1150gs sat nav mounting point ?

DR268

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I would like to mount a sat nav/phone on m 1150gs above the clocks

has anyone made or seen a bracket that would allow this

I am considering using the two bolt holes that hold on the clock cowl to secure a home made bracket as seen in the picture below

has anyone else done this or is it a bad idea to use them

Attachments

• Inked1150 sat nav edit.jpg
    Inked1150 sat nav edit.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 960
Migsel does two GPS mounting options for over the clocks on the 1150GS.

Another vote for the migsel mount. Puts the nav perfectly in your eyeline. Quite often didn't use my Autocom with my old 2610 as it was easy to see the screen change when navigating.

I think I've had 15 years out of mine so far :) they where much cheaper when the pound was stronger :) 85 quid vs the time and hassle of trying to make something isn't too bad. If you had access to a lump of alloy plate a cutting machine a router/ moulder a drill and a tap set you could replicate a Migsel mount.

it does look well but you dont get a lot for the £85

Try making something that’s as efficient, neater and easy to fit without having to drill or alter any other parts - then when/if you decide to sell the bike you can remove and sell for almost what you paid for it. Plus you’ll have no unsightly holes you have to repair before selling it.

Try making something that’s as efficient, neater and easy to fit without having to drill or alter any other parts - then when/if you decide to sell the bike you can remove and sell for almost what you paid for it. Plus you’ll have no unsightly holes you have to repair before selling it.

true

but now I know there are mounting points under the cowl as the Cosmo bracket uses, I will have a look in there and see if there is something I can do

I made my own years ago, and it works well - perfect position:thumb

Cheers................Grizzly:beerjug:

Attachments

• IMG_1501.jpg
    IMG_1501.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 823
  • IMG_1500.jpg
    IMG_1500.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 927
  • IMG_1499.jpg
    IMG_1499.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 774
  • IMG_1498.jpg
    IMG_1498.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 766
very tidy

have you braced in behind the clocks or is it just bored and bolted through ?

It's not braced behind - just drilled through and washer and nyloc nut - probably the washer is as big an o/dia as could be fitted, can't remember.

It doesn't shake or vibrate - very solid. It's been on for at least 70k and the same mounting holes were used for a similar bracket for my old Garmin Quest for over 120k before that.

I know you end up with 2 holes in the panel if you remove it - but easily filled with a couple of black plastic expanding pins for fairings etc?

Cheers..................Grizzly

It's not braced behind - just drilled through and washer and nyloc nut - probably the washer is as big an o/dia as could be fitted, can't remember.

It doesn't shake or vibrate - very solid. It's been on for at least 70k and the same mounting holes were used for a similar bracket for my old Garmin Quest for over 120k before that.

I know you end up with 2 holes in the panel if you remove it - but easily filled with a couple of black plastic expanding pins for fairings etc?

Cheers..................Grizzly

it looks well and although I had no intention of drilling the bike, I think that a couple of hole there would be ok and as you say could be easily plugged if the bracket is ever removed. I have had the screen and cowl off and all seems very straight forward. just need to get fabricating.

in the short term I have mounted one of the clamp style brackets to the bars and used an old mobile phone with no sim card.

Tom tom and co pilot both do versions that download to a phone and are free for a short period, I have tried both and they both work very well and a years subscription is only £14

tomtom app lets you select twisty roads just like their bike sat navs.

its a very cheap sat nav and if it falls off the bike its not a big loss and lets me keep my real phone safely tucked away.

Attachments

• sat nav .jpg
    sat nav .jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 483
it looks well and although I had no intention of drilling the bike, I think that a couple of hole there would be ok and as you say could be easily plugged if the bracket is ever removed. I have had the screen and cowl off and all seems very straight forward. just need to get fabricating.

in the short term I have mounted one of the clamp style brackets to the bars and used an old mobile phone with no sim card.

Tom tom and co pilot both do versions that download to a phone and are free for a short period, I have tried both and they both work very well and a years subscription is only £14

tomtom app lets you select twisty roads just like their bike sat navs.

its a very cheap sat nav and if it falls off the bike its not a big loss and lets me keep my real phone safely tucked away.

That looks quality.

That looks quality.

"rough" would be a better term

its only there to see if it fits and has now been removed, until I make a decent bracket or need something in a hurry before then

this all started as I was convinced my speedo was reading fast and wanted to check it, it does

I live in Northern Ireland its hard to get lost here so I have plenty of time, winters are long and I like a wee project in the garage

Back
Top Bottom