Sorry old man rant over

.....and no I’m not an 1150 owner (anymore).

Well my 2017 will be like Triggers Broom then.... because right now, I'm not selling it. I'm very curious how long I can make it last outside of warranty

Let’s be honest these new bikes are not built to last 50-100 thousand miles. (Yes with a lot of care they will)

They are treated as practically disposable. They just need to last as long as the warranty lasts and that means a percentage will fail early.
After three years their price is in the toilet and it’s not just because of the finance deals. Unless they are really looked after they get seriously ratty at 5 or 6 years old.
Back with the 1100 & 1150s nobody would be swapping bikes every two years so they were built to last longer.
Now BMW has a great system turning owners onto a new bike every 2-3 years.

Even the cars, the tolerances are so fine in the engine and gearbox that there is no way they will do a 100,000 miles without some major work.

But that’s everything now, it’s not repaired it’s replaced. Your tv breaks, there aren’t many tv repair guys anymore - remember them?, you replace it.

Sorry old man rant over

.....and no I’m not an 1150 owner (anymore).

But what gets me is the price goes up to fund this. We are paying for the warranty costs etc. Me personally, I dont want a consumable bike. I want one that lasts. I hate this throw away society. And it would not be too bad if they offered it at a reasonable price. I sure a boxer engine can be made for £100 in volume.. so it goes wrong.. okay if its say £250 to replace. But what is the cost of a new engine? They take the P all the way round and for some reason we keep on buying. I'm for one seriously thinking of a 1100 to do up as a keeper. Proper solid bike and non of this cheap, it has to do 20k sh*t....

As long as folks keep buying them......

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

You know the answer - don't buy them :)

My 2014 when I sold it, had over 20k on the clock, I was the third owner, bought the bike and put that mileage on in 3 years. Had the flap issue, but nothing else went wrong with it, so if I had kept it, I would have expected it to last many years. I now have a 1250, so who knows :)

All very depressing to read

It is.

I bought my R1200GS Adventure for £15,800 brand new.

- Invested £ 500 in special BMW tools, OBD Reader and Software so I can now service it myself, including Cam Alignment and valve clearances. The actual servicing consumable costs ongoing are about £50 for each service.

- Invested £ 2000 in Ohlins suspension, so I can now service these items every 30,000 miles. Top of the line suspension and now independent of electronic sensors.

- Invested £ 800 in GS Alloy Wheelset, so I can easily swap between spoked wheels and alloys. Alloys are low risk, easy to clean, and I can now buy tyres independently and get them fitted cheaply at my leisure.

Invested £ 200 in toolset and sissor jack for rear shaft drive servicing, so now I can monitor and keep the final drive maintained.

- Rejected extended BMW Waranty costs, as that's a scam. Parts on eBay are readily available if needed, and very cheap.

So, I'm £ 3,500 invested and now setup for some time... bike has done 17,000 miles, no rust, runs like a charm. I've broken away from BMW Waranty treadmill, and expect to keep on rolling for some time.

I am very curious to how long I can keep this bike in good shape..... on my own.

.... I say on my own, what I actually mean is with the support of the genius's on here to assist when I'm scratching my head :thumbs2

The only other thing I may swap out are the headers and decat it. So once my cat starts to fail, I'll upgrade the exhaust at that point.

Definitely the way forward, thats what i will be doing once warranty is out. Indeed it gets its first service next week thereafter it will be me that does it, just like i did with my GSA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or.... you can feed the monster double that amount every 2 years for a brand new Beta bike, and not do any of your own servicing or maintenance.

Which is fair enough if that's more enjoyable to you.

The only thing I would say is that my ownership costs will be getting less expensive, and your ownership costs are getting more expensive. But it's still basically the same bike.

It is.

I bought my R1200GS Adventure for £15,800 brand new.

- Invested £ 500 in special BMW tools, OBD Reader and Software so I can now service it myself, including Cam Alignment and valve clearances. The actual servicing consumable costs ongoing are about £50 for each service.

- Invested £ 2000 in Ohlins suspension, so I can now service these items every 30,000 miles. Top of the line suspension and now independent of electronic sensors.

- Invested £ 800 in GS Alloy Wheelset, so I can easily swap between spoked wheels and alloys. Alloys are low risk, easy to clean, and I can now buy tyres independently and get them fitted cheaply at my leisure.

Invested £ 200 in toolset and sissor jack for rear shaft drive servicing, so now I can monitor and keep the final drive maintained.

- Rejected extended BMW Waranty costs, as that's a scam. Parts on eBay are readily available if needed, and very cheap.

So, I'm £ 3,500 invested and now setup for some time... bike has done 17,000 miles, no rust, runs like a charm. I've broken away from BMW Waranty treadmill, and expect to keep on rolling for some time.

I am very curious to how long I can keep this bike in good shape..... on my own.
The only other thing I may swap out are the headers and decat it. So once my cat starts to fail, I'll upgrade the exhaust at that point.
Saving money all the way

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom