Iceland 2019. Andy's rehabilitation tour.

Well gents, that was a fantastic report, i’ve Read it through in one go. Some great pictures, bringing back some real memories. Thank you !!!!

Well, I was lucky enough to be in the second group and I’ve waited with interest to see if anyone in our group had a good enough recollection to share our trip report ( direction of travel, altitude, weather and road surface, etc) but I’m going to assume that no one does, it’s all a blur and Tim is the only one that can name places, in fact on reflection, most of us would perhaps deny having been there.

To the uninitiated, Iceland names its villages by collecting the tiles from people loosing at games of scrabble puts them in one big bag, spills them on the floor and asks someone with a head cold to pronounce it, oh and them invents a troll with same name to add legitimacy. I won’t attempt to name where the following took place as I don’t have a cold.

I convinced myself being in the second group was because we were the advanced group.

We were so advanced that a number of our group choose to show off and not ride their bikes in the convention way, instead they choose to balance luggage on the rear fender instead of a rack, camp using a marquee that Baden Powell would have envied, ride with an exhaust that summoned the horseman of the apocalypse and perform frequent impressions of someone falling off. Not for us the namby pamby sitting upright in the conventional riding position.

I would like to share one night though. We were at a camp site that had tents, caravans and lodges. The camp site was away from the lodges and caravans but the site did have hot showers and the restaurant served beer. I was wondering which kidney to sell to buy more beer when toddy left because he’s a big girls blouse and seriously needs a lot of beauty sleep.

Liam and I were discussing weighty worldly matters when the bar staff said they didn’t have any peanuts or crisps so we helped ourselves to bowls of Cheerios laid out for breakfast and hatched a plan. All we needed was a sheep and some Irish music...

The plan was to put the sheep in toddy’s tent and then provide appropriate music. We struggled to catch the sheep but Liam did play his pipes outside Toddy’s tent to serenade him and wish him a comfortable nights sleep.

Having woken most of the camp site but not Toddy. we decide that one of our fellow campers might be able to help. Her name is Dawn and she’s touring Iceland with her daughter, we met her the previous day when she said she was a bit worried about the biker that arrived and surrounded her tent.

Its a simple plan, the idea is that she gets in his tent lies down next to him then wakes him up and say it’s his turn to take the kids to school and he needs to wake up. She’s a unreasonably a little nervous, but agrees to wake him up and tell him he’s snoring too much and keeping people awake..

Wish I could find a way to share the video ..

Still trying to get my head around this..

01500782c625f95f456e707c76204663.jpg

Was on the wall at the hotel. All the roads near me look well trodden and no one owns a farm. Confused.com

Just stumbled on this report - EPIC write and pics and good to see some folk I've not seen for a while.

Brought back some very happy memories - plus some of weather I'd like to scrub from my camping memory - there is nowhere quite like Iceland for contrasts.

Brilliant :thumb

Some Gopro footage. No soundtrack, no fancy camera angles, just edited headcam shots of the conditions and scenery.

Mark

Fantastic report. Thanks for sharing.
I’ll have to return to Iceland at some point to see it this way rather than as a city break!

Back
Top Bottom