Website Hosting Help

Simmo

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a website that was designed & hosted (for free) by a family friend a couple of years ago. It is used to help run an event that is run by volunteers one day each year & any money we raise goes straight to charities & good causes.
This is the website: www.rollestontransportfestival.co.uk
It is used primarily to book cars into the event, as it sends me an email when someone fills in the form on the website & I can put this info into a database & send them out an entry pass in the post. It is also used to update on what is going on at the event & how much money we have raised & how we are donating it.
My family fried has now stopped building & hosting websites & he has given the hosting to another company, who will start charging us in November. I am trying not to bother him as he is setting a new business up.
The website is built using Wordpress.org & I can change information on it.
My questions are:
1. Could I just move it to a hosting service such as 123-reg?
2. The new hosting company have also said that it is not a secure website & that we need a cookie policy & a GDPR policy. Do I need to do this? If so what would I need to do to satisfy this?
3. I would like to become more competent in updating the website, what is the best way of learning how to do this? I would like to become competent in maintaining & updating the website.

Thanks in advance Paul

Hi Smogbob,
Thanks for your help.
Do I need anything from the existing hosting company? Do I need to get a copy of the existing website? Do I need to have a GDPR & cookie policy?
Sorry for the basic questions but I’d just like to be self sufficient in the future.
Cheers Paul

Back
Top Bottom