ABS Issues 2005 Model

Phaeton

Reaction score
I've read the sticky but it doesn't really tell me that much, I suspect or probably rather hoping that it's just a bleeding issue, but can somebody confirm before I jump in wielding spanners & turkey basters.

In case it needed subtitles for those living below Watford when I pull the front brake, the pump/servo wails then tone changes, when press the rear the pump/servo tramps continuously.

To break it to you gently ????

Its Fucked!!! Pull it out!!

Separate the Electronics off the ABS unit and seal the open part up and refit to loom and secure under tank

Re pipe the brake lines as per a standard bike and bleed as a normal Bike

Split clocks and paint over the LEDs rebuild clocks and refit

Job done

Trust me! The likely hood of bringing that servo schite system back from a failure issue is a bad idea !

It's not "IF" it fails ?? It is WHEN

Good Luck and Ride safe !

Got a feeling I'll be in this boat soon too...my 2005 has 70k on the clock and the servo sound is continuous, no pulsing, but as you say it's when not if it's going to fail.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info folks, so have I got it the wrong way around, the tramping of the rear is right & the solid tone of the front is wrong? Out riding there doesn't appear to be any issues with the brakes other than the rear being a bit keen, the light hasn't flashed on the dashboard as of yet, but I'm sure it will

No Lights Flashing ?

= No Fault Codes

Just be wary of them though

When riding If you click into neutral on a nice straight road ? and KILL The ignition that switches off power to the servo and then practice stopping with no servo :green gri

No Lights Flashing ?
Nope light comes on, move bike about 10 foot goes off & stays off, but I'm pretty sure we'll be doing a bypass in the future we're not lucky enough to buy the only 1200GS from 2005 that has the bombproof electronic unit fitted

Nope light comes on, move bike about 10 foot goes off & stays off,
Normal practice the ABS ECU has to "See signals" from the wheel sensors before it has completed its "Self checks" and the system is fully active

If you get flashy blinky lights as soon as you turn on the ignition make sure you are not holding the brakes on as it also needs to see 2 x brake switches which on servo ABS are normally "connected" when the levers are not used and actually break the connection when you pull a lever. (the reverse of a non servo assist or any normal motorcycle

bent or twisted out of place brake micro switches also cause this flashy blinky failure when you turn on the ignition |Clue= brake light on

but I'm pretty sure we'll be doing a bypass in the future we're not lucky enough to buy the only 1200GS from 2005 that has the bombproof electronic unit fitted

Well apart from stuck ABS motor brushes they are pretty good and at least you get full power brakes even if the ABS fails

and you can replace the bad motor with an ABS motor from a Mk9 fiesta

Normal practice the ABS ECU has to "See signals" from the wheel sensors before it has completed its "Self checks" and the system is fully active

If you get flashy blinky lights as soon as you turn on the ignition make sure you are not holding the brakes on as it also needs to see 2 x brake switches which on servo ABS are normally "connected" when the levers are not used and actually break the connection when you pull a lever. (the reverse of a non servo assist or any normal motorcycle

bent or twisted out of place brake micro switches also cause this flashy blinky failure when you turn on the ignition |Clue= brake light on

Well apart from stuck ABS motor brushes they are pretty good and at least you get full power brakes even if the ABS fails

and you can replace the bad motor with an ABS motor from a Mk9 fiesta

It is possible to replace the brushes, which don't actually wear out, they just get stuck in the brush carrier / frame.
You have to chisel off the corners of the housing holding the plastic cover on, which is a lot easier than it sounds, then you can dremel some grooves into the bearing outer race in order to get a puller engaged and pull the bearing off the motor, which allows access to the brushes. A friend of mine has repaired his and has a spare which was also not working due to the brushes which he has also repaired. I think in total it cost him less than £10 per repair. He's a very clever chap, did his own clutch replacement too a while back.

It is possible to replace the brushes, which don't actually wear out, they just get stuck in the brush carrier / frame.
You have to chisel off the corners of the housing holding the plastic cover on, which is a lot easier than it sounds, then you can dremel some grooves into the bearing outer race in order to get a puller engaged and pull the bearing off the motor, which allows access to the brushes. A friend of mine has repaired his and has a spare which was also not working due to the brushes which he has also repaired. I think in total it cost him less than £10 per repair. He's a very clever chap, did his own clutch replacement too a while back.

Buy a Mk9 fiesta ABS pump for about £20 or £30

Remove motor from it just like the BM one

Remove motor from BM pump

Fit Fiesta Motor

I drilled and fitted a couple of M6 studs and half washers to secure the pump motor on the new one

and the scrap goes in recycling

The guy did well! It is a fiddly, frustrating and delicate job to split the bits off

Thats why I did the motor swap when i was fixing bikes

You’ve just wasted 10 minutes of your life typing all that out .... The guy has a 2005 bike which has servo/abs brakes, your advice is for the post 2007 ABS only bikes which are far far simpler .

You’ve just wasted 10 minutes of your life typing all that out .... The guy has a 2005 bike which has servo/abs brakes, your advice is for the post 2007 ABS only bikes which are far far simpler .

Crikey, why so aggressive? You could have just said the last bit.
I apologize for my stupidity and lack of knowledge, but I was, after all, only trying to help.

Crikey, why so aggressive? You could have just said the last bit.
I apologize for my stupidity and lack of knowledge, but I was, after all, only trying to help.

It's not aggressiveness, right..
It's informative, specifically to help you navigate the many obstacles and pitfalls that wait for us on our journey through life.

If you follow the 2 links above, it shows you how to do it, you appear to need 2x link pipes & an t-piece the part numbers are there, although I'm not sure whose part numbers they are BMW's or somebody else's. although if they are just normal brake pipes I'm sure you could make your own. Then you have to butcher the ABS to make it think it's still in the system as it controls the speedo etc.

What I personally probably need to to find somebody with the same bike & get them to ride it, it could well be that this is the way these bikes are, I've 40 years on bikes, well 50 if you count fields & don't think there is much wrong with them, the son whose 10 years on the road keeps locking the back wheel up at low speeds, although no lights flash, so a 2nd opinion would be good.

So if there is anybody in the Sheffield, Rotherham, Doncaster, Chesterfield area whose has a bike with working ABS & can offer to have a quick ride

It's not aggressiveness, right..
It's informative, specifically to help you navigate the many obstacles and pitfalls that wait for us on our journey through life.

If that first reply is an attempt to help me navigate my way through life, then you failed.

Can non servo ABS be retro fitted to the earlier bikes when servo fails?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Nope

In their wisdom none of the new stuff matches the frequencies of the old stuff

For example You cannot use a post 2006 Final Drive on a pre 2006 Bike as the ABS and Speed sensor won;t work

mechanically its all pretty much the same But it doesn't work

Back
Top Bottom