Rattling engine and seizing exhaust flap.

Saving money all the way

Haha, that's what I tell my wife.

Yes I agree it's more expense if you cover all angles, I don't need an extra wheelset I could easily sell my spoked wheels and get my money back. I could easily sell my working ESA suspension and get half my money back. My BMW tools are paid for within two services, so it's not as bad as you think.

The alternative is....

£15,800 on the bike.

BMW Service costs
- 1st Service free of charge
- 6000 Service £125
- 12000 Service £250
- 18000 Service £125

- Suspension failure at 14000 miles, replaced under Warranty.
- Shaft Drive and Final Drive rusty, replaced under Warranty.

So you're £500 invested.... now what?

Your options....

a) You extend your warranty for 2 years and fingers crossed on an ageing bike? Most likely with duff suspension at this point. Another £700? Plus Servicing costs £ 500.... and any other weird and wacky problems.

b) You spend £ 7000 on a new bike, plus any increase on insurance premium and new farkles needed.

So keeping the bike inside BMW until 4 years old will still cost you at least £ 1,700 relying on Warranty to get you through.... and you still don't have BMW tools, or a spare wheelset, or Ohlins bling to play with.

I also shop around to buy consumables at the best price and fit them myself.

You'll be paying RRP and BMW Labour Charges along the way if you give the bike to them.

Oh, and I can still sell all my tools when I'm done and get at least half my money back.... :D

Hey, not knocking it and it must be a great feeling not to be reliant on main dealers and don't we all buy stuff as spares and squirrel it away from the mrs!

My way is 1k on an old Honda and a set of carb balancers but it's a good job we're all different

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Hey, not knocking it and it must be a great feeling not to be reliant on main dealers and don't we all buy stuff as spares and squirrel it away from the mrs!

My way is 1k on an old Honda and a set of carb balancers but it's a good job we're all different

:D ...... the other saving of course, is interest payments on PCP / finance.

I don't have that expense either, I bet that adds up when changing bike regularly using finance :thumb

:D ...... the other saving of course, is interest payments on PCP / finance.

I don't have that expense either :thumb

Yup, you get about 0.6% on a current account at the bank. So better if you can to pay bike in cash/trade in. Thats what i did effectively earning 5.3% on my money compared to having pcp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, you get about 0.6% on a current account at the bank. So better if you can to pay bike in cash/trade in. Thats what i did effectively earning 5.3% on my money compared to having pcp.

Show me the sums, to get 5.3% return on a depreciating asset?:D

You think by using your own money and not doing a BMW PCP at 5.9%, you're saving/earning 5.3% on the cash you bought the bike with.............:blast

My heading is spinning with all these sums, no wonder I did not go to University, my way is have cash I can buy, have less cash I buy something else, have no cash....start walking......:D

Show me the sums, to get 5.3% return on a depreciating asset?:D

You think by using your own money and not doing a BMW PCP at 5.9%, you're saving/earning 5.3% on the cash you bought the bike with.............:blast

That is what i meant
Cant you see that ?

That is what i meant
Cant you see that ?

I can see that, dunno if you can though :D :beerjug:

Anyway they need paying for somehow, but at the thick end of the high teens and £20k, they aren't worth it (IMHO)

I can see that, dunno if you can though :D :beerjug:

Anyway they need paying for somehow, but at the thick end of the high teens and £20k, they aren't worth it (IMHO)

I took a look at PCP but fuck me it would have cost the better part of 3k in interest. Sod that, the money i used from the bank saved me that 3k so saving me the cost of the first years depreciation well thats the way i look at it anyway.

They are consumables these days. Should be covered in the overheads 😉

Could not agree more. Not just BMW, but all mechanical products nowadays. Always buy the mk2 model or final run model even better. .

The Mk2 is always the best model, the Mk3 is when the bean counters move in and quality gets reduced and the original tooling starts to get worn... i.e. the old bmw favourite, studs pulling out of machined engine blocks.

I took a look at PCP but fuck me it would have cost the better part of 3k in interest. Sod that, the money i used from the bank saved me that 3k so saving me the cost of the first years depreciation well thats the way i look at it anyway.

As said, it's a consumable these days

Enjoy it, as it'll be worth zip in 3-4 years time

Its my last bike so it doesn’t matter what its worth really. It will see me out and if it doesn’t then so be it. I will look after it the best i can so that i can continue to enjoy it for as ling as im able. I dont look on it as an asset its just a bike to be used as and when.

Surely it's only a consumable if you actually consume it.... what I mean by that is buy it, own it, use it until it's totally spent.

But that's not what happens is it.... rent it, use it carefully under contract with limited mileage, as it isn't your bike, then give it back. That's not a consumable.

I disagree.

In 3-4 years time, it'll still be a fully working BMW R1200GS Adventure. Just like it was when bought new. Yes it'll have wear and tear but it'll still be my bike, doing what it was bought for.

In 3-4 years time, somebody else will have handed over their bike then given another £7000 for a new version, then lost another £3500 immediately in tax...

So they're another £10,500 down and still in the same position as me, riding their bike around with their mates :D (plus however much they throw away in Finance interest)

Then at the 4th year point, they'll hand over their bike, give another £7000 for a new version and lose another £3500 immediately in tax..... Now £21000 down :D

Even if my bikes was actually worth £0 .... I'd still be better off :friday

Its my last bike so it doesn’t matter what its worth really. It will see me out and if it doesn’t then so be it. I will look after it the best i can so that i can continue to enjoy it for as ling as im able. I dont look on it as an asset its just a bike to be used as and when.

Exactly my view :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom