Advice on Wunderlich Bar-Risers.

pieman42

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm thinking of fitting some bar risers to my 2016 RT.
I've decided I like the look of the Wunderlich ones the best.

Does anyone have these fitted? If so, can you answer the following questions please:
Do all the cables still reach without amendment?
Do the risers impact on the view from the rear-view mirrors? If so, how bad is it?

Cheers,
Martin

Hmmm...........the Ilium Works risers seem to get good reviews (and are cheaper!)

Anyone got these fitted, or even the more expensive Heli-Bars risers?

Thoughts please

Cheers!!

There are very few RT owners on this forum. I would join 1200rt.com or the BMW LT forum. Or visit and do a search, bar risers have been done to death on those forums

Thanks for the heads-up Casbar..............I'll give them a visit

I'll reply due to the limited response you're getting (we RT owners are rare beasts) but my input is limited as I have no experience of the Wunderlich product. That said, I did fit Ilium bar risers to a 2014 RT LC in conjunction with a rebuilt (higher) seat and peg lowering kit to significantly open up the crampt cockpit that the standard set up gave.

With the Iliums I had no issue with cables nor mirrors, so you need not worry on that front.

However it is easy to damage the switchgear's delicate wiring during removal/installation so take great care if you intend to do it yourself. Also be prepared for a struggle removing the OEM bolts. If you're unsure, it might be worth asking your dealer to do the work. Some will, some won't because of the safety implications of fitting non-BMW components in such a critical area.

One last thought, and it's unlikely to matter to everyone but as well as reducing the reach to the handlebars you will also be sitting more upright. Not necessarily a bad thing unless you have a dodgy back.

Despite any negativity in the above I'll be fitting bar risers this winter to my new RT, again as part of a package of changes to make the RT fit my 6'1" frame.

Hope it helps somehow.

GWJ, thanks very much for the response, much appreciated.

Well, I looked at all different views and opinions, and, mainly due to lack of reviews on the Wunderlich risers, I've ordered the Ilium set (and hired the removal tool as well).
Most reviews of the Iliums stated that there was no impact on the cables and rear mirror view. Thats what I was after........
I've been watching You Tube videos of the fitting procedure, and to be honest, it doesnt appear to be too difficult, especially with the removal tool (famous last words!!)
But thanks very much for the word of warning on the delicate nature of the switchgear wiring, I'll be taking my time and using 'kid gloves' :)

I'm 6'3" meself and quite 'portly' with a 33" inside leg.

So, I'm quite interested also on your experience of the peg lowering kit. I've thought about buying this as well.

Did you have to adjust the position of the rear brake pedal and / or the gear shift lever in any way?
I have the gear-shift assist pro fitted, if you have also, was this impacted?

Sorry for all the questions!!!!
And thanks again for the bar-riser information.

Regards,
Martin

I've used both Suburban Machinery and Wunderlich peg lowering kits in the past. They are expensive for what they are at £154 but always resell easily if you let the bike go in the future. They are easy to fit, use OEM rests so look stock and nicely open up the knee angle.

IIRC the brake pedal isn't adjustable for height on the 2014- RT so it sits a little high relative to the footrest, so you need to raise your foot an inch to use it. Personally I hardly use the rear brake, apart from slow speed manoeuvres, and I soon learned to adapt to it. The gear lever is simply rotated on the spline to lower it a tad. No issues with Gear Shift Pro.

One obvious thing not to be overlooked is you will effectively reduce ground clearance between peg and ground, so if you ride with your toes pointing down you are more likely to scuff your boots. I never found it a problem as the pegs fold up if needs be.

I recently discovered a third choice which are cheaper to buy (though I'm less confident about resale) which offer more adjustability . Check these out too if you are thinking of taking the idea further .

https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop/Parts.php?T=6&Q=BA_15_36_MA_30_09_AA

More about my problems fitting the Ilium bar risers.

My issue in removing the handlebar bolts was the special tool didn't work too well, continuously slipping out of place. That was in 2014 and I believe Ilium have brought out an improved tool since then.

The issue in damaging the switchgear was my wrong. When torquing the handlebar bolts I didn't notice the switchgear rotated and in the process strained the wiring. If you take care you should be fine.

Thanks again GWJ for your experiences and words of wisdom: much appreciated!!

It was the Wunderlich peg lowering kit that I was looking at, I'd never heard of the other two tbh: I will have a look now though.

Cheers GWJ!! :beerjug:

I have a 2018 RT LE. At 6Ft 2 I needed to make the ergonomics better for my long legs. Installed Wunderlich risers, lower pegs and high seat. Makes a world of difference and worth the investment. You get what you pay for and Wunderlich is not only good quality but doesn't stand out as a modification.

Back
Top Bottom