Chuggers!

Something related that I consider to be questionable is......

TV ad. Just €4 will make such a difference to......
Please text xxxxx to donate just €4.
(small print on bottom of screen.... your text won't result in a donation. Somebody will call you to guilt you into a larger or a monthly donation, you mug) They word it slightly differently, though. ;)

Chuggers: A licence to harass
In a Word . . . Chugger
Sat, Jul 27, 2019, 01:00

Patsy McGarry

Was at the supermarket checkout the other day. A charming young lady was collecting for some worthy local charity or other, there being only that kind.

Was strolling along oblivious near where I live the other day. A charming young man was collecting for a very worthy international development agency or other, there being only that kind.

Was walking up Dublin’s Grafton Street the other day, head low with many apologies, when a charming young lady peered from below to ask whether I would like to support her very worthy international charity or other, there being only that kind.

Have been scrolling down Facebook recently only to be accosted with ever more frequency by sundry appeals for money for this, that, and the other worthy cause, there being only that kind.

And all those earnest birthday appeals. You know the sort.

“My third cousin four times removed has a significant birthday coming up and I am raising (insert significant euro amount here) for protection of the lesser spotted sunny sloth now on the verge of extinction in inner Mongolia. Please give generously.”

It’s incessant. Impossible. Relentless. Inclement (without mercy).

They play on guilt with that don’t-be-such-a mean-bastard look.

Such beseeching, begging, imploring. All for others. Hah!

I ignore them. Every single one. No matter how young, charming, or worthy the cause, because I know and you know there is method at work here.

Chuggers, they call them, those on the streets waving their charms in your direction. They get commission. They are paid to solicit, and soliciting is what they do. Don’t be fooled.

It is extraordinary how they are allowed to continue this; that they are provided with a licence to harass, no matter how charmingly, and not least when most of the charities they solicit for are already well-funded from our taxes.

As for those overt virtue signallers raising “birthday present funds” on Facebook? Please, if you are feeling so generous, dig deep into your own pocket and give said hundreds of euro to the favoured charity and then let that third cousin four times removed know what you have done in their honour.

Better still, just buy them a present to mark the occasion.

We don’t have to know about it. Seriously!

Chugger, a combination of ‘charity’ and ‘mugger’ (one who attacks with intent to rob!)

inaword@irishtimes.com

A poorly written piece about paid charity collectors though the double spacing would probably meet new Government guidelines. Im sure they will have a follow up piece about the poor quality of the free pens some insurance companies give away on application.

Charitys that have government funding should loose that status. Some employees of these “charities” are better payed and have more perks than the private sector. JJH

Charitys that have government funding should loose that status. Some employees of these “charities” are better payed and have more perks than the private sector. JJH

Utter bollocks!

I worked for government funded charities for most of my working life. The government funds and monitors but does none of the work. Funding covers premises, staff, both paid and voluntary (volunteers get expenses, training and supervision, which all costs). Some agencies also appeal for donations or are given them anyway. Contracts are usually short term because governments and priorities change, leading to job insecurity and frequent staff changes.

The work I did was as an addictions counsellor. If we weren't a charity we couldn't accept private donations. Nor could we offer a free service without the funding. Now funding cuts are closing many of these organisations. As a result, people are dying.

After 30 years experience, many as a senior practitioner, with qualifications including a diploma in counselling from UEA and having responsibility for providing GPs with training for their substance misuse qualifications, I never earned more than £30k per year. Our team of 30 was based in a room in which we didn't all have a chair on the infrequent occasions we were all present, we had 1 toilet, a kettle and a microwave.We ate lunch at our desks on the days we were office based.

Our organisation employed about 100 people and the same number of volunteers. We saw over 4,000 clients per year. We were in the top 10% of charities by size and funding.

You are talking out of your arse, JJH

Utter bollocks!

I worked for government funded charities for most of my working life. The government funds and monitors but does none of the work. Funding covers premises, staff, both paid and voluntary (volunteers get expenses, training and supervision, which all costs). Some agencies also appeal for donations or are given them anyway. Contracts are usually short term because governments and priorities change, leading to job insecurity and frequent staff changes.

The work I did was as an addictions counsellor. If we weren't a charity we couldn't accept private donations. Nor could we offer a free service without the funding. Now funding cuts are closing many of these organisations. As a result, people are dying.

After 30 years experience, many as a senior practitioner, with qualifications including a diploma in counselling from UEA and having responsibility for providing GPs with training for their substance misuse qualifications, I never earned more than £30k per year. Our team of 30 was based in a room in which we didn't all have a chair on the infrequent occasions we were all present, we had 1 toilet, a kettle and a microwave.We ate lunch at our desks on the days we were office based.

Our organisation employed about 100 people and the same number of volunteers. We saw over 4,000 clients per year. We were in the top 10% of charities by size and funding.

Absolutely not utter bollocks. I’m speaking from experience. When I worked as a dogsbody in a main dealership I used to collect company cars from a well known charity for servicing. I volunteered at a well known charity and received no financial reward for my work which I enjoyed very much. I did not want anything in return for my work and time. If I was offered anything I would have been disgusted. It seems to me that a very small percentage of donated money goes to the end user. While I don’t wish to knock your work I’m not taking issue with people like yourself. I’m talking about people in well over 100k who describe themselves as “doing charity work”. It’s an ongoing scandal here in Ireland. Some on over 200k. I’ve worked a little with a homeless charity. It’s sometimes said not to give directly to street beggars as the same money can be put to better use bu the charitys themselves. I did subscribe to that train of thought. I’ve seen figures that show 5-10% of donations actually goes to the end user after expenses are taken out. I now give directly. I have brought beggars into Macdonalds and bought a meal for them. I’m not in a position to do the soup run any more as I’d be clashing with the day job. Jjh

Utter bollocks!

I can assure you I am not talking out of my arse. I’m talking from experience. Are you talking out of the side of your mouth? JJH

And bye the way a large percentage of donations go towards pensions for some retired full time and part time employees of certain charities JJH

Little or none of the money at the charity I worked for went directly to the clients. The staff were the resource and that resource needed paying. Pensions also needed paying. The law here says all staff need to be in a pension scheme to which the employer pays a contribution. There may well be one or two people at the top end of charities that are on megabucks but the vast majority are low paid or volunteers. To suggest that charities that receive government funding should lose charitable status is the bit I strongly disagree with

Sorry. I don’t mean that the government funding should be taken away. Just when do they not still be a charity? With government funding are they not another government department? I’ll give you an example. We needed speech and language help for one of our children. This was all done trough proper channels with the local health authority. We were then referred to a charity to receive the speech therapy. This was when the problems started. We would get a bit of help and then half way through it would stop. Excuse after excuse but no badly needed therapy. When I complained I was told that I was receiving charity and I should be grateful. I hit the roof. The health board is a statutory body with an obligation to give my family the necessary care and had palmed me and my child off to a charity which was getting funding and not providing the service. Let’s just say my daughter got the professional care she needed not from the charity but it took a bit of persuasion. She has a degree now and is doing a masters. I’m very proud of her. JJH

Sorry. I don’t mean that the government funding should be taken away. Just when do they not still be a charity? With government funding are they not another government department? I’ll give you an example. We needed speech and language help for one of our children. This was all done trough proper channels with the local health authority. We were then referred to a charity to receive the speech therapy. This was when the problems started. We would get a bit of help and then half way through it would stop. Excuse after excuse but no badly needed therapy. When I complained I was told that I was receiving charity and I should be grateful. I hit the roof. The health board is a statutory body with an obligation to give my family the necessary care and had palmed me and my child off to a charity which was getting funding and not providing the service. Let’s just say my daughter got the professional care she needed not from the charity but it took a bit of persuasion. She has a degree now and is doing a masters. I’m very proud of her. JJH

The treatment and attitude your daughter received is shocking and I'm glad she received the help she needed. You're right to be proud of her. But if the government adequately funded treatment providers she would have received better treatment sooner. Being a non statutory agency means short term funding, at the whim of the existing government, leading to fewer long term, experienced staff. For example, Blair's government funded drug treatment; when Cameron's lot came in, they massively cut funding almost overnight and Ian Duncan Smith was solely responsible for that policy. Treatment centres shut and are still shutting as a result. This is counter balanced by having freedom that being part of a statutory agency such as the NHS doesn't have. Swings and roundabouts.

You do realise.....

:rolleyes: .... no, i wont.
I'm in a bad mood anyway - it wouldn't be fair. I'll say nothing. "If you cant say something nice .... " etc. etc. shut up Og, move along nothing to see here.

Sweet Divine Jeeez:blast

*gone*

I have helped out at many charity organisations both being paid and unpaid. The waste in these places is astronomical, be it in time, resources or the clients.
Many of the homeless/drug dependent/mental health are just wasting money. Don't get me wrong I have seen some success, but those are the people who just need a bunk up, homeless because of family break down, got themselves clean, or went on programs to sort their heads out to become functioning members of society, but there is a large section that no matter how much you throw at them it's wasted. Everyone knows that, but no one is prepared to give up on them and that is what is needed. Actively give up on them and they may decide to tow the line. Like Pavlov's dogs, you can train people to act in a certain way, if the carrot doesn't work then the stick is the only option, but we never use the stick just more and more carrots. I remember the naughty kids at school going out on trips, getting treats just because they hadn't kicked off that day. Me being a goody two shoes got bugger all. Some of these charity cases have more disposable income each month than I do, mind you they need it so that they can occupy their days where I occupy mine by working.

While I agree with some of what you are saying I’ve a question. Who sits in the judgement seat? Who decides which person gets help and which person doesn’t? Who decides what person has a mental illness? I was a helper on a soup run. Mostly same faces. Everyone has a background. You know sometimes life kicks you and then when your down it just keeps on kicking. Some (mostly) of us get past it get our life’s together and prosper. Others are so scarred by life’s problems that they just can’t get past it. And your right it is a pain helping people out only to see them fail again and again. And it’s wonderful to see the ones that once given the help they need thriving and getting on with their life’s and contributing to society. I think your “help” model is a bit harsh. JJH

Some of them actually like their life style and the attention that they get. Sounds odd, but very true. Some are just knobs, get given everything and then throw it all away because they aren't getting the attention. Many have just hit hard times, they work during the day and use hostels or sleep rough at night because they can't get into the rental market. Some have fallen in to the drug scene and then got themselves sorted, but some, as I say, love the free lifestyle all have mobile phones, they can get daily showers, three meals a day and a roof over their head at night even if it is a sleeping bag in a church hall. This is one of them that I had to deal with every day.
https://www.unilad.co.uk/featured/naked-guy-attacks-bus-and-jumps-on-car-in-morning-rush-hour/ He and his girlfriend had everything given to them on a plate.

Some are just knobs, get given everything and then throw it all away

Literally!
I drop surplus sandwiches to the Simon community homeless shelter.
One day, a guy sitting opposite asked for one.
When I came out, my friend said "Look where your sandwich is now". As soon as I'd turned around, he'd thrown it away.
Why ask for it if he didn't want it. :nenau

However, on the other hand, a guy whose cup I was in the habit of dropping a few bob into announced to me a few weeks ago that he was starting a new job the following day. :thumb2
I appreciated that he appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom