Altberg Boots

Neil W

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Popped down to Altberg this morning as I was after a set of lightweight walking boots, arrived 30 minutes early (they open at 9 am ) and sat down in the car to wait, one member of production staff wandered across from the factory just to inform me that they opened at nine and then about 10 minutes later the shop manager arrived.
Immediately walked across and asked if we had been waiting long and said that as soon as he got his coat off he would open the shop , got in for just after twenty to nine, boots purchased and out the door before nine.
Typical of their level of service .
Just for the hipsters amongst you they are now doing the Hoggs and other bike boots in brown leather to match your seats and distressed leather jackets.
Also as of Saturday factory is shut for 2 weeks for summer holidays

Yeah - good to hear - I'm also a big fan.

Around a year ago, I took the GF on the motorbike to get her some new 3 season walking boots. Pointed out my motorbike boots had a sole slightly coming away. I didn't expect anything really as the boots are probably 15+ years old, however they took my cordial "complaint" really seriously and asked me to post them back in (obviously I wanted to wear them for the journey home).
They repaired my biker boots and even paid postage... after 15+ years!
Awesome service.

I went there in May and when asked replied size 45/6, I was told we use English sizes here !

Ordered boots, they arrived as scheduled, tried on feel perfect, I’m saving them for the winter :D

Their quality and service is truly 5*.. had a pair of Altbergs in the late 90,s ... wore them most days for my commuting to and from work ...and had them resoled about 10 years ago .. not sure they do that postal resole service anymore ... still have them .. truly money well spent in the first instance, so for that Altberg can have a bounce :bounce1

And here they are .....

Attachments

• IMG_2212.jpg
    IMG_2212.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 728
  • IMG_2214.jpg
    IMG_2214.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 730
Popped down to Altberg this morning as I was after a set of lightweight walking boots, arrived 30 minutes early (they open at 9 am ) and sat down in the car to wait, one member of production staff wandered across from the factory just to inform me that they opened at nine and then about 10 minutes later the shop manager arrived.
Immediately walked across and asked if we had been waiting long and said that as soon as he got his coat off he would open the shop , got in for just after twenty to nine, boots purchased and out the door before nine.
Typical of their level of service .
Just for the hipsters amongst you they are now doing the Hoggs and other bike boots in brown leather to match your seats and distressed leather jackets.
Also as of Saturday factory is shut for 2 weeks for summer holidays

I agree, awesome service.
Bernt56

They used to do a complete refurb in worn out leather panels if needed but due to some people complaining they didnt fit the same afterwards they stopped doing it. Basically you had a pair of Altbergs for life really then some numpty couldnt understand they needed to break them in a bit if a new panel is fitted and now only do the soles. Very comfortable boots and old fashioned service with quality products made in the UK keeps them in business which is great to see in these times.

They used to do a complete refurb in worn out leather panels if needed but due to some people complaining they didnt fit the same afterwards they stopped doing it. Basically you had a pair of Altbergs for life really then some numpty couldnt understand they needed to break them in a bit if a new panel is fitted and now only do the soles. Very comfortable boots and old fashioned service with quality products made in the UK keeps them in business which is great to see in these times.

I have had Altberg boots for years and agree they are very good. But just one correction, they are not all made in the UK. They have a factory in Italy and the owner, shares his time between the two locations. But that doesn't detract from the product at all, haven't heard any complaints about the quality of the product.

Back in the 2000s in the Marines we would buy Altbergs and Lowas as they were so much better than issue boots and if you were lucky or in the right place you could get them supplied on a medical chit. I do Army Reserve work these days and was happy to see that you can choose them as the issued boot now but unfortunately they are not the same as the ones you buy and were giving me problems after a few hard yomps. The story I got was that the military stuff is outsourced to a factory in Spain due to high volume so not the same design or quality. The other issue option is the German Haigs which turned out to be extremely good like the real Altbergs and what I wear now. They dont look as stylish or have the reputation of the Altbergs so not so many serving personnel use them but they are excellent boots.

Haig's or Haix? I've got a very good pair of Haix that I alternate between with a pair of Altberg Defenders for walking.

Back
Top Bottom