UCO Candle

Looks a neat "green" idea but why go for a candle when an LED will give you much better light?
Plus the candle is going to have to be kept upright when lit.

Heres a good video explaining where the wax goes near the end [17:00] ,how to boil the residue out and the 8-9 hour life of the candle.
I also like his shot glass solution [06:50]

I've got one. I've only used it a few times TBH - mostly because when I've gone to get it out in hot weather, it's melted & is a bugger to open/light/operate.

The light is pretty dim.

I'm always very wary about having such a hot thing hanging up in the tent - easy to headbutt by mistake!

It tends to stay in the garage now & I either use an LED headtorch or a hanging LED light now....

D

Ask Alaska Granny and Alfredo Moser, how to do it without setting yourself on fire and spunking 20 notes on a candle...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pMpYKI9YA3Y" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I've had one for years and really like it. Yes, a torch is brighter but a candle is pretty special and I reckon it warms the tent up.. without setting fire to it..

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

they do citronella candles for it
found it a faf though and the wax got all over the glass
so nice idea but better solutions to be had with batteries for my pennies worth

I've been using one for a while.
I love it, it gives a very homely glow, but still good enough to see by.
When I hammock with my boy I leave one on all night in case he wakes as it just gives a little light without being too obtrusive, and the 9 hour duration ensures it lasts all night.

Regards

Just bought one this week from Amazon, along with a 3 pack of citronella candles..Heading down to Dorset today for 4 nights camping with the wife and dogs so we'll see how they go..

He Must have been eaten by those Dorset Bears.

I've got one, used it with citronella candles in the woods. I've also used it both inside and outside tent with no issues.
They are a candle so dont produce massive amounts of light. As a bit of a glow or 'night light' they are good. I use mine when camoing with my daughter for exactly that ourpose. The additional reflector focusses the light marginally more but is pretty crap, the optional neoprene sleeve is worth having if going to use one.
My daughter probably uses it more than me now in her den.
If its set up properly and kept relatively still then it doesnt spatter too much wax about. If its swinging merrily on its chain its more of an issue.
When I want a decent amount of light I use a primus Micron.

Reactions: bod
He Must have been eaten by those Dorset Bears.

I've got one, used it with citronella candles in the woods. I've also used it both inside and outside tent with no issues.
They are a candle so dont produce massive amounts of light. As a bit of a glow or 'night light' they are good. I use mine when camoing with my daughter for exactly that ourpose. The additional reflector focusses the light marginally more but is pretty crap, the optional neoprene sleeve is worth having if going to use one.
My daughter probably uses it more than me now in her den.
If its set up properly and kept relatively still then it doesnt spatter too much wax about. If its swinging merrily on its chain its more of an issue.
When I want a decent amount of light I use a primus Micron.

I have an UCO candle which I bought with citronella candles to keep the bugs at bay sitting in the porch of my tent.
They do seem to work, but I found the citronella also had an effect on me, and had me sneezing like crazy.
No longer use it since the Hilleberg Nammatj 3 GT goes to the ground, and has a full mesh roll up door which keeps the bastards out.
Also have a Primus Micron that I used for many years until I got the Primus Easy Light about 10 years ago.
I did smash a globe in the Lake District a few years back, but packed away in it's foam lined plastic case, it has never come to any harm.
Lights with a single click, lovely warmth and light, and runs on those nearly empty cannisters once the Jetboil performance drops off.
My go to (little light) for when the Coleman North Star is just too much.

Back
Top Bottom