Rattling engine and seizing exhaust flap.

Mark Hooton

Cymarcbikeparts
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Mmmmm, anyone got a rattling RH cylinder? My 1250 is in for its 6K and I reported it. Initially the dealer hit me with 'there`s nothing wrong and the valve clearances are ok, Sir, they all do that'.

With the valve clearances being `ok` (which is what it sounded like to me - clearances waaaay out) I then thought that there is something seriously wrong with it and strongly requested a test ride - they concurred and agreed that there was something badly wrong. Parts ordered (I bet there`s a camshaft amongst them) but there`s a -7-12 day back order issue.

Paranoia creeps in now, why the long wait? Is it a common fault and BMW can`t get the replacement camshafts made quickly enough? Has this anything to do with the postponed release of a similar model using the same engine?

I am told, (from rumour control) that the case hardenening is coming off the camshafts, causing the problem? If this is the case (forgive the pun) then should I be concerned about the metal flakes hiding in the oil galleries? Obviously I don`t expect anything other than the corporate response from BMW but some of us might have the same problem?

As for the exhaust flap - I`m not a BMW basher (I buy lots of beemers!) but this is such a disappointment! I had the same problem on my 2014 LC and its still here on my latest 2018 1250! The remedy being a complete replacement of the headers just because of a daft design on the ceramic bearings on the flap! Changed under warranty of course but if out of warranty there`s a bill of over a grand for the said headers (I lubed the ones on my 2014 1200) it just seems madness!

As I said, I always try and be fair, take the middle road and avoid Olympic BMW Slaggings but I must say that I am somewhat saddened by this with a bike only having done 6K.

So, anyone had this engine rattling before?

Could it be a failed Cam Chain Tensioner....

or and misaligned cam chain?

Mmmmm, anyone got a rattling RH cylinder? My 1250 is in for its 6K and I reported it. Initially the dealer hit me with 'there`s nothing wrong and the valve clearances are ok, Sir, they all do that'.

With the valve clearances being `ok` (which is what it sounded like to me - clearances waaaay out) I then thought that there is something seriously wrong with it and strongly requested a test ride - they concurred and agreed that there was something badly wrong. Parts ordered (I bet there`s a camshaft amongst them) but there`s a -7-12 day back order issue.

Paranoia creeps in now, why the long wait? Is it a common fault and BMW can`t get the replacement camshafts made quickly enough? Has this anything to do with the postponed release of a similar model using the same engine?

I am told, (from rumour control) that the case hardenening is coming off the camshafts, causing the problem? If this is the case (forgive the pun) then should I be concerned about the metal flakes hiding in the oil galleries? Obviously I don`t expect anything other than the corporate response from BMW but some of us might have the same problem?

As for the exhaust flap - I`m not a BMW basher (I buy lots of beemers!) but this is such a disappointment! I had the same problem on my 2014 LC and its still here on my latest 2018 1250! The remedy being a complete replacement of the headers just because of a daft design on the ceramic bearings on the flap! Changed under warranty of course but if out of warranty there`s a bill of over a grand for the said headers (I lubed the ones on my 2014 1200) it just seems madness!

As I said, I always try and be fair, take the middle road and avoid Olympic BMW Slaggings but I must say that I am somewhat saddened by this with a bike only having done 6K.

So, anyone had this engine rattling before?

Seems you have a beaver syndrome also Mark although his bike is 2017, and metal shavings would have the little hair I have standing on edge on a new bike, sock it to em Mark...

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/511525-New-bike-bought-)

If it is a case hardening failure, then I'd be expecting a bad batch rather than just a one off.

Your right, personally I'd be going new engine, can't trust it enough not to have other damage to oilways/pump/bearings.

A catastrophic failure at any speed doesn't bare thinking about, especially when engines get replaced for just cosmetic issues.

As for the sloppy valve as my son called it; decat and link pipe.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

hope it gets sorted and quickly Mark .....Im actually holding off in purchasing the 1250, Im waiting for "things" to calm down. I actually thought last night ,Ive not heard any recurring issues for a while and would go the dealers this week to start the ball rolling.....will hold on a bit longer now

Yeah, it’s that worry of what might happen further down the line pal.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only bonus at the moment you got 3 years warranty, however I would not want any camshafts self destructing when riding, either they sort it 100% or declare bike unfit to ride, and you more than a simple camshaft change, unless they have changed camshaft build process lately......:nenau:nenau

hope it gets sorted and quickly Mark .....Im actually holding off in purchasing the 1250, Im waiting for "things" to calm down. I actually thought last night ,Ive not heard any recurring issues for a while and would go the dealers this week to start the ball rolling.....will hold on a bit longer now

Good idea fella

My 1250 went in with tapping/knocking at 700 miles but from the left side.

Clearances all ok, then new shift cam actuator, then new cams. Still no better, so off came the head.
A loose valve stem guide was found and we all were sure that was the cause.
Complete new head fitted, still no better.

In the end a new engine was provisioned and having stripped the old engine, the bottom end had excessive play, both conrods had side to side movement.

My 1250 went in with tapping/knocking at 700 miles but from the left side.

Clearances all ok, then new shift cam actuator, then new cams. Still no better, so off came the head.
A loose valve stem guide was found and we all were sure that was the cause.
Complete new head fitted, still no better.

In the end a new engine was provisioned and having stripped the old engine, the bottom end had excessive play, both conrods had side to side movement.

Thanks that’s interesting, I hope it isn’t that!

I’m sort of with Mark on this not wanting to over bash BMW, we pay top dollar for these and you do get issues, all I can say is that in my 12 years of ownership whatever the problem they have actually sorted it, ok sometimes you feel a bit like the beta test dummy, but they always have put the problems right.

Hope they get it sorted sharpish Mark.

I know it’s a 1200 but my 2016 has had the cams swapped because of poor finish and also the rhs timing gear assembly changed as it was making a constant loud tapping sound

Could be the same problem

Can you buy upgraded cams? Performance cams?

I’m sort of with Mark on this not wanting to over bash BMW, we pay top dollar for these and you do get issues, all I can say is that in my 12 years of ownership whatever the problem they have actually sorted it, ok sometimes you feel a bit like the beta test dummy, but they always have put the problems right.

Hope they get it sorted sharpish Mark.

Yeah so do I - I am willing to give them a chance. I run industrial lasers, all German, and the engineering is great. It’s why I do feel it’s such a shame when issues happen in the first place

I know it’s a 1200 but my 2016 has had the cams swapped because of poor finish and also the rhs timing gear assembly changed as it was making a constant loud tapping sound

Could be the same problem

Ah!

BMW BETA Testing again ?

Been down that road so holding off on a new 1250 for at least another 18 months

They care not. We pay the price we do to fund the rectification of their cheap bits. These things are designed as disposables now, not to last....
If I were you with a new engine and that miles, I'd reject the thing and get your money back... there will be bits everywhere, goodness knows what issues are in store longer term....

Back
Top Bottom