Weird tyre wear

King Rat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have determined to get practise on the big bike. The tyres have been on for best part of 3 years, 2 years laid up more or less.... I have always replaced tyres as a pair, even if the front had some life left, generally they have worn more or less evenly, maybe 30-40% left on the front when the rear is properly goosed. Went to fit new tyres this morning, Karoo 3s, because it is what I had ready to fit and they were in the attic of the garage. The Karoo 3s that were on were the first time I had tried then, always used Tourance up until then, on all GSs. The funny thing is the rear was below 1mm, so needed changing, virtually bald, I would have run it for another 500 miles of going to work, but with Orkney trip looming I felt I should change it in time. The front, fitted at the same time as the back, was still on 7mm at the centre, out of 9mm when new - we measured the new tyre to compare. I have never had tyres wear so unevenly before - same bike, same rider, same type of riding, same loading...... Are the Karoo 3s particularly well lasting on the front? I don't feel I have changed how I ride, maybe I have, but if I have it would be for a more gentle approach, not more throttle.

Any ideas? I hope the front lasts the rear out, judging by the last rear tyre it should do. Thoughts on a postcard, addressed to 'bemused GSER'. :thumb2

Dear Bemused,
we're all having a wonderful time here on planet earth.
Wish you were here.
Vera and family

The funny thing is the rear was below 1mm, so needed changing, virtually bald, I would have run it for another 500 miles of going to work, but with Orkney trip looming I felt I should change it in time.

Twaaaatt 3 or 6 points right there, depending on how plod felt that day!!!

More importantly Just how does one think that the surface water will disperse from betwixt rubber and tarmac

and keep your arse, on the bike, and on the black stuff, instead of an excursion to the green stuff Or worse Blue stuff

Tyres are decent enough prices if you do set out to buy Riding God status rubber

Running that last bit is a false economy Old Chap

Ride Safe

As to tyre wear? It may well be that you are accelerating harder and using more rear brake to "trail" corners ??

Tyre pressure? Gross Vehicle weight ?? Gross Rider Weight increase? More motorway style miles?

IN those situations the back tyre works much harder than the front

Twaaaatt 3 or 6 points right there, depending on how plod felt that day!!!

More importantly Just how does one think that the surface water will disperse from betwixt rubber and tarmac

and keep your arse, on the bike, and on the black stuff, instead of an excursion to the green stuff Or worse Blue stuff

Tyres are decent enough prices if you do set out to buy Riding God status rubber

Running that last bit is a false economy Old Chap

Ride Safe

As to tyre wear? It may well be that you are accelerating harder and using more rear brake to "trail" corners ??

Tyre pressure? Gross Vehicle weight ?? Gross Rider Weight increase? More motorway style miles?

IN those situations the back tyre works much harder than the front

The canvas wasn't showing yet.....

Ride in the wet? ARE YOU MAD? I will dissolve.

I hadn't realised that long hauls at top gear plodding would have such a lessening effect on the front. I have never experienced it before - possibly not braking so late is the answer too? Those Bike Safes have started to payback dividends!

I don't think it's that the Karoo 3 is outstandingly long lasting on the front, it's that the rear, being pretty knobbly gets destroyed toot sweet. Put a set of Avon Trailriders on it - lovely neutral handling tyres . Most tyres go two rears to one front as I 'm sure you know, although the BT016 Pros I run on my Laverda wear out at the same rate.

I don't think it's that the Karoo 3 is outstandingly long lasting on the front, it's that the rear, being pretty knobbly gets destroyed toot sweet. Put a set of Avon Trailriders on it - lovely neutral handling tyres . Most tyres go two rears to one front as I 'm sure you know, although the BT016 Pros I run on my Laverda wear out at the same rate.

I shall go back to standard Tourances I think, or Scorpion Rally (because I can get them through work at trade!)

I have run my 1150Gsa on Tkc 80s for the last 50,000 miles

I usually get approx 5k out of a rear to about 12k from the front hence change 2 rears to each front

Hope this assists

I have run my 1150Gsa on Tkc 80s for the last 50,000 miles

I usually get approx 5k out of a rear to about 12k from the front hence change 2 rears to each front

Hope this assists

I did try TKC80s, on the 650 single - it was like riding a pneumatic drill......and they wore out in about 1/3rd of the time I would expect a pair of tyres to last. Too uncomfortable and costly for me, sorry. Karoo3s last about twice as long as the TKC80s, and will be just as shite as me when I venture off tramac!

but with Orkney trip looming

Are you going up for the annual TTT rally (in 2 weeks) or for some other reason? We attended the rally last year and it was excellent. Like Shetland's 'Simmer Dim', only smaller. Enjoyed the craic and riding around the island was fun.

Are you going up for the annual TTT rally (in 2 weeks) or for some other reason? We attended the rally last year and it was excellent. Like Shetland's 'Simmer Dim', only smaller. Enjoyed the craic and riding around the island was fun.

Yes, going for the Tits Twats Trots Rally... and a look at the neolithic sites, and some fishing! Taking a travel spinning rod and some lures, should be able to winkle out a pollack off the rocks, or even a seatrout from one of the sandy lochs! Then heading across the north coast to a couple of bass fihsing spots I have up there - not taking the fly rod in case it is blowy. i must drop in on my sister on Skye on the way south too, I haven't seen her for 5 years at least.

Back
Top Bottom