When a map update is loaded to an MSD card for the 1st time; how does Nav V know?

gixerjohn

Reaction score
Hi, Sorry if the has been asked before, I did search but could not find it.

During a recent map update I was told it would no longer fit and so needed a MSD card. I have purchased one and installed it; my questions are:

1) As the old map still resides on the Nav V, how does it know which map to use; the old one on the V or the new one on the MSD card?

2) When I upload routes from Basecamp to the Nav, should I load them to the Nav, the MSD card or both?

Many thanks for any assistance and your patience.

John

1) Garmin express will overwrite the map on the device with one which spans across both the device and the SD card. Theres stil, logically, only "1 map" for the device to see and use.

2) - it makes little odds - the device won't be totally "full" after the upgrade and basecamp will send it to one or the other - when you turn your device on it will register the new routes and ask if you wish to import them into the trip planner,

in use, it doesn't make much odds if you have an SD card or not - it works (as it should) as a simple extension of the device.

You can put music on the SD card too by the way, this is the one benefit as i don't believe the media player will play music stored directly on the device.

1) Garmin express will overwrite the map on the device with one which spans across both the device and the SD card. Theres stil, logically, only "1 map" for the device to see and use.

2) - it makes little odds - the device won't be totally "full" after the upgrade and basecamp will send it to one or the other - when you turn your device on it will register the new routes and ask if you wish to import them into the trip planner,

in use, it doesn't make much odds if you have an SD card or not - it works (as it should) as a simple extension of the device.

You can put music on the SD card too by the way, this is the one benefit as i don't believe the media player will play music stored directly on the device.

+1 on above and maximum 64gb card, and do get a good quality one.

When you load the new map, go into the system screen and then into map properties or whatever it’s called. Just check that the device has automatically selected (ticked) the new maps. That’s it job done.

You can send the route to the device or to the SD card, it makes no difference.

Thanks for the very quick response, that makes sense, I could not understand why the map on the MSD card was much smaller than the one on the Nav V itself.

When you load the new map, go into the system screen and then into map properties or whatever it’s called. Just check that the device has automatically selected (ticked) the new maps. That’s it job done.

You can send the route to the device or to the SD card, it makes no difference.

Again, many thanks for the extremely fast response. A big help.

Back
Top Bottom