Test today

Simian73

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Had my IAM test today......passed with a first, well pleased with that! Now....wheelie school?

And now the learning starts.....

Well done.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Really!! Passed the IAM test with a first, whatever that means, and you say, "now the learning starts"!!
So, the IAM test is no more than a basic test one step up from direct access then :nenau either that
or it's the old elitism thing kicking in where you can get a first class gold then a platinum then an
advanced masters platinum then observer then observer gold then observer platinum top level a
seemingly endless number of badges tbh.

No wonder the IAM thing has such a low repute with so many bikers.

Edit: forgot to say, well done the op. :thumb2

Really!! Passed the IAM test with a first, whatever that means, and you say, "now the learning starts"!!
So, the IAM test is no more than a basic test one step up from direct access then :nenau either that
or it's the old elitism thing kicking in where you can get a first class gold then a platinum then an
advanced masters platinum then observer then observer gold then observer platinum top level a
seemingly endless number of badges tbh.

No wonder the IAM thing has such a low repute with so many bikers.
One step up from direct access ??? Hmmm.

All any advanced riding is a conscious approach to dealing with hazards.

Don't mix up the IAM Roadsmart marketing with the benefits of any additional training.

I was on record, from when this idea was first mooted as to my opposition to "extra" colours etc, but badge collector's pay money and keep those with these "bright ideas" in a job.

If someone wish to learn to improve their riding via the IAM, RoSPA, bikesafe or all the independent training companies then that is a good thing.

If you do California Superbike school, you start at level 1 and progress from there, or not as the case maybe.

Joining the IAM, for some is an end in itself, I see it as the beginning of a journey towards being a safer rider.

One step up from direct access ??? Hmmm.

All any advanced riding is a conscious approach to dealing with hazards.

Don't mix up the IAM Roadsmart marketing with the benefits of any additional training.

I was on record, from when this idea was first mooted as to my opposition to "extra" colours etc, but badge collector's pay money and keep those with these "bright ideas" in a job.

If someone wish to learn to improve their riding via the IAM, RoSPA, bikesafe or all the independent training companies then that is a good thing.

If you do California Superbike school, you start at level 1 and progress from there, or not as the case maybe.

Joining the IAM, for some is an end in itself, I see it as the beginning of a journey towards being a safer rider.

Your wasting your breath on this one, the nay sayers will always come up with some excuse to knock any sort of further training because they are "riding gods" dont ya know. You cant educate pork, so just let them get on with it. Those that can do, those that can't just snipe from the sidelines. Ask any former or serving bike cop who inhabits these pages if Roadcraft is all a load of bull, bet they won't, otherwise that will make them hypocrites. Well donr to the OP, and as tractors says now the real journey starts, its one thing to pass, but its another thing to keep up the high standard. Good luck.

Had my IAM test today......passed with a first, well pleased with that! Now....wheelie school?

Congrats, I also passed mine a couple of weeks ago.

Next decision is what to do next - Masters, Observer etc...?

Well done. Now try to fill the pot of experience before the pot of luck runs out.

Congrats, I also passed mine a couple of weeks ago.

Next decision is what to do next - Masters, Observer etc...?
I'd focus on putting into action what you've learnt to date. Try and get out on as many group runs that you can (if they do them).

Being an NO is totally different from achieving a master's.

You'll have seen what your observer did with you, if that's what interests you talk to the group about training.

Great job, well done.

Continuous development, whether you train to be a group tutor or just get yourself retested every few years it doesn’t matter but don’t rest on your laurels.

Someone mentioned group rides, in my opinion they are not for everyone, I've been on some great rides and bloody terrible rides. I think they should be graded so you ride with others who are of a similar standard or style a bit like track days with the beginners, intermediate and advanced. I’m not suggesting different speeds as much as how progressive each rider is.

Your wasting your breath on this one, the nay sayers will always come up with some excuse to knock any sort of further training because they are "riding gods" dont ya know. You cant educate pork, so just let them get on with it. Those that can do, those that can't just snipe from the sidelines. Ask any former or serving bike cop who inhabits these pages if Roadcraft is all a load of bull, bet they won't, otherwise that will make them hypocrites. Well donr to the OP, and as tractors says now the real journey starts, its one thing tbo pass, but its another thing to keep up the high standard. Good luck.

"You can't educate pork" what a crass statement. you make my case for me :D
You are the elite and we are inferior to you advanced rider gods cos, you have the badges :D

Your wasting your breath on this one, the nay sayers will always come up with some excuse to knock any sort of further training because they are "riding gods" dont ya know.

To be fair, I don't think UTurn Tony wasn't knocking further training, I think he was taking issue with Tractors' throwaway line of... "and now the learning starts.......". That's just a bit of a cliché (as is "beginning of a journey") and doesn't really add anything meaningful to a genuine well done. The OP has done well, reached a good standard and earned a pat or two on the back.

To be fair, I don't think UTurn Tony wasn't knocking further training, I think he was taking issue with Tractors' throwaway line of... "and now the learning starts.......". That's just a bit of a cliché (as is "beginning of a journey") and doesn't really add anything meaningful to a genuine well done. The OP has done well, reached a good standard and earned a pat or two on the back.

There you go :thumb2

I keep a copy of Road Craft handy and am always dipping into it. I've not done any of the club type training although I was a car ADI and have put both skills together.

"You can't educate pork" what a crass statement. you make my case for me :D
You are the elite and we are inferior to you advanced rider gods cos, you have the badges :D
Never claimed to be a god, nor am I aware has Derek.

Do I try and put into practice the system I have learnt, yes. Doesn't mean that I get it right most the time, doesn't stop me from trying though.

If you do the BMW off road course with SP, do you try and emulate the advice and guidance he gives or do you know better and do your own thing?

And the next comment was: well done.

If you get a f1rst you've done better than most. For some that is enough in and of itself.

Learning is a continual process, for improvement.

Would you get on board an aeroplane if the pilot hadn't done any additional training since they passed their licence 30 years ago ?

Back
Top Bottom