Test today

And the next comment was: well done.

If you get a f1rst you've done better than most. For some that is enough in and of itself.

Learning is a continual process, for improvement.

Would you get on board an aeroplane if the pilot hadn't done any additional training since they passed their licence 30 years ago ?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

If a pilot is still flying after 30 years it's pretty obvious he/she knows what they are doing as they would have come a cropper long ago if
they didn't as aviating is a very unforgiving thing to be doing badly so, yes i would be happy with that. I have flown many times in aircraft
piloted by old hand PPL's that have managed to stay current so not required to have any further training and have always felt safe and
trusted them implicitly. I, on the other hand, due to work commitments struggled to stay current and quite often needed to undergo an
hour with an instructor to get current again.

Training is a great thing and as i have said many times if i happen across someone taking a direct access course or a newbie rider i always
suggest to them they go straight for advanced training with one of the groups offering it as it will fast track them to a safer and better
experience of the pleasures of riding a motorcycle.

One other thing while i'm at it, i often hear it said that regular refreshers are good as it irons out the bad habits you have allowed to
creep into your riding. I would suggest that it's not the honing of the riding skills that's needed in those cases it's a honing of the
ability to remember what you should be doing and how to do it and putting it into practice that's required.

If a pilot is still flying after 30 years it's pretty obvious he/she knows what they are doing as they would have come a cropper long ago if
they didn't as aviating is a very unforgiving thing to be doing badly so, yes i would be happy with that. I have flown many times in aircraft
piloted by old hand PPL's that have managed to stay current so not required to have any further training and have always felt safe and
trusted them implicitly. I, on the other hand, due to work commitments struggled to stay current and quite often needed to undergo an
hour with an instructor to get current again.

Training is a great thing and as i have said many times if i happen across someone taking a direct access course or a newbie rider i always
suggest to them they go straight for advanced training with one of the groups offering it as it will fast track them to a safer and better
experience of the pleasures of riding a motorcycle.

One other thing while i'm at it, i often hear it said that regular refreshers are good as it irons out the bad habits you have allowed to
creep into your riding. I would suggest that it's not the honing of the riding skills that's needed in those cases it's a honing of the
ability to remember what you should be doing and how to do it and putting it into practice that's required.
I've come across several instructors who because all they were doing was backseat had let their standards and currency drop.

One was honest enough to go to the head shed and tell him he wasn't as good as he should be. 8 tons of aircraft and he forgot brake checks.

It is being critical of your riding, honesty that you made mistakes and the ability to either resolve the matter, or seek support to raise your standards again.

I am just happy that anyone takes additional training, on or off road. It makes them hopefully a better rider and less likely to hit me

I've come across several instructors who because all they were doing was backseat had let their standards and currency drop.

One was honest enough to go to the head shed and tell him he wasn't as good as he should be. 8 tons of aircraft and he forgot brake checks.

It is being critical of your riding, honesty that you made mistakes and the ability to either resolve the matter, or seek support to raise your standards again.

I am just happy that anyone takes additional training, on or off road. It makes them hopefully a better rider and less likely to hit me

I completely agree. It's one road to a safer you. :thumb2

At the end of it all, decades of experience or being trained to the Nth. degree can go a long way towards but can carry no guarantees of safety, you still need the luck of the draw.

Well done.

You played the game.

I’m expecting an IAM test later this year. But I continue to struggle with the IAM “philosophy” challenge.

Coach No.1 (great guy or I wouldn’t have stuck it out) “ease up on the acceleration out of 30s and 40s.”

Last week second assessor - “you seemed to take a while to get 'up to speed'.”

Fuck me. Make your minds up.

Just one little element of the IAM challenge.

Joined a motorway - “You admitted yourself you were having a bit of a faff at the time, and whilst faffing, both xxx and I were in the fast lane”

Yes - ‘cos I was fuckin’ concentrating on keeping my speedo “legal” instead of my normal blowing off those 66mph crawlers in lane 1.

Well done.

You played the game.

I’m expecting an IAM test later this year. But I continue to struggle with the IAM “philosophy” challenge.

Coach No.1 (great guy or I wouldn’t have stuck it out) “ease up on the acceleration out of 30s and 40s.”

Last week second assessor - “you seemed to take a while to get 'up to speed'.”

Fuck me. Make your minds up.

Just one little element of the IAM challenge.

Joined a motorway - “You admitted yourself you were having a bit of a faff at the time, and whilst faffing, both xxx and I were in the fast lane”

Yes - ‘cos I was fuckin’ concentrating on keeping my speedo “legal” instead of my normal blowing off those 66mph crawlers in lane 1.
Sadly this does happen, and no it is right or fair either.

I always said to any associate from day 1; if we don't get on, say so and I will arrange a different observer for you.

Sometimes it doesn't gel, it's about personalities, and how they help you get test ready.

Speak to Chief Observer, everyone wants you to pass, (that's why most obs do it) inconsistencies are not acceptable in any group.

Good luck, remember it's supposed to be fun too

As soon as my IAM assessor turned up in a "polite" vest I knew it wasn't for me.

Congrats though, Im sure its not easy so well done.

I'd focus on putting into action what you've learnt to date. Try and get out on as many group runs that you can (if they do them).

Being an NO is totally different from achieving a master's.

You'll have seen what your observer did with you, if that's what interests you talk to the group about training.

It was my examiner that asked the question.

He was aware that I'd passed my RoSPA in April 2017 and it was about the next challenge. Not sure I'll re-take the RoSPA as my local group pretty much imploded and no longer exists.

Doing the group IAM runs when I can, but do find they can be a bit processional.

It was my examiner that asked the question.

He was aware that I'd passed my RoSPA in April 2017 and it was about the next challenge. Not sure I'll re-take the RoSPA as my local group pretty much imploded and no longer exists.

Doing the group IAM runs when I can, but do find they can be a bit processional.
RoSPA groups do seem to go through cycles which is a shame as they can have a lot to give.

If your examiner is suggesting it, then I'd listen. In my experience they don't make this suggestion lightly.

Some runs can seem that way, but it gives you time to observe and absorb with pushing the envelope.

Do what you enjoy the most.

There are pros and cons to both IAM & RoSPA, but in my experience it isn't HQ where the main differences lie, its at group level. Both have good and bad examples, I didn't get on with my IAM trainer and after I passed that was it. A skill for life they called it, not accurate obviously as you need to work on it to maintain or improve.

My local RoSPA group were a massive improvement and I'm happily still there, but I believe its down to the group dynamic, not the headline names. I do believe the RoSPA policy of compulsory retest every three years is the better policy, you can voluntarily do that with the IAM, but how many do, not many I suspect.

Learning doesn't start after you pass, it starts at the beginning and never ends.

There are pros and cons to both IAM & RoSPA, but in my experience it isn't HQ where the main differences lie, its at group level. Both have good and bad examples, I didn't get on with my IAM trainer and after I passed that was it. A skill for life they called it, not accurate obviously as you need to work on it to maintain or improve.

My local RoSPA group were a massive improvement and I'm happily still there, but I believe its down to the group dynamic, not the headline names. I do believe the RoSPA policy of compulsory retest every three years is the better policy, you can voluntarily do that with the IAM, but how many do, not many I suspect.

Learning doesn't start after you pass, it starts at the beginning and never ends.
Oh you can't say the last sentence, some riding God's take the hump !

I totally agree, some groups are proactive and forward thinking, others are pretty much morbid ! There some really good groups in either camp.

My view is no matter who or where you go to for any additional training, it is the beginning of a process not the end.

If you don't get on with what's happening tell someone. Also we all learn in different ways try something unusual, like a wheelie school, you may enjoy it.

Back
Top Bottom