Fuel Strip or other issue.

DevonAl

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
:hide
I know this issue has been covered on hundreds of posts, I have read most of them!! But can’t seem to find anything that covers my issue with the gauge.
The problem I have is that when I fill up, the gauge only reads half full, as I use fuel the gauge fluctuates between half and the line where the small graduations start, after 160 ish miles the warning light comes on and the miles to empty start to countdown as they should.
The bike is ‘06 and I had and issue with the gauge fluctuating fixed under warranty 4 yrs ago when I got it by dealer(non BMW)who apparently changed pump and fuel strip.
What I would like to know is, If this is usual the failing fuel strip issue, fine I will live with it and use the trip reset on fill ups(I usually do it anyway and I don’t get the annoying continuous warning light normally associated with this fault.) If its a different fault and an easy(cheap) fix and somebody can point me in the right direction I will sort it.

Al.

I have had 10 (count them) fuel strips in my 2008 GSA. If I remember they act like this right before they go completely tits up and die :(

I have had 8 strips now. They never fail in the same way every time.
If yours is still giving an accurate countdown when low on fuel that's all you need until it fails completely.
When you finally get a permanent flashing low file light get a new strip.

Just had mine replaced by BMW after three years of ownership two year warranty plus recall on the fuel pumps.

Thanks for the replies, it’s what I expected to hear, I’ll wait until it dies completely and then deal with it.

Al.

Just convert it to float problem solved!
Motorworks will sell you the float type sensor for 40 then 2h of work changing pins in the loom and reprogramme the ecu done!
315524739ff29e117bf303848e0adaba.jpg
09339bf7ff4ce3404c0aa77daebe645d.jpg
5c2cbe130e78fc4bbb6ce5b114c1e63e.jpg
c1dfb0fc9fcdfa2a9c05b6ef2b421ebe.jpg
198534141f9127649b554015f210890f.jpg
98c2f123077ade39356b2bbb6c6da65f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Just convert it to float problem solved!
Motorworks will sell you the float type sensor for 40 then 2h of work changing pins in the loom and reprogramme the ecu done!
315524739ff29e117bf303848e0adaba.jpg
09339bf7ff4ce3404c0aa77daebe645d.jpg
5c2cbe130e78fc4bbb6ce5b114c1e63e.jpg
c1dfb0fc9fcdfa2a9c05b6ef2b421ebe.jpg
198534141f9127649b554015f210890f.jpg
98c2f123077ade39356b2bbb6c6da65f.jpg

Only if you have the correct model & ZFE ;)

Have BMW ever come up with a fuel strip which doesn't fail? Mine went ages ago and I've just used the trip meter but I'm waiting on a price from Jeffries for a replacement now. If the new one is also likely to fail I may consider the float alternative instead.

Jeffries have just called me back. They can't give a price without first 'investigating the problem'

Not sure what there is to investigate...........

BMW have never issued an improved/fixed alternative to this part because (and I quote) "there is no known issue with this part". When I asked them to give me numbers of how many had been fixed under warranty in the UK they politely declined :blast

Only if you have the correct model & ZFE ;)
Would be good to list years and model that will make the conversion successful.
I've done one 2008 GSA no ABS
2009gsa ESA, early 2010 GSA ESA.and 2007GS.
Would be good to know if 2006 models are float compatible

when i bought my 09 gs s/h it had 1200 mls on the clock. on the test run the gauge was playing up so was renewed before i picked it up. i sold it with 36000mls and never had a problem with the gauge, is that normal?

when i bought my 09 gs s/h it had 1200 mls on the clock. on the test run the gauge was playing up so was renewed before i picked it up. i sold it with 36000mls and never had a problem with the gauge, is that normal?
You should have taken it back to the dealer and demanded they break it so you were the same as all the other bikes!

I converted mine to float but used one of the convertor boxes. Not that accurate to be honest. Says I'm empty at 200 miles, which on a GSA isn't the case! Pity I'm miles away from Denz0 or I'd ask him to change my pins and reprogram it!

OK so my fuel strip died again last week and now my bike won't start (even though it's on an optimate)........Connected issue or just bad luck :nenau

2008 GS no ABS

So likey not linked then.....

Unlikely. I've had 8 strips and I've never had a problem starting the bike.
Explain what you mean by not starting.

Engine doesn't turn over.
Engine turns over but doesn't fire up.

Are you sure you have fuel in it.
Fpc could have failed.
Ring antenna.

Unlikely. I've had 8 strips and I've never had a problem starting the bike.
Explain what you mean by not starting.

Engine doesn't turn over.
Engine turns over but doesn't fire up.

Are you sure you have fuel in it.
Fpc could have failed.
Ring antenna.

Kill switch not active
Keys in and on
Lights are on, on the dash
Yellow warning light for fuel is on due to the failed strip - plenty of fuel in the tank
Press the ignition and a click is heard but absolutely nothing else
Certainly no engine activity at all

You mention an FPC???

Ring antenna???

All I want to do is ride :blast

Back
Top Bottom