Rattling engine and seizing exhaust flap.

And I do get some stick about BMW reliability but they are a good bunch, it’s a two way thing and, after all, they sometimes have a point!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With all due respect. A few posts ago there where laid claims that using a different viscosity oil improved the way the engine ran. And yet, the engine rattles like a chainsaw, and now this about reliability.

I'm not saying that there is a direct connection between the different oil viscosity and the problems with the engine. But it reminds me of back in times that I used to repair electronics.

A kid brought in a new electronic speed regulator for an toy electric car. The regulator was totally toasted.

He claimed a warranty repair on the following grounds:

Quote: (freely translated)
"When I first got the regulator, I could immediately see that the manual was wrong regarding the hookup.
I therefor consulted a knowledgeable friend of mine that helped me to connect the regulator in the correct way.
To our surprise, when we hooked up the battery the regulator immediately emitted smoke and got very warm, so we had to hurry up and disconnect the battery. Thus, the regulator must be at fault from the factory"

Well it seems ok pal, it`s got the JASO rating that the lads were on about but mine hasn`t a quickshifter (on the 1200GSA).

Going back onto the rattle - check this out, scary as fekk..............

https://youtu.be/Mrz8UTY3nRI

You lot ought to take your apron strings off ;)

Theres sod all wrong with that, its a characteristic :hide..

Its been run on delivery oil way past it's first service and a bit of sludgycarbongloopyshit has blocked the little hole in the hydrualic tensioner, so it wont fill.

give it a special oil service & diagnostickery (boggo oil change and thicker visco ;) and it will be fine

you should have heard mine lol.. sounded just as bad

Just an update - dealer has called Bike in a week early to assess if it may need a new engine (at 6k miles!). Will update when I’ve heard more. It’s now due in on Monday

Just an update - dealer has called Bike in a week early to assess if it may need a new engine (at 6k miles!). Will update when I’ve heard more. It’s now due in on Monday

If dealer says they all do that, do us a favour and stick the nut on him....:D

Jeez, thats not good.... good for you !... but BMW has to sell us something better!!

Yes, sadly there’s too much going off about replaced engines etc etc and maybe my dealer has twigged and maybe, just maybe isn’t going to fob me off with the famous ‘they all do that sir’. My additional hope is that BMW has found what’s wrong (without admitting it of course!) and that the part or engine they replace it with isn’t simply from the same faulty batch!

Yes, sadly there’s too much going off about replaced engines etc etc and maybe my dealer has twigged and maybe, just maybe isn’t going to fob me off with the famous ‘they all do that sir’. My additional hope is that BMW has found what’s wrong (without admitting it of course!) and that the part or engine they replace it with isn’t simply from the same faulty batch!

LOL.. are you living in hope here :) how long have the 1200's had cam issues :D I do hope you are right but i think even betting £10 on it would be just too much of a risk ... :)

It beggars belief doesn’t it? Only yesterday I wished I hadn’t had sold my twin cam.......

Mmmm well if I didn’t need the latest model to make stuff for then I suspect I wouldn’t buy any new ones until all the problems had been ironed out, opting for good bargains with outgoing models! I’ve just topped 26k on my 1200GSA LC and I’m pleased I didn’t get rid of that )and it’s not as beautiful as my previous twin cam!

Back
Top Bottom