Basecamp to Drivesmart 51

paul08

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have, for a number of years, been successfully using BC to create routes and then transferring them to the BMW Nav V on my motorbike.

However, I am having less success when trasferring said BC Routes to a Garmin Nuvi 3490 or a Garmin Drivesmart51 for use in a car. I download the BC routes to my GPS device and then select the route required from 'Trip Planner' on my device

On a recent 'grand tour' around Northern Spain & Portugal, the Drivesmart was a pain in the proverbial!!! It would try to route us off my 'chosen' roite and down some very small roads and through villages. In some instances it was almost as if it was looking for any opportunity to get off the chosen route! It got to the stage that we had the Drivesmart sat on the top of the dashboard, running the route, and we would check the screen of the car's in-built GPS to see if she was trying to re-route us because there was a loop in the BC route that she preferred'!!!!

Some of these detours/recalculations even included "Unpaved roads", even though I have these selected in Avoidances.

Anyone any ideas what I am doing wrong?

As far as I am aware, I have BC and the GPS set up the same re calculation mode and avoidances.

Never had this issue raise its head when follwing my BMW Nav V

I suppose that I could just make sure that I put in more Waypoints, but I try to only use Waypoints at places I definitely want to go through.

Thanks Richard

I had seen that page from Garmin Support. Not much help really

I have only used the Drivesmart for Navigation when using routes downloaded from Basecamp. Most of the time it acts as a speed camera warning system and as a dash cam.

I have yet to find the "turn off auto-recalculate" button, but I will search again.

I’m only guessing that it might have a ‘Turn off recalculate’ option, I’m afraid.

It might be worthwhile you contacting Garmin services, to see if they can help?

I recently used a Garmin Driveluxe 50 downloaded with predefined routes from Basecamp on a tour of Germany and France - and it seemed to be behaving itself in following them. We were also getting traffic warnings for the Germany autobahns.
I'm sorry, but I don't know what you are doing wrong.
Worst bit was the 5-hour wait at Calais docks due to the heavy Channel seas last weekend.

I have checked/reset all the settings I could find. And will take it from there.

Thanks to those who responded

(as the issue only seemed to raise its head in Portugal, I wonder whether it is something to do with how the roads in Portugal have been coded?)

Back
Top Bottom