1250 exhaust. Change front pipes (de-cat)

ChrisH

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Can I fit either an Akrapovic or Remus front pipe and use standard can? If so is it too loud and does it sound ok or crap? Had quite a few gs1200’s and usually find an increase in grunt and mid range but in the past I’ve always gone with a full system.

I’ve just ordered a set of Akrapovic headers from Nippy’s for my 15 GS, and it says its compatible with the standard BMW end can.

I know yours is the 1250, but I would imagine Akrapovic would have gone for the same compatibility.

The Remus for the 1250 hasn’t got a flap so shows permanent fault warnings on the dash.

I fitted a full system to my R9T and removed the flap, did not show any fault codes on that so wonder why it does on a gs? Changed exhausts on my previous gs 1200’s and always get a noticeable power increase in the mid range when the cat is removed.

I fitted a full system to my R9T and removed the flap, did not show any fault codes on that so wonder why it does on a gs? Changed exhausts on my previous gs 1200’s and always get a noticeable power increase in the mid range when the cat is removed.

It shows a fault code on my 1200RT and it does on the 1250RT. Its not a code which shows on the screen, only when you plug the bike into the mothership computer, so they know. You can buy a gizmo that plugs in and stops the fault codes though.

I you remove the elctrical connection you will get a fault code. Most people leave the acctuator in place and remove the butterfly operating cables leaving them attached to the butterfly valve on the exhaust you are removing and bung the whole lot on a shelf in the garage.

If you do that on the 1250 it shows fault symbol on right side of TFT. On the 1200 you could just put a bit of sponge between the servo wheel that the cables attach to and the black cover to give some resistance. On the 1250 the servo wheel needs to rotate through 90 degrees so with no stop caused by removing the cables, you get the fault symbol. If u keep riding you get a huge warning notice across the whole TFT screen.

Thanks for your help guys, think I’ll keep standard headers on and poss change the can although I doubt it will make any difference in performance. To be fair the 1250 has enough grunt anyway (god I must be getting old, can’t believe I just said that lol).
Really enjoying this bike, quite a difference to the 1200.

Thanks for your help guys, think I’ll keep standard headers on and poss change the can although I doubt it will make any difference in performance. To be fair the 1250 has enough grunt anyway (god I must be getting old, can’t believe I just said that lol).
Really enjoying this bike, quite a difference to the 1200.

Now that is the most sensible thing I have read in a while. :thumb2:bow:clap:clap

Back
Top Bottom