Winscreen for 1090 Adv R advice needed

vaclove

Reaction score
I am considering upgrading the stock screen on my 1090 Adventure R.

I would like one that gives good wind protection and doesn’t cause to much buffeting around the helmet and view obstruction. One candidate I like is the Touratech one.
I did some measurements and comparisons but still not sure whether to to for a long or short one.

I am surely not the first one doing the screen upgrade so if you have any tips and opinions to share, I will be much appreciated.

I am considering upgrading the stock screen on my 1090 Adventure R.

I would like one that gives good wind protection and doesn’t cause to much buffeting around the helmet and view obstruction. One candidate I like is the Touratech one.
I did some measurements and comparisons but still not sure whether to to for a long or short one.

I am surely not the first one doing the screen upgrade so if you have any tips and opinions to share, I will be much appreciated.
Madstad was the best I found for my 1190, which I think has the same cockpit?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I’ve tried all the screens on my 1290 SA-T, which has the same configuration as the 1090 more or less. It’s a very personal thing so what works for me might not work for you. A few observations though:

- the biggest difference I found was changing my lid from a peaked (Schuberth E1) to a non peaked (Shoei Air)

- the MRA X-Creen is excellent and gives loads of adjustment options. It works well with the 1290 R standard screen.

- the Madstad stuff is ok but didn’t work for me. It works better when you cut a hole in the middle ala Calsci Screens. I have a set of Madstad brackets that will fit your bike for sale if you want them.

- the Puig screens are made of thin material and not very stable so when you get behind a truck for example they flex a lot.

- I’m currently running the standard KTM 1290 SA-T screen with the MRA x-creen spoiler which is the best setup so far for me.

- I’ve got a Givi Airflow coming to try out ...

- whatever you do won’t be as good as a K1600 for weather protection!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Oh and there’s a massive thread on Advrider about this - which my note above pretty much summarises.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The thing i've learned about 1190 screens, is what works for one person rarely seems to work for anyone else, even if they are similar heights.

I've tried...

Stock 1190S screen - Considerable buffeting. Intolerable on anything but lower position.

1190S Touring screen - Just as bad as stock. Intolerable buffeting on anything but lower position. Looks worse.

1290 (now T) screen + spacers - Works reasonably well. It's not great though. Looks odd.

1190R screen - Smallest, but surprisingly works pretty well in upper or lower positions. Not great at higher speeds 70/80+ if wearing a peaked helmet.

1190R screen with Puig spoiler - No problems at all for me. Looks better without the spoiler.

I'm 5' 10"

I tried S screens on three R's now, 1190, 1290, and 790.

Always concluded the R screens were better, I'm 6'1".

But no screen on the 790 is the best I've found!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom