Too much choice

EPG_19

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So I am looking to dip my toe into the GS world.

There is so much choice though, old 1150s and new 1250s

My thoughts are a new 1250, ridden one and fell in love with it. The next is one for the winter, old 1150 or 1200. They seem to range in price from 2k to about 8k!!

Any tips? I have used the search function, but there is an overwhelming amount of info.

Welcome, if money is not a factor a R1250GS/A but for the winter maybe an RT, with its better protection and possibly a heated seat.

The new 1250 is by far the slickest smoothest GS yet.

As for an older one if you opt for an early Air cooled then there will be less difference in how they feel to ride. The 1150 is a very accomplished but big old beast. The std 1200GS is quite a lot more compact lighter and easier to manage when off it. Parts for both are still Easily available so just a matter of choice really.

Thanks all, I am definitely going with a new one as a present to myself.

For the winter I am tempted by the RT, or even a Honda VFR (but they have a cult following and over priced for decent ones)

You’d get a belting VFR for £2k...or a tired old GS.

Thanks all, I am definitely going with a new one as a present to myself.

For the winter I am tempted by the RT, or even a Honda VFR (but they have a cult following and over priced for decent ones)

I had VFR’s for years and the 750’s have much better build quality than the later 800’s, but the 800’s are a nicer bike to ride (not the horrible VTEC though).

They are complicated to work on, with valve checks or thermostat replacement requiring removal of the fairing lowers, tank, air box and injectors. You either need to be a competent home mechanic or prepared for some hefty labour costs.

Back
Top Bottom