Side Stand Switch Delete

Warlord

Do Not Resuscitate
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I decided to delete the side stand switch on the Africa Twin DCT.

The main issue is a really annoying "settings reset" default on these DCT bikes every time you turn the engine off.

So when off-roading, you'll go through the following:-

a) Turn Off Traction Control
b) Turn Off ABS
c) Turn On Gravel Mode
d) Turn On Manual Drive mode

Then, whenever you stop the engine using ignition or kill-switch, everything resets back to default

D) Default Traction Control setting Maximum
D) Default ABS On
D) Default Gravel Mode Off
D) Default Manual Mode Off

So you have to go through the whole procedure again. PITA :blast

Now there is a caveat here, that if you put your side stand down it'll kill the engine but your settings stay in place.... But then you're constantly restarting the bike over and over.... especially going through field gates repeatedly.

Which means the best solution is to delete the side stand switch so the engine stays running. So you can come to a stop, get off your bike, get back on your bike and continue. No settings lost, no restarting engine, job done.

I found that the side stand switch only has two wires, so I soldered a link wire between them both and ensured 100% continuity.

So now you can ride off with your side stand down and kill yourself :thumb

The other benefit is that if/when the side stand switch gets SMASHED OFF against a rock... my bike will still work and get me home :bow

Much easier to piss-about sorting this PITA out on my driveway, rather than have to try and figure it all out trailside with a broken bike.

Attachments

• Side Stand Switch.jpg
    Side Stand Switch.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 263
  • Side Stand Switch b.jpg
    Side Stand Switch b.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 271
Why not just fit a Small key operated "switch" up on the dash

So when you go Off Roading you insert the Key and turn to off road mode

When you return to road use switch it off and remove Key???

Sidestand Switch then does what it is supposed to do when it is supposed to do it !!! :rob

So when you go Off Roading you insert the Key and turn to off road mode

When you return to road use switch it off and remove Key???

Sidestand Switch then does what it is supposed to do when it is supposed to do it !!! :rob

I did actually think of doing that, but this bike is only used off-road.... and I don't want to get into yet another switch setting to mess with.

The MOT Guy said a non-working side stand switch didn't bother him.

So no reason just to wire it up completely.

Hmmm, I might revisit this idea in the near future but with a standard switch, as it would be particularly useful for stopping the engine, when the bike has crashed or laying on it's side.

Then you can simply get the bike back on it's wheels and restart with most of your settings still in place.

Hmmm.... might do that.

Hmmm, I might revisit this idea in the near future but with a standard switch, as it would be particularly useful for stopping the engine, when the bike has crashed or laying on it's side.

Then you can simply get the bike back on it's wheels and restart with most of your settings still in place.

Hmmm.... might do that.

Without getting involved in preferring to not fall off in the first place, and rather not having a machine that's more of an electronic gadget than a motorbike, you could always fit one of those dirt bike cut-out lanyards instead. :D

Without getting involved in preferring to not fall off in the first place, and rather not having a machine that's more of an electronic gadget than a motorbike, you could always fit one of those dirt bike cut-out lanyards instead. :D

:D ... :D ... up until now I've not been seperated from the bike that far.... that I can't quickly turn it off.

When I get that good/crap I can launch the bike so far out of view I have no idea where it is.... I'll get a cut off lanyard... :cool:

.... but I'm guessing the burning fawna and scorched surrounding grassland might give me a clue to its final landing direction.....

Back
Top Bottom