This buffeting business is breaking me!

We Make Life A Ride

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So I've got an 11 plate f650gs with a givi touring screen and I have just added an aftermarket wind deflector. I was getting terrible wind noise around side of helmet and being blown all over the place. Wind deflector seems to have cured some but not all of the noise around the helmet, currently have it setup so that I am just looking an inch or two over top of deflector.

But I'm also being buffeted quite badly around the shoulder area. Hard to explain the feeling but it's like a constant left then right action, never feels like wind is blowing equally on both sides of my body. I'm inclined to think that the problem now might be the mirrors causing that. This is generally happening only over 60mph.

I have standard seat, am 5'11" and 32" inseem.

Anyone got any suggestions please? I'm almost at point of not wanting to ride it at motorway speeds just now.

Things I can think of trying:-

- Spacers on bottom of screen to make gap bigger
- Mirror extension bars

I had a BMW touring screen on two F800GSsk I’m 6ft and didn’t have a problem, maybe that would help.

Yeah I sort of get the whole small screen/no screen thing and I do plan to try it just to see the difference but I'm doing 120 mile per day commute, of which 70% is on motorway. Granted I have car too so dont use bike everyday but I do use it whenever sun is shining.

SO my options appear to be: -

1. put up with it as is - it is bearable but not a pleasant ride
2. take a gamble on a screen change - may or may not work, money wasted if it doesn't
3. remove screen - instead of current problem instead being blasted with wind so strong I develop fatigue in my arms and neck as a result of trying to stay up straight at 70mph and likely also being blasted by horizontal rain if I catch a shower

I can say with almost certainty number 3 isn't going too happen, at least not on a permanent basis anyway.

No one mentions the mirrors or adding extra spacers to bottom of screen, are they generally not an issue on the twin's?

Also ref the touring screen, a quick google reveals load of 'BMW Touring Screen' anyone able to post a link of an actual tried and tested one for tall rider please.

Also ref the touring screen, a quick google reveals load of 'BMW Touring Screen' anyone able to post a link of an actual tried and tested one for tall rider please.

BMW's own touring screen ...

i-rgtcNQ9-L.jpg

i-62VPRrw-L.jpg

Dunno if yours would be the same though?

Ah yeah. I've just seen one that shape. I'll see if I can source one, thanks.

Cool picture btw. Those directions are clear as mud :D

I had similar problem on 800gs took everything off mirrors screen gps went for a ride hardly any noise buffeting etc put things back one at a time found out it was the bmw touring screen that was the main problem went back to the original screen and settled at that then one ride out noticed straight away the buffeting was back couldn’t work it out but I was wearing a different jacket returned home swapped jacket no buffeting came to the conclusion the jacket was the problem too loose fitting around the shoulders now have puig screen and different jacket 6ft 3” hardly any noise no buffeting

A correctly designed windshield will have provision for air to enter at the bottom to relieve the vacuum that forms in the back side and direct that flow upward along the inner surface of the shield such that it joins the outside stream at the top of the shield and carries on over your head. Check out Aeroflow windshields for your bike. You would take their tall touring shield. It is pricey but it works very well.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Screens are such a personal thing: what is perfect for one person may be hopeless for another. Tiny variations in arm/body length, seat height etc etc can make all the difference.
I went with Eagle screens in Perth, Oz - the remotest city in the world, and 9 days later a beautifully wrapped parcel appeared on my doorstep. The contents served me very well, but as I say, screens are a lottery. Good luck!

Given the weather conditions of late, I think I would wait a while until we have some more calm conditions before condemning you current set-up.

Then, just take your time & try to trace the problem should it remain; just moving your left hand around in the air stream should enable you to pick up on the culprit. It could be mirrors, up-draught or even your helmet vent settings that need changing. Just work through everything methodically. What type of ear/hearing protection are you using?

I have also noticed my jacket creates a lot of ear noise, coming off my shoulder. Right particularly. If I cinch the jacket in or stretch my body the noise abates. Also when I wore my older helmet, the noise was way less. So many things interact with the windflow...

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1563662676940.jpg
    FB_IMG_1563662676940.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 571
  • Screenshot_20190816-224133.jpg
    Screenshot_20190816-224133.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 563
Given the weather conditions of late, I think I would wait a while until we have some more calm conditions before condemning you current set-up.

Then, just take your time & try to trace the problem should it remain; just moving your left hand around in the air stream should enable you to pick up on the culprit. It could be mirrors, up-draught or even your helmet vent settings that need changing. Just work through everything methodically. What type of ear/hearing protection are you using?

I'm inclined to think this is probably a sensible suggestion. After a ride out to my Mountain Rescue team on Thursday evening I did think that the situation had improved. But then it was calm and the wind had abated so perhaps its just weather wind that I am experiencing and I guess there's nowt we can do about mother nature. But I also adjusted my wind deflector too so now am not so sure.

Sometbing else I've seen also are winglets all the reviews I've seen seem to rave about them improving wind problems especially at higher speeds. Anyone tried them?

I guess ultimately though I'm going to need to wait for a perfectly calm day then as many of you say just move my hand around to find the culprit and go from there.

I've had my 2008 800GS since February and I've tried various screens and combinations. What suits me best so far is the BMW Touring Screen with a Laminar Lip on it. All bought from this site.
I prefer it to the MRA screen I still have and will probably sell - I have one of these on my 1150GSA and it works well, slightly better than on the 800GS for me anyway.

I've had my 2008 800GS since February and I've tried various screens and combinations. What suits me best so far is the BMW Touring Screen with a Laminar Lip on it. All bought from this site.
I prefer it to the MRA screen I still have and will probably sell - I have one of these on my 1150GSA and it works well, slightly better than on the 800GS for me anyway.

How much? :)

As an aside to that. I had a play at prodding the air this morning on my commute. The buffeting is defo around my shoulder/chest/armpit area. Feel like its blowing me from side to side. It never feels equal on both sides. Today I noticed I put one of my big shovel hands over the wing mirrors then I could only feel it on the other side. I could also feel some updraft from the sides too if I place my hand flat t the floor just behind the handlebars/grips but that didnt seem to me to be a powerful enough blast to be causing any issues. I'll do a short test run on a quiet road without any mirrors to confirm as soon as I can.

Anyone use mirror extenders to any great effect? Or even altogether different mirrors?

Back
Top Bottom