Thread: Hotel in Cherbourg with parking for bike

It's good to be back .. Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Hotel in Cherbourg with parking for bike

Can anyone suggest or recommend somewhere to stay in Cherbourg with parking for the bike.

My wife and I will be returning from a couple of weeks touring NW France and we're booked on the 08.45 Cherbourg - Poole ferry.

Thanks in advance 👍
    Retired, at last, time to see the World!

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Bob, try this place, it is just a few miles outside of Cherbourg just off the N13. Brilliant place that was Gestapo HQ in the war so loads of history and they do dinner as well. Run by Mark and Fiona who are great - I've stayed here loads of times.

https://www.chateaulemontepinguet.com/
    2010 BMW R1200GSA
    2017 Kawasaki Z1000SX Touring
    2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250S
    1989 Jaguar XJS 5.3 Convertible

Thanks Mike, I've sent them a message asking for availability.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Snooty View Post
    Bob, try this place, it is just a few miles outside of Cherbourg just off the N13. Brilliant place that was Gestapo HQ in the war so loads of history and they do dinner as well. Run by Mark and Fiona who are great - I've stayed here loads of times.

https://www.chateaulemontepinguet.com/
    Yes, stayed here a few times too. I call it Monty Penguin as it has a certain character - it cost Mark a lot in complimentary wine on the evening the calor gas ran out during dinner service.
    This space deliberately left blank as the author writes too much pretentious bollocks as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Jeffries View Post
    Thanks Mike, I've sent them a message asking for availability.
    Nice one, tell them Mike Harbon referred them and I look forward to seeing them in September when I am there for a long weekend doing a battlefield tour.
    2010 BMW R1200GSA
    2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250S

I did say you had recommended them Mike 👍

Unfortunately they have no availability for the single night we need but sent you their best wishes.

So we're still looking for recommendations / suggestions.

I did say you had recommended them Mike ��

Unfortunately they have no availability for the single night we need but sent you their best wishes.

So we're still looking for recommendations / suggestions.
    That's a shame mate, why not try Valognes which is the nearest town just a few miles south.
    2010 BMW R1200GSA
    2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250S

Thanks Mike, I'll take a look - plenty of hotels but finding one with reasonably secure parking is more of a problem.

Fairly sure the Mercure in Cherbourg old port area has secure parking.

Thanks Simon, had another suggestion that Hotel du Louvre has secure garage parking so have booked there.

Thanks Simon, had another suggestion that Hotel du Louvre has secure garage parking so have booked there.
    you can see the garage on Streetview but not the classiest part of town. Choice of several kebab shops on the doorstep.

For an overnight, near a port, I tend to look for an Ibis Budget as they usually have safe parking and often in the centre of town - Cherbourg one has safe parking but out of town on a retail park, so would look elsewhere in this case.
    This space deliberately left blank as the author writes too much pretentious bollocks as it is.

IF not in a hurry to the port;
    we've stayed in Avranche and also Granville a few times and enjoyed the towns. Cherbourg once and didn't.
    Bon Route!
    appears bright from a distance / dim up close

Quote Originally Posted by wessie View Post
    you can see the garage on Streetview but not the classiest part of town. Choice of several kebab shops on the doorstep.

For an overnight, near a port, I tend to look for an Ibis Budget as they usually have safe parking and often in the centre of town - Cherbourg one has safe parking but out of town on a retail park, so would look elsewhere in this case.
    I agree Wessie, I try and avoid staying in port towns as they do attract the more undesirable elements, I have often stayed at Ypres on my last night preferring the 60 mile run in to Calais than the convenience of staying somewhere closer. Added to that Ypres is such a lovely place to stay.
    2010 BMW R1200GSA
    2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250S

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Snooty View Post
    I agree Wessie, I try and avoid staying in port towns as they do attract the more undesirable elements, I have often stayed at Ypres on my last night preferring the 60 mile run in to Calais than the convenience of staying somewhere closer. Added to that Ypres is such a lovely place to stay.
    I've used Bruges, St Omer, St Quentin, Arras - all preferable to Calais or Coquelles

Last Of The V8 Interceptors Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Hotel Patton in Avranches has a courtyard off the square. Our room overlooked it - bikes in full view from our window, but well off the main street.

150km south of Cherbourg, so perhaps not idealing for such an early ferry time.

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

Agree with everyone about the port towns and normally stay away - Ypres is a beautiful place to stay. But with SWMBO and an early ferry it's just easier to stay close for the night this time. I'll note all the suggestions for next time👍