Suit advice .

thebuyer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
After over 10 years of making do ... I’ve decided to spend some money on a decent jacket and trousers, mainly beacause I want to stay dry.

I’ve been making do with a Dainese which hasn’t been the best for keeping the rain out.

I ride mostly in this country, all year round.. but have been all over Europe and further in the Dainese... and it’s great until it rains.

I’ve looked at Rukka but bloody hell its heavy ... and I’ve been told to try Klim, but I know nothing about it.

My wife rides in a BMW street guard suit ( she has had 2 of them over 10 years ) and she thinks they are fantastic... plus I get a deal on BMW clothing. But if I change bike manufacturer I’m into a new suit again.

I’m not a fashion queen and don’t want bright trendy colours... black or grey is just fine.

Budget! Well I know I’m going to have to spend, and as I keep them many years... budget isn’t the issue .... quality, durability are the issue.

Any advice would be appreciated, and I’m sure it’s been discussed before ... but an up to date view would be good.

Last question ... where to buy from ... I want to try stuff on ... J&S locally are crap .. so I’m prepared to travel to get some knowledgeable advice.

Assuking you dont want to go leather then Either Rukka Nivala jkt and trs for me, or Stadler kit.

Both available from Motolegends to ty on i believe but I would ring them to check before heading off.

Rukka is 6 year warranty, Stadler is 10years, both are heavy kit but that is for a reason and will become obvious as the years clock on and the kit is still functioning and the warranty is still valid, for longterm durability they would be my choices without question.

Held & Halvarssons do some nice gear as well at a lower price but what you gain with one hand you lose with another.

I avoided Rukka for years untill my Klim stuff mysteriously shrank over the winter

I bit the bullet and went for the Rukka Nivala and did so for the following reasons

It wasn't as heavy as the Klim

It isn't as heavy as the other Rukka stuff and has elasticity that the other Rukka stuff does not have so movement is not restricted getting on and off the bike etc

It fits like a good set of leathers do

Rukka have a loan service should it leak and need warranty work

Yes it was bloody expensive and i did go to J& S with the intention of buying the Navigator suit which was on a good offer. I tried it and hated it in comparrison to the Nivala

Go try and see

Whatever...laminated Goretex gets you two warranties, one from the manufacturer and one from Goretex.

Don’t forget Dane clothing, they don’t go big on advertising but it’s quality gear. Finding a stockist near enough to visit might be an issue.

Tom

As you are prepared to travel to get knowledgeable advice check out the Adventure Bike Shop website, give them a ring, and then go and see them.
The shop does Klim, Rev-It!, AlpineStar, and a couple of other more budget brands. Good, real world advice from real bikers.
Plus the coffee is always on and it’s free.
As a bonus they are in a great part of East Anglia, so why not make a weekend of the visit...

Light colours are better -

Black absorbs heat and you and up drowning ;)

Light colours reflect heat

Badges - say what, what are you a BMW poster boy :barf

Do you get a special letter every year congratulating you for being well dressed with matching clothng and underwear ;)

I wear what's suitable i can afford and what fits - i couldnt give a toss if it's chav city or motocycle city as long as it does the job for what its intended :)

Go and look at RST clothing, pricing is reasonable and they do some good stuff, although there sizing is somewhat unconventional

Rukka or KLIM are, IMHO, your best bet for long service.

Rukka offer 6 years warranty and KLIM give a lifetime guarantee - which speaks of confidence in their products from both brands.

Halvarssons look good at a lower price point.

Others have mentioned Motolegends and I would also say they are hugely helpful and have good stock (but of higher end stuff).
They don't stock the budget ranges so, if you go there, you'll be looking at quality and the price tags that goes with that.

Or, if the size is right, you could grab a bit of a bargain HERE ;)

I have often wondered why it is that many desert dwellers wear black garments as Like you i believe that what you say is correct

Rukka or KLIM are, IMHO, your best bet for long service.

Rukka offer 6 years warranty and KLIM give a lifetime guarantee - which speaks of confidence in their products from both brands.

Halvarssons look good at a lower price point.

Others have mentioned Motolegends and I would also say they are hugely helpful and have good stock (but of higher end stuff).
They don't stock the budget ranges so, if you go there, you'll be looking at quality and the price tags that goes with that.

Or, if the size is right, you could grab a bit of a bargain HERE ;)

I wouldnt get carried away with the Klim lifetime warranty as it is them who decide what the lifetime is and if they determine that at 5 hard years of service is its lifetime then they wont pay up or mend !

I had to go through a lot of hoops sending photos of my Badlands trousers that were 5 years old and leaked to prove that they were not simply worn out and i think that if those particular trousers were not well known to fail where they did then it would have been tough luck for me

As you are prepared to travel to get knowledgeable advice check out the Adventure Bike Shop website, give them a ring, and then go and see them.
The shop does Klim, Rev-It!, AlpineStar, and a couple of other more budget brands. Good, real world advice from real bikers.
Plus the coffee is always on and it’s free.
As a bonus they are in a great part of East Anglia, so why not make a weekend of the visit...

Try it on there an buy somewhere else, they are always the MOST expensive seller of whatever it is you want to buy, dont get me wrong nice people but taking the piss with pricing especially as they have a cheap unit on an industrial estate in the middle of nowhere.

On the waterproof front, if you are shelling out once then go for a goretex pro shell, the jacket does not get waterlogged, most of the pro shell stuff has a lifetime warrenty, its then just down to what you like the look of the most.
Me I went for klim, and 10 years down the line its still 100% waterproof.

Nope, other way round. ;)

Light colours reflect the heat back into the body, black doesn’t. :rob

And, to the OP. Rukka, every time. :thumb

I have the Halvarsson’s Walkyr jacket and matching Wish pants. They are laminated and have been totally waterproof. As they are only 2 layer laminate and not 3 layer, they are more supple. The sizing is a bit weird, so deff need to try on. Colwyn Bay Motorcycle had them in stock last time I was there.

BMW Tourshell
Not a fashion icon but
very comfy, totally waterproof and the jacket vents work well in the summer

Mines all black with only a v small BMW badge on an arm - very discreet.
the zip out jacket thermal liner even makes a good top layer for eveing wear on your bke trip
best bit, I think they are a bargain cost wise for what they are.

Had Rukka kit for years , next jacket will either be STADLER or more likely a DANE Nimbus or Sealand

Back
Top Bottom