2010 TC heated grips not working

Benhur Malta

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Guys,

not good with electrics, and my GS was bought with heated grips not working...I have no problem forking out the money to change the grips as I am not adept at repairing the heating elements as seen on the net. But how do i check whether its the heated grip which has failed... Where can i stick a voltmeter to check whether the switchgear controlling the grips is in fact working correctly please?

both sides are not functioning....

thanks

R.

First check would be battery voltage as the bike will disable the grips if your battery is shagged.����

My 2010 1200TC GSA grips stopped working, and it showed as a fault on the GS911. The grips are plugged into sockets within the switch housings, very short leads unlike the 1150. I guess it should be possible to measure voltage if you unscrew the coverings. However, the Canbus might switch off the power if there is a fault so might not be conclusive. Measure the resistance, probably open circuit if faulty. About GBP200 to replace from Motorworks iirc..

BTW, I tried to install Oxford grips but the rhs was too tight on the throttle tube and despite a lot of sanding, I broke the fxxxer.
Bought the OEM units and used the Oxford set on R100 - grand!

Pictures....

Attachments

• LEft Grip.JPG
    LEft Grip.JPG
    189.9 KB · Views: 161
  • Right Grip.JPG
    Right Grip.JPG
    220.3 KB · Views: 165
I had an issue with the left one and the bike was turning them both off, a code reader or dealer will be able to tell you this. I had them replaced but they are still crap. The ones on my K1200S are so hot you could fry an egg on them !

My grips were playing up on my 2012 TC, fitted new batterey and all sorted. No more faults since.

my only doubt is that here in Malta its 40 degrees, so i dont know if they have some sort of thermostat which prevents them coming on, unless its cold...or whether they are so weak that you just cant feel them working in a hot environment

Back
Top Bottom