Nav VI losing Bluetooth connections

P248

Reaction score
The Nav is connected to my Samsung A5 phone and to my Cardo Packtalk Bold. After 5 or 10 mins of good connection the Nav first drops one of the connections and then a few minutes later it drops the other. Sometimes, and sometime later, it might reconnect to one or other of the devices but not always. And if it does it almost always loses it again after a few minutes.
I've tried unpairing the devices, deleting each of them from from all three devices and pairing them again, but no improvement. All devices are fully up to date with the latest versions of the software/firmware, etc.

As it's the Nav losing connection to two other devices I'm pretty certain it's the problem.

Can anyone offer any help?

Thanks Mulcher, I found that Health ADV video some time ago and, as you say, it’s very helpful. I use its guidelines every time I have to redo the connections. The connections of the TFT to the phone and to the Packtalk are both robust. It’s the connections of the Nav to the phone and to the Packtalk which have problems.

you cant have them all connected though?

in your OP you are talking about the Nav6 connections - but now you say there is a TFT in there too?

the packtalk should connect to both the TFT and the Nav - one on each BT channel.

but your phone should be connected to one or the other - not both (and not direct to the packtalk)

My phone connects to the Nav VI and to the TFT, while the Packtalk connects to the TFT (as Mobile phone 1) and to the Nav (as a Satnav), A’s is described in the video linked above. It’s the Nav VI which then loses the connections to the phone and also to the Packtalk. The phone has no problems connecting to 2 devices at the same time usually.

Indeed if I use my old Garmin Zumo 660 in in the Nav VI cradle on the R1250GS, the Zumo happily connects to both the phone and the Packtalk and doesn’t drop either, while the TFT is connected to the phone and to the Packtalk at the same time.

I’m certain the Nav VI is where the problem lies, but how to fix it?

My phone connects to the Nav VI and to the TFT, while the Packtalk connects to the TFT (as Mobile phone 1) and to the Nav (as a Satnav), A’s is described in the video linked above. It’s the Nav VI which then loses the connections to the phone and also to the Packtalk. The phone has no problems connecting to 2 devices at the same time usually.

Indeed if I use my old Garmin Zumo 660 in in the Nav VI cradle on the R1250GS, the Zumo happily connects to both the phone and the Packtalk and doesn’t drop either, while the TFT is connected to the phone and to the Packtalk at the same time.

I’m certain the Nav VI is where the problem lies, but how to fix it?

its the "sharing of contacts, last dialled etc" that most phones will baulk at - some hi-end phones may cope with it, but its not usual.

I'd select one or the other as you will always have problems when the phone is trying to connect - and do the same job - with what it sees as 2 x "Bluetooth handsfree profile" devices.

Geekay, the phone is not having any problems connecting, it’s the Navigator that is having problems connecting to the phone and to the Packtalk.

As I mentioned my Zumo connects to both the phone and the Packtalk at the same time without any problems and works perfectly with both. It’s the Nav VI that can’t do it, although it should be able to.

Garmin seem to acknowledge there are some difficulties, see https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=0YSDDThXAy3e1RISqXLrO9. I have followed these instructions, which are pretty much the same as those given in the video linked previously, but I’ve still got the problem. I’m hoping one of the inmates here will have a solution that works.

Also Nav VI is designed to connect to the phone to use the Garmin Smartlink app and to connect to a Bluetooth headset to transmit navigation instructions.

The information in the last two paragraphs makes me sure the Nav VI is intended to connect to a phone and to a Bluetooth headset at the same time.

Geekay, the phone is not having any problems connecting, it’s the Navigator that is having problems connecting to the phone and to the Packtalk.

As I mentioned my Zumo connects to both the phone and the Packtalk at the same time without any problems and works perfectly with both. It’s the Nav VI that can’t do it, although it should be able to.

Garmin seem to acknowledge there are some difficulties, see https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=0YSDDThXAy3e1RISqXLrO9. I have followed these instructions, which are pretty much the same as those given in the video linked previously, but I’ve still got the problem. I’m hoping one of the inmates here will have a solution that works.

Also Nav VI is designed to connect to the phone to use the Garmin Smartlink app and to connect to a Bluetooth headset to transmit navigation instructions.

The information in the last two paragraphs makes me sure the Nav VI is intended to connect to a phone and to a Bluetooth headset at the same time.
it is intended to do exactly that - and that's how I use it.

its the phone which is the weak link, which is why I keep going on about it, but i'll stop now as you are determined to vilify the Nav5.

I'm just telling you how the Bluetooth profile works - having it connected to both NAV and TFT is going to cause issues. regardless of the hardware used.

Geekay,

Thanks for input, but I’m afraid I’m not persuaded that the phone is the problem. And I am not trying to villify the Nav VI (I’m not talking about the Nav V you refer to in your last message). Having just spent £600 on it, I’d like to get it operating in the way BMW and Garmin suggest it should.

As I said before, if I substitute my Zumo 660 in place of Nav VI, everything connects and works properly without any disconnections. So a simple process of elimination suggests to me that the Nav VI Is where the problem lies.

In any case, my phone does not normally have any problem making Bluetooth connections wth 2 devices at the same time. It routinely connects to my car’s Bluetooth system and to my Zumo 660, or to my R1250’s TFT and to my Zumo, or when I’m on my other bike, to my Zumo and to my Packtalk. It also used to connect to my Zumo and my Interphone Tour before I sold the Interphone. All these combinations work/worked properly, including sharing of contacts, etc.

You say it’s the phone that has the problem, but what’s that got to do with the Nav VI losing its connection to the Packtalk? Surely if it’s the phone that can’t cope, then the Nav VI may lose my the phone, but why would the Nav then also lose contact with the Packtalk?

Just to be clear, I am not asking any of the devices to connect to more than two other devices:

I want the Nav VI connected to the phone and the Packtalk,

the phone connected to the TFT and the Nav VI

the TFT connected to the phone and and the Packtalk

and the Packtalk connected to the TFT and the NavVI

Geekay,

Thanks for input, but I’m afraid I’m not persuaded that the phone is the problem. And I am not trying to villify the Nav VI (I’m not talking about the Nav V you refer to in your last message). Having just spent £600 on it, I’d like to get it operating in the way BMW and Garmin suggest it should.

As I said before, if I substitute my Zumo 660 in place of Nav VI, everything connects and works properly without any disconnections. So a simple process of elimination suggests to me that the Nav VI Is where the problem lies.

In any case, my phone does not normally have any problem making Bluetooth connections wth 2 devices at the same time. It routinely connects to my car’s Bluetooth system and to my Zumo 660, or to my R1250’s TFT and to my Zumo, or when I’m on my other bike, to my Zumo and to my Packtalk. It also used to connect to my Zumo and my Interphone Tour before I sold the Interphone. All these combinations work/worked properly, including sharing of contacts, etc.

You say it’s the phone that has the problem, but what’s that got to do with the Nav VI losing its connection to the Packtalk? Surely if it’s the phone that can’t cope, then the Nav VI may lose my the phone, but why would the Nav then also lose contact with the Packtalk?

Just to be clear, I am not asking any of the devices to connect to more than two other devices:

I want the Nav VI connected to the phone and the Packtalk,

the phone connected to the TFT and the Nav VI

the TFT connected to the phone and and the Packtalk

and the Packtalk connected to the TFT and the NavVI

I would suggest if you bought the Nav VI from your local friendly Motorrad Retailer then you should pop in and have a chat with them there, explain all that you have on here and ask if they would be able to test pair with a different Nav VI unit to try to confirm that your unit is faulty and perhaps might need to be replaced.

Best of luck with sorting it.

I would suggest if you bought the Nav VI from your local friendly Motorrad Retailer then you should pop in and have a chat with them there, explain all that you have on here and ask if they would be able to test pair with a different Nav VI unit to try to confirm that your unit is faulty and perhaps might need to be replaced.

Best of luck with sorting it.

Yes Creags, I think you’re right. I’ve only just got the bike back from them after having the keyless fuel cap replaced under warranty! They’ll be greeting me by name soon.

its the "sharing of contacts, last dialled etc" that most phones will baulk at - some hi-end phones may cope with it, but its not usual.

I'd select one or the other as you will always have problems when the phone is trying to connect - and do the same job - with what it sees as 2 x "Bluetooth handsfree profile" devices.

When I connect my Sony Xperia XZ3 Android phone to my TFT and Nav 6 and the TFT and Nav 6 to my headset I go into the device settings for the Nav 6 in my phone and turn off contacts and calls and have media only. On the Nav 6 I make sure the that the phone is connected and a big green tick in the 'smartphone link' is on, phone calls off or disabled and media can be on or off, and a big green tick to say your phone is connected. That is how my 'Bluetooth device options' screen looks and mine works ok.

What Geekay is trying to say is the TFT should be managing phone calls and media and nav if you wish and the Nav 6 traffic, speed camera and weather information etc via the Garmin app. It maybe that your Zumo can handle being connected for contacts and calls along with theTFT but the Nav 6 I don't believe can from what I have read and seen on YT.
This is how I have mine working and it works fine.
HTH
Nigel

Tigger390,

As far as I can tell my devices and TFT are set up and connected as you describe, but the Nav VI connections last only for 10 or 15 minutes. As noted above the Nav loses connection to both the phone and then the headset. The phone-TFT-headset connections continue to work without any problems. When the Nav loses its connections I get a notice come up on the Nav screen “Bluetooth device disconnected” with an “OK” button. If I then look at the Bluetooth screen on the Nav, the A5 Galaxy is shown as “connecting” and if I go into it, the box against the phone connection is empty, and the Smartphone link and Media lines are are marked either “failed connection” or “out of range” and the ticks in the respective boxes are greyed out. Soon aftewards the Nav connection to the headset drops out.

Since my earlier posts I contacted Garmin support describing the problem exactly as I did above. They have responded telling me that the Nav VI is probably faulty and I should take it my dealer.

The only other thing I can suggest that would only really affect the phone is where you have the phone when riding. I was being really boring and reading the bike manual last week as only had my GSA for 4 weeks and it recommends not having the phone 'behind' the tank. In other words not in your trouser pocket but in a jacket pocket or cradle.
Hope you get it sorted. I know how frustrating these problems are as having problems with my Sena 30K, on my 3rd set and that is now going back in favour of a Cardo Packtalk.

Nigel

Hope you get it sorted. I know how frustrating these problems are as having problems with my Sena 30K, on my 3rd set and that is now going back in favour of a Cardo Packtalk.

Nigel

Thanks Tigger390. As it happens ido normally carry my phone in my jacket pocket. In fact, to make sure, yesterday I laid the phone and the Nav VI and the headset on the kitchen table beside each other & connected them by Bluetooth. I switched on the Nav’s GPS simulator and ran a simulated route. As usual, after 10 or 15 minutes the connections were lost. I’ll be taking it back to my dealer at the weekend.

By the way, I find the Packtalk to be a very good unit.However, as seems to be the case with most headsets, you do need to get the speakers as close to your ears as you can. Also, the default voice command language is English US, which doesn’t understand commands spoken with a British accent. Make sure you use the Cardo Connect phone App to select voice command language as English UK (or English British; sorry, can’t rememeber which). If you do this, the voice control works brilliantly and you don’t need to use any buttons while riding. Note that you cannot download English UK through the Cardo web updater or Cardo Community sites; the only option is shown as “English”, which is actually US English.

Good luck.

Thanks for the tips, Cardo Packtalk Bold Duo set arriving tomorrow. So more learning for me! I will be using my Ultimate Ear earplugs with speakers built in so speaker placement for me won't be an issue, only for my partner's helmet.

My unit was exchanged by my dealer yesterday (many thanks to them). I haven't had chance to try it out in the real world yet, but I ran a number simulations last evening and overnight with durations of up to 8 hrs. As described above my original Nav VI, under the same conditions, would drop its Bluetooth connections after 10 to 15 mins. The new unit didn't lose either of its connections once. Result!
I'll test it in the real world situation over the next few days, but I'm hopeful that all is good now.

Update: The replacement Nav VI has been on the bike now for a week and has worked perfectly. So it was definitely the original unit that was faulty. Thank you Lind Motorrad for sorting it under warranty.

Back
Top Bottom