Saved routes on Basecamp

Thank you. I always export to Dropbox or a memory stick as a .gpx file. I hadn’t considered exporting as a .gdb file. What, for a complete computer illiterate, is the advantage of one over the other, please. Or do I guess right that it’s as simple as a .gdb file can only be read by Garmin software, whilst a .gpx file is a more universal exchangeable file, readable by say a TomTom?

Thank you.

It's basically as you surmise there Mr Wapping, it's only readable by Garmin software, and it does preserve the entire folder structure of your routes, waypoints etc. I just prefer that, and "backup" basecamp by exporting the .GDB File out to OneDrive, which has served me well. My Nav 6 required a factory reset this year when we arrived at Nurnberg, so with the help of Von Stolberg's (of this parish) Linx 1010 tablet, I'd restored the database to the freshly reset Nav 6 in a few minutes ready for the next days adventures.

it's only readable by Garmin software, and it does preserve the entire folder structure of your routes, waypoints etc

I didn't know that.
Thanks!

My Nav 6 required a factory reset this year when we arrived at Nurnberg, so with the help of Von Stolberg's (of this parish) Linx 1010 tablet, I'd restored the database to the freshly reset Nav 6 in a few minutes ready for the next days adventures.

Oooooh that's me ! :D

Linx1010 - frikkin' wonderful devices! video, MP3's, Facetube, email, Hotel Bookings, AND... back-up copies of all your gps data, and the Basecamp prog to work em.
I paid £110 for mine new, with keyboard, but theyre now only out there as pre-owned ones

eg https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Linx-1010-10-1-Inch-2gb-RAM-Intel-Atom-32gb-Windows-10-Tablet-With-Keyboard/233351055451?epid=1686098491&hash=item3654ce885b:g:yTYAAOSw3~FddWGz

Oooooh that's me ! :D

Linx1010 - frikkin' wonderful devices! video, MP3's, Facetube, email, Hotel Bookings, AND... back-up copies of all your gps data, and the Basecamp prog to work em.
I paid £110 for mine new, with keyboard, but theyre now only out there as pre-owned ones

eg https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Linx-1010-10-1-Inch-2gb-RAM-Intel-Atom-32gb-Windows-10-Tablet-With-Keyboard/233351055451?epid=1686098491&hash=item3654ce885b:g:yTYAAOSw3~FddWGz

Me too. Had mine years and it's still going strong. Brilliant kit for taking on your travels :thumb2

Linx 1010 tablet

Interesting.

I had a MacbookAir for a few years. You could chuck it in any motorbike bag without even feeling it and it's been traveling with me for a while (even on weekend jaunts). Same as above. Shit happens: connect the nav to the Mac and solve.
I moved to a 15" MacBook Pro now. I still bring it along on longer trips of course, but it's a bit too much to lug around in the backpack or when traveling without panniers.

The day Garmin releases Basecamp for iPad... I'd buy one of those.

Back
Top Bottom